Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

My list of NTCompatible games

Please forgive me if this is a stoopid question. I get to play about one game a year.

I installed Might & Magic IV & V (combined to make World of Xeen) using apcompat. Now I'm trying to run it. This is Win2K, SP1.

According to the list, it looks like I need to run xeen.exe from command.com. I've tried and can't seem to get it to work. This is what I do: Start->Run... command.com. Command window comes up. CD to the right directory. Type xeen.exe.

I've created a .pif file with all the memory options set to their maximum.

It does not change to full screen. The cursor just goes to the next line then nothing happens beyond that.

Would someone please be kind enough to provide some more explicit instructions for those of us who have thick heads?

Thanks.

^

This one should never dropped down from the first page smile

Add Rouge Squadron to the list of unworking games, louds up than I go to create my player and it won't let me type and I have to ctrl alt del, out of it

-Amnesiac

HOW DID you get your the sims livin large to work??? i get a erorr of out of disk space...HELP MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Rogue Squadron needs a patch for DirectX to play well in Windows 2k.

Quote:

For D W Anderson. I have a Asus GeForce ddr and by using the info on the website below, was able to get NFSHS working perfect in Win 2000 Adv. Server. Actually I didn't even need to do the last part of the install which was connecting multiple times to the EA Update server for it to run in 3D.
http://www.w2kgamer.com/w2knfshshowto.htm

Good luck and have fun.

The link doesn't work.

The game patches make the game playable with DirectX in Windows 2K.

The first patch is not found anymore at Lucas Arts but check here:

http://www.gamepower.com/games/html/7250patch.html

http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?file=27649

Rogue Squadron is a very good game with some technical problems with a number of graphic cards (Matrox, ATI, Voodoo 3). Look for Technical Reference Guides and choose Rogue Squadron here:

http://support.lucasarts.com/

DosFreak...........if you're out there, got a quick question for you.

Using Win2KPro. Have not yet downloaded SP1, SP2, or the MS Compatibility file(s). Only problems with my move from 98SE to 2KPro have, so far, been a scanner exe. file sucking up resources, and a Logitech driver that caused a reboot when coming back from "sleep mode". As you suggested to me in another forum, the change from 98 to 2000 has been fairly painless.

Here's the game question. Loaded Warzone2000; game plays; sound works; etc, but there is a momentary lag-time between moving the mouse cusor and when the screen scrolls; and, when things blow up, the explosions show up on the screen as white boxes of various sizes. Neither occurred when playing under Win98SE.

Using older Diamond Viper550 w/ newest TNT drivers I can find. From my description, would your best guesstimate be that I'm dealing with a game-compatibility or video card issue? Haven't tried loading the other games I like to play: East Front, East Front II, West Front, Caesar II, Shogun, Recoil.

SnapperOne.

p.s.: Whether or not I ever get any of my legacy-games to play, thanks for the "push" towards 2KPro. Best think I ever did!

Could be video drivers or a game incompatibility. I'lload up the demo tonight since I don't have the full game and give it a try.

DosFreak........

Thanks for the response!

Is it "allowed" to send copies of discontinued; ie...no longer supported by the original manufacturer, programs and/or games? If it is, and you think it would be of benefit, I'll shot the game over to you.

SnapperOne

Well I went home and found out that I didn't have Warzone 2000. Only Warzone 2100 which worked fine.

Do you know of anyone else who has the game that it works fine for?

DosFreak wont windows xp help win2k out? Like give it more driver support on hardware , and more support on games , software ,etc ?

Curious

BTW DosFreak do you have any new compat. update from RC1 yet or no ?

Wonder if it works any good in win2k the RC1 compat update?

Thanks

DosFreak..........

As always, thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I don't personally know, nor have found anyone on the web who plays the game on any MS OS let alone 2KPro. Oh well......, looks like another game is getting closer to the circular file.

BTW, since you didn't mention my earlier "uploading question", is it safe to assume that uploading the game to you is a no-no, even if the game is no longer sold or supported by the software company.

SnapperOne

Snapper, No. Upping is fine as long as you PM the person and don't post links on the board. Unfortuantely I only have net access at work so I cannot offer FTP. I've been looking around on the net for the game but I haven't seen it.

intim, XP really will not be that different from 2k as far as games running on it goes. BUT the big difference will be that game companies will start supporting the games more. So as soon as companies start patching their games for XP you can be sure that they will work on 2k. Also if a game only works in XP and does not work in 2K you can be sure that there is a way to easily get it to work in 2K.

smile

I have updated my Windows 2000 Game Compatibility list.

305 games work in Windows 2000.

24 games do not work in Windows 2000.

Refer to the first post in this thread to see the difference! smile

(and no XP has nothing to do with these games working!)

If you want the list ask for it at d0sfreak@yahoo.com!

I will be adding the results to the NTCompatible Game list shortly.

DosFreak well i cant wait till windows xp come out so i can play maybe some of ym ea sports game they never would work. Like Nascar Revoultion , Sim theme park , Sims livin large , etc

But if they dont work ever then thats fine i can live without them because win2k is a good enough OS to give those games up forever.

I am happy i will beable to use all kind of windows xp drivers in win2k that will be a nice thing. Cant wait!!

DosFreak.........

Have you ever felt like a putz? Well I do right now! Simply put, something just didn't seem "right" about the post where you said,

".....I....found out that I didn't have Warzone 2000. Only Warzone 2100....."

......so I went back an re-read it! Well (and you don't know how embarassed I am to say this), I found that I've been repeatedly mis-typing Warzone 2000, when I should have been typing Warzone 2100 by EIDOS. Once again, I apologize for the curveball.

Now that we know we're both working with the same program, does that portion of your prior post where you say.....

".....Only Warzone 2100.....worked fine."

....now have more significance relative to my original question about screen movement lagging behing cursor movement? During play under Win98SE, mouse movement and screen-scroll were virtually identical.

Once again, sorry about the recurring typo!

SnapperOne

DosFreak BTW how did you get 305 games work in Windows 2000 now?

with win2k 1.5 compat update or windows xp compat update from beta 2 ?

or just the normal windows compat. from windows update?

DosFreak and do you have compat update for win2k that uses RC1 compat mode or no? Like the same files and such or windows 2k 1.5 compat. update MS just released is just as good?

Thanks

For now forget about using the XP Compatibility toolkit in 2K. The 2000 1.5 App kit has all of the fixes that the XP Compatibility toolkit does. XP MIGHT have a few more game fixes right now (It definetly will have more on retail release) but anyways if you can't fix your games using the Windows 2000 1.5 App Kit then just give up for now. wink

Ok as far as Warzone 2100 is concerned....I made a Windows 2000 Game Demo Compatibility list which includes 800+ games. I checked that when I went home and noticed that Warzone 2100 worked fine. I know that if I put it in there that it works but I will check it again when I go home (I compiled that list like 3 months ago.).

It's highly likely tho that it is your video card. Can you borrow a newer video card to test it out? If your planning on gamming in Windows 2000 anyways you might as well fork out the money and get a GF2/3/Radeon/Kyro.

Nvidia has the best 2000 drivers at the moment but the TNT hasn't been the focus in Nvidia's drivers for a loooonnngg time.

DosFreak........

Already tried WarZone2100 (Hurray! Finally typed it correctly!) onto another PC here at home that is virtually identical to my PC. This second PC also runs Win2KPro, but with a slightly newer (and I mean slightly newer) video card (a Viper770 w/32Mb) and a PIII-667 vs. a PIII-533 processor.

Same results w/ explosions looking like white squares of varying sizes and screen movement lagging behind cursor movement.

With regard to your suggestion about biting the bullit and upgrading video, having just built both of these machines, so I guess I'm trying to squeeze my nickles a bit to hard. Right now I've narrowed my video card search to a Hercules GF2MX 32MB AGP or a GF2 GTS (Pro? $$$$$) 64MB from somebody. I was looking seriously at a Radeon, but I just kept reading about people having driver issues.

SnapperOne

What Nvidia drivers have you tried? 14.20 are the lastest but I do not know how good they are with the TNT/2

DosFreak........

Since I couldn't figure out the step-by-step procedure for installing new video drivers over older ones, a friend did it for me. Still don't know how he did it though.

Nonetheless, he loaded Detonator 12.20 drivers with no improvement. Didn't make it worse, but it didn't make it better either.

Further, since he was moving and wasn't going to be around to help with any unforeseen problems with the 12.20 driver, I had him uninstalled the 12.20 drivers, remove and reinstall the Viper550, and let Win2KPro install the MS drivers the OS spec'd for the Viper.

I can hear everyone moaning now, "How could you go back to the MS drivers". Well, since I don't fully understand the driver replacement procedure and therefore can't back my way out of a problem, I opted to go back to what I knew would work without a hitch......except for games.

SnapperOne

Hmmmm. The demo works perfectly here. Tried it last night. Runs great. Sigh, Somethings wrong with your config.