Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kcrispell

Giants Preformance through Win2k

I was wondering what type of preformce people are getting through win2k. With my configuration i only get between 12-18 fps, when i action gets bad i get like 6 fps at full detail at 640x480x16. I was wondering what win98/me get. Even if i turn off all the detail i still get about the same fps. What is everone else getting?

I'm not getting great framerates, but it's definitely better than that! How do you show fps?

you should NEVER be getting that low of FPS with Windows 2000 with a system like that one you have. I mean, i'm getting like 40 to 50 FPS at 1024x768x16 with an original RivaTNT PCI Video card.

Tried DX8?? have all of the latest Windows Update patches?? What games?? Tried running 3DMark 2000 to see what it has to say??

[ January 04, 2001: Message edited by: jdulmage ]

[ January 04, 2001: Message edited by: jdulmage ]

oh oh wait..

you have Vertical Sync turned off? if not, you better turn it off, I think there is a way to do that with Powerstrip or maybe that GeForce 2 fix thing?

I installed DX8 and turned off vsync, but it still runs the same, what OS are you using to get it to run that fast?

Something peculiar a friend of mine came across, was that he got better performance at 1280x1024 than 1024x768..

Worked for me too..

try a higher resolution.

Also if your processor is slow try adjusting the view distance. That will affect your fps the most.

This is going to sound really strange, but for me to get better performance on my work machine I had to turn down my audio hardware acceleration all the way down to using just emulation. Then I got kick *** frame rates using all settings maxed. Just a thought.

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

For Win2k users, try this too. It's not gonna solve all your problems but it DOES help give you a better gaming environment in general. I've been very happy with it since I started using it.

http://www.gameroffice.com/

There is obviously somthing wrong with Direct3D in windows 2000, all D3D games run (very) badly in win2k, but OpenGL games run just as fast or faster....( which sucks because i love win2k)

Giants in particualr runs almost half as well in win2k as it does in win98...

Jdulmage, load up the hunger in codpeice hills level in giants, and step through the arch and look at the town, what FPS do you get (in win2k) looking at the town? i get about 18 FPS (in 640x480x32 or 1024x768x32, both are very slow) while i get 31+ FPS in windows98

Im running the Detonator 6.67 Drivers in Windows2000, and 6.49 in Win98

system specs:

P-III 900

192 mb sdram

Geforce 2 GTS 32mb

is it possible im doing somthing wrong?

either i have somthing set wrong, or there is somthing VERY wrong with d3d in win2k

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdulmage:

you should NEVER be getting that low of FPS with Windows 2000 with a system like that one you have. I mean, i'm getting like 40 to 50 FPS at 1024x768x16 with an original RivaTNT PCI Video card.

Tried DX8?? have all of the latest Windows Update patches?? What games?? Tried running 3DMark 2000 to see what it has to say??

[ January 04, 2001: Message edited by: jdulmage ]</font>

There seems to be a problem with SB Live cards in general with this game.. My framerates are very bad in this game as well. Ive also read that if you are overclocking, run your proc at normal speed and see if that helps.

Johnny