Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ozy

Quake 3 stuck at 60hz refreshrate..?

Ok, my friend has just installed win2k and while everything is hunky-dory on the desktop, as soon as he goes into Quake 3 - the refresh rate goes to 60hz.. he has a Geforce 1 + Nvidia 6.47 drivers (same happens with latest non-beta drivers).

Anyone know how to remedy this?

Ah forget that, just got a message from my friend.. he downloaded Powerstrip and that fixed it, so all those who had the same problem - there's 'ya solution!

There's a little bit simpler solution. Disable verticle sync in the display adaptor settings. smile

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

there is a maxfps variable in the q3config file. check this out also.

"com_maxfps 100" affects online play. If you want to leave it wide open, go to the console and type "/seta com_maxfps 0" without the quotes, and that will allow you to run as fast as possible online. The idea behind this cap is to control "speed-induced lag", where a machine could produce so many fps, that the world updates would eventually not be able to keep up and cause a lag situation.

As far as the 60Hz thing, I would have just used the cool refresh rate util for nVidia cards over at tweakfiles.com. It works great. Then, you can have the monitor run at whatever refresh rate (within spec would be advisable :)) you like.

edit

Let me re-phrase the statement about the com_maxfps setting. When you play a game, it creates a server. Then the com_maxfps will come in to play. Normally, I have seen the default for this value at 100, so staying at a steady 60fps would probably mean that the monitor is the cap. In addition, the com_maxfps line would have no impact on the refresh rate of the monitor, only the framerate that is rendered while in game. This setting is also bypassed when running timedemos.

/edit

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 29 November 2000).]

There's also a file that can be found in the October news archives that fixes the refresh rate problem.

For everyone else, he's not talking about fps, he's talking refresh. nVidia cards default to 60Hz unless you set them otherwise using some 3rd party app.

If you go to www.filees.com and search for nvferfix youcan DL a util that lets you set your refresh rate for any resolution.