Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Win2k Pro and Games: Still lower performance than win9x?

Also how do the Celeron II's run under Win2k Pro? I just installed a Celeron II 566 @ 875 to replace my Celeron 300a @ 450

------------------

Celeron II 566@850 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH,

SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, Tentatively trying out WinME Final, (leaning back towards Win2k Pro though smile )

no opinions?

------------------

Celeron II 566@875 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH,

SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, Win98FE

Benchmarks show that Win2K lags behind Win9x in games if you have DirectX 7. With DirectX 8, Win2K beats Win9x.

Of course, there's always a catch. First, Win2K falls apart unless you have a lot of memory (I'd say 192 MB of RAM for games like Q3 or UT).

Worse still, if you've got a Sound Blaster Live! card, depending on your hardware configuration, enabling EAX will throttle your performance and stability. Blame Creative's flaky drivers for that.

*Shrugs*

Every single game I have played under Win2000 either runs with the same level or better performance than it did under Win9x.

And I have an SB Live! running, with EAX enabled in all games that use it - no noticable slow-downs at all.

------------------

PIII 800EB, ASUS CUSL2, 512MB PC133 (CAS2) RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA100 30GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

hmmm... my tbird 800+TNT2U gets about 85+ frames/sec in q3 demo001 with sound and normal settings. i'd say that's pretty decent with 128 megs of ram... i plan to upgrade my ram when DDR ram comes out, but it seems to run alright with less right now. UT is another story though... it crashes in D3D for reasons unknown to me, but in OpenGL it's kinda slow, but it doesnt crash.

Yesssssssssssssssss finally someone agrees with me that win2k sucks for games.

NOTE TO ADMINS : please dont ban me (again) for posting this. Its just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidNewbould:
Yesssssssssssssssss finally someone agrees with me that win2k sucks for games. .

Dear DavidNewbould:

Once again, you prove that some people NEED to run WindowsME. wink

NOTE TO ADMINS : please dont ban him (again). We need people like DavidNewbould around to demonstrate the need for "simple" operating systems. Kinda like having Harley-Davidsons and Hondas; each fulfills a market niche. wink

laughlaughlaughlaugh

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

LOL

Oh how very true.

Maybe the WinME boys could use that quote as a slogan for selling their product!

'Yerrrrr, buy WinME cause Win2k Suxssss at games'

LOL

DavidNewbould, read what it says in his sig."(Leaning back towards Win2k Pro though smile )" WinME and 9X were designed for complete newbies and 4 year olds (you). I have dual PIII 900's, and will WinME support both?? NO!! That piece of **** OS will only see one of my PIII's. Anyway my frame rate in win2k kicks the ass of Winme owners (according to 3dMark2000 online result browser) If you don’t like Windows 2000 go to WinME.com and stir up some brilliant conversations with them about how Win2k sucks cause we do NOT care about all your little childish comments.

Lets face it guys. WHO CARES - As long as your game runs fast enough to play and lets face it who needs to run at 80-100FPS then it is pointless. From My experience (Computer Technician/Preload Development and Testing) Win2K IS Far better than WinME.

ME has numerous problems with Audio and in general is not too stable. From Experience here with both Workstations/My PC at home, and W2K Servers we have found it to be VERY stable. (I have NOT rebooted my machine in the last 3 weeks and i play UT every night).

As long as your hardware is not from the stone age then 2K should not have too much performance problems. The only thing is the need for ram. (I run 256 Anyway but i did run 128) Overall if you dont want to have to reload and repatch/Tweak your OS 2K is better.

Well i have a mixed review.. With Quake 3 and any Open GL game WIN2000 rips both WinME and 98 using the same revision reference drivers.. But weh i install direct x 8 WIn 2000 rips my EQ up so I just use WinME to play direct 3d..least for now smile

i'm adding my two cents in because I don't like David...

buddy, how does an operating system that has excellent memory handling, works well with your hardware, when patches installed and you have a good video card and 99 % of the games run on it fine, so how can it suck for games? look at Whistler too, I suppose he'll start to say that Windows Me is better than Whistler once Whistler is done, hell son, it's better than Windows Me right now. Watch out Microsoft, David may come to your door saying that his DOS games won't work in Whistler, so he ain't installing it...

idiot..

edit

Only good thing about 9x right now is the fact that I can enable Bass and Treble Settings, unfortunely has caused me to play games in 9x frown simply because NT will not enable the damn Bass and Treble for me, the 9x drivers do, the NT drivers don't. If that was fixed or if I found a fix for it, I would be removing WinMe and sticking with the one and only, Win2k, until Whistler...

end edit

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 17 November 2000).]

hey i seem to remember seeing DavidNewbould's picture on the Win 3.11 posters that came out when that was the OS of choice. LOL DavidNewbould is the poster child for Win 3.11 ROFL

------------------

Celeron II 566@875 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH,

SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, Win98FE

Oops, I read your other post. Sorry dunno how to fix. Newer Creative drivers would perhaps be the key but I doubt Creative will release 'em any time soon.

Ahem, I couldnt enable it either, but installing latest drivers made them go again. But it seems like a known issue

Hey, I hope SMP is working in next drivers but it dont seem they will include it, or else drivers will have to be re-written from scratch (and not ported) and that takes time probably around late january/mid february)

David,

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here

but Win2k is the superior os and

for different reasons. Pc Health

and system restore murders system

peformance in ME, you should talk

to the guys who install the hardware

and OS on Computers at stores if they tell you that Millenium is there dream os to

install with a straight face on a clients machine I have a bridge to sell you too.

Well pr-man I have a C2 566@850 and W2K runs just fine (4+ months) I have found comperable gaming performance between W2K and W98SE same fps in Quake and every other game runs just fine.