Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pendragon

My computer hangs whenever I try to play!

Just a quick - yet very crusual question!

Whenever I try to play a game it's on for about 1 min. and then it hangs! When I'm in programs and just Windows 2000 itself nothing is wrong.

It's a brand new computer so the hardware should be fine! Besides, it worked when I used Windows ME.

Please help me caus I really dont want to format my drive!

I'm not so sure of that! I got the latest ones (6.47 i think) and I would assume they work fine?

But maybe I should try and install some others..

If you're talking 6.47 drivers, then that might be where the problem lies. The official Nvidia driver release is 6.31.

A lot of people have reported scuccess with the 6.47 drivers, but they are leaked betas and not an official release.

Try it and see what happens.

Also, log onto Windows Update, and make sure have all the Compatibility Updates installed.

Are you overclocking your cpu or video card? Overheating tends to cause the same problem you describe.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat; you talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

Check your IRQ`s..and/or use your Administrative tools to find what application is causing the problem.

thats a retarded way to solve a problem IMO (no offense intended). Your better off running an NT based OS because everything is going NT anyway so its frivolous to use it because come this time next year 9x support will be phased out and you will only have ME (shudder) and NT 5 and 5.1 support

Well you're probably right! Besides THE **** STILL DOESN'T WORK!!! frown

Maybe it's the graphics-card which is ****ed up! And to think I just bought it!

Does your computer contain VIA AGP chip set?

[This message has been edited by bhoon (edited 11 November 2000).]

I would be willing to bet that you are running at 2X AGP with SideBand Addressing enabled.

To test it, use a program like WCPUID and check the AGP settings.

SideBand Addressing only improves you FPS by 1-2 frames and is extremely unstable. 2X AGP on the other hand can give a significant performance increase.

So ideally, you would run AGP 2X with SideBand Addressing DISABLED. HOWEVER....I've have no clue how to disable SBA. So if you can't, try running SBA enabled at 1X AGP.

Not ideal, but I bet it fixes the lockups.