Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmmac1

Problems with mplayer

Good evening.

I have read the threads about mplayer and they are just about incomprehensible. And I hear the people who created it are not very newbie friendly. Well anyway, I downloaded the source .bz2 for mplayer, version .92. I did a ./configure, a make and then a make install. So I try this : mplayer Panama.wma and I get the following from mplayer.

[root@localhost scratch]# mplayer Panama.wma

MPlayer 0.92-3.2.2 © 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Family: 6, Stepping: 6)

Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0

Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory

Reading config file /root/.mplayer/config

Reading /root/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/root/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory

Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory

Using built-in default codecs.conf

font: can't open file: /root/.mplayer/font/font.desc

font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc

Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).

Can't open input config file /root/.mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory

Can't open input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory

Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config

Setting up LIRC support...

mplayer: could not connect to socket

mplayer: No such file or directory

Failed to open LIRC support.

You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing Panama.wma

ASF file format detected.

Clip info:

name: Panama

author: Van Halen

copyright: Copyright © (p) 2001 Warner Bros. Label. All rights reserved.

comments: Not Available

==========================================================================

Requested audio codec family [wmadmo] (afm=dmo) not available (enable it at compilation)

Requested audio codec family [divx] (afm=acm) not available (enable it at compilation)

Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders

AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 16002->176400 (128.0 kbit)

Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm:ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (ffmpeg))

==========================================================================

Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...

AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, little endian signed int

AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)

AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian) (2 bps)

Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...

Video: no video

Starting playback...

A: -0.0 0.0% 0%

Exiting... (End of file)

And nothing is played. Could someone tell me how to get this thing to work, or to find another way to play wma files. Thanks.

Jim Macdonald

I just compiled Mplayer from source also! Brave souls, we are. I have read that compiling Mplayer is a difficult process, and you should usually just install a precompiled binary for your distro. With that said, here's what I did...

It appears that you did not compile in support for Windows codecs. At MPlayer HQ's download page, you'll find a link to additional codecs. Get them ALL (certainly the Win32's as this seems to be what you're after). Create a directory called /usr/local/lib/codecs and dump all the codecs in there that you downloaded. Get them out of the folders they came compressed in, and just put the naked laugh codecs in that directory you just created. Then, when you do ./configure for MPlayer, use the following options:

--with-codecslibdir /usr/local/lib/codecs

and

--with-win32codecs /usr/local/lib/codecs

Actually, the above options are probably not exact. Use:

./configure --help

to get the exact syntax. Then configure, make, and make install (or checkinstall is my preference for easy package management...)

The finished product is quite nice. MPlayer can handle just about any video file format, and there's a neat plugin you can get for Mozilla (linked on MPlayer's website) to play imbedded video on webpages! And to think I paid $30 for that dang Crossover plugin... ;(

Happy compiling!!!

--Akshun J

ok i came to this board through a google search and i think this information is maybe useful:

./configure --with-codecsdir=/usr/local/lib/codecs --enable gui (if you want to use the gui....)

that will work!

so if you get a error with you config file try this:

vi .mplayer/config

and add this entry: vo=x11

so now it works 100%

thx to akshunj for your tutorial about the codecs smile

I have gotten the same type off errors when trying to get mplayer to run.

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory

I also have ran ./configure / make then make install. So can I just recompile with the new things that I know from this board or do I need to uninstall mplayer and start over. I am so new please dont laugh. If I need to uninstall everything is there a tool?

I am new to linux and also mplayer and the support is a bit harsh but I hear this is suppose to be one of the best movie players.

So to get ready to recompile I have downloaded the codecs for win32 and then another that the directory is called extralite it has

atrc.so.6.0 drv4.so.6.0 QuickTimeEssentials.qtx vid_3ivX.xa

cook.so.6.0 dspr.so.6.0 QuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx wma9dmod.dll

ddnt.so.6.0 ir32_32.dll QuickTime.qts wmadmod.dll

dnet.so.6.0 ir41_32.dll sipr.so.6.0 wmspdmod.dll

drv2.so.6.0 ir50_32.dll tokf.so.6.0 wmv9dmod.dll

drv3.so.6.0 qtmlClient.dll tokr.so.6.0 wmvdmod.dll

So should this be all of the codecs I need?

What should I do next. Recompile and point the configure to the codecs directory or do I uninstall and start from scratch?

Thanks,

Such a newbie

Hey all.

I have another one:

I got mplayer via CVS.

I basically followed the instructions in:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/README

Then, I went to:

http://www.gpblackcaucus.us/cobb_debates.html#

and clicked one of the Quicktime files. The video seemed to play fine, but the audio was just a series of high pitched beeps. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Mike