Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kailinin

cd burning

hi im trying to burn debian iso that i downloaded onto cd (im using eroaster), my problem is that first eroaster wanted me to log in as root before it would detect the cd writer (gave me permission error), i tried running it as a different user (root) using run command, this unfortunatly still didnt work, so i tried to burn the cd anyway but it still tells me that it cant detect the cd writer.

if anyone could help me i would be grateful.

There used to be an excellent "How to" on Eclipt eroaster on the net that I'm having trouble finding now.

Under preferences, there is a place where you can click to ask it to detect your burning device. Have you already done that?

Eroaster is the best and simplest burning front end I've found under Linux!

yes i've already tried that but all i get is

Couldn`t detect your reader / recorder !

Please make sure that you are root or that you`re allowed to read /dev/sg* !

and when i try write this is what it gives me

scsidev: '0,0,0'

scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24

/usr//bin/cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Drive found in this target.

Cdrecord 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jorg Schiling

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'

atapi: 1

Device type : Removable Disk

Version : 2

Response Format: 2

Capabilities :

Vendor_info :'UFD '

Identifikation : '

Revision : '7.77'

Device seems to be: Generic CCS Disk

i was wondering if it was also not perhaps mandrake that isn't picking up the cdwriter cause it says it cant find the drive at /usr//bin/cdrecord when you try write.

still really confused.

Hmm. Well one thing's for sure, it's not going to work until it see's your reader/recorder. I'm no Linux expert, but you might want to try looking at the permissions and ownership of /dev/sg. Other than that I'm afraid I wouldn't know. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Maybe you've got the drive assigned to the wrong address in eroaster's preferences. Try typing this as root:

cdrecord -scanbus

That should return some useful info about where your burner is. Post it here if you like. Eroaster is looking for your drive on 0,0,0 and that may not be where it is...

--Akshun J

off subject akshunj, but I was reading what you have at the bottom of your post. Pretty cool! Have you checked out Morphix-Gnome? Their splash screen is baby tux in one of the Matrix type black suits and the logo reads "take the red pill." laugh

ok tried cdrecord -scanbus gave me this

[root@kailinineiraile kailinin]# cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jorg Schilling

cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.

cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

[root@kailinineiraile kailinin]#

then went into the mandrake control center, went to hardware, this is what it said about the cd writer

Bus: ide

Drive capacity: burner

Channel: secondary

New devfs device: /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

Old device file: /dev/hdc

Media class: cdrom

i also went through midnight commander to try find dev/sg but couldnt find it, i think this is probably whats wrong but i dont know if it is or how to fix it if it is.

Is your eroaster the one that came on the Mandrake cd's or one you downloaded? I'm not saying this will work, but if it were me, I'd try going into Mdk control panel and deleting eroaster and cdrecord, then reinstall cdrecord first and eroaster second. Mandrake also comes with gnometoaster and xcdroast. Both are not as user friendly as eroaster, but you may want to try them to see if they give you the same errors since all three are frontends for cdrecord. Which Mandrake are you using? I used eroaster in Mandrake 9.0 which came with the cd's and everything worked perfectly.

Is your eroaster the one that came on the Mandrake cd's or one you downloaded? I'm not saying this will work, but if it were me, I'd try going into Mdk control panel and deleting eroaster and cdrecord, then reinstall cdrecord first and eroaster second. Mandrake also comes with gnometoaster and xcdroast. Both are not as user friendly as eroaster, but you may want to try them to see if they give you the same errors since all three are frontends for cdrecord. Which Mandrake are you using? I used eroaster in Mandrake 9.0 which came with the cd's and everything worked perfectly.

i'm using the one's that came with the mandrake 9.1 cd's. but i've also downloaded the latest version havent tried them yet though.

OK. I started to say something before but didn't want to jump the gun. I don't know what anyone elses experience has been, but when I tried to "upgrade" from 9.0 to 9.1 is was like going from heaven straight into hell! wink

I found 9.1 so full of problems that after 2 weeks I felt it wasn't worth it and reinstalled 9.0 which is the best release of Mandrake in my experience. I'm now using RedHat 9.0 at home.

If 9.1 is giving you other major problems as it did me, you may want to consider dropping back to 9.0, and eroaster will likely work without problems to boot! smile

Don't go to 9.2 though! It's still in Beta and there are issues that need to be worked out with it as well. I presently run 9.0 on two of my work computers.

Looks like you don't have SCSI emulation set up. Without that CD burning won't work.