Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Naiko

Need For Speed 3

I'm trying to install NFS3 to use on my LAN. Working with NT4.0 sp6. I found the directX 5 for NT fix, but looks like it's not enough. I heard about a NT fix for NFS3 but can't find it... Or is there any other way to make it work ? Please help...

Hello NeedForSpeeder!

I would let go of NT4 and install Win2000 instead. I think that the DirectX-On-NT was never intended to be used as a way to get DirectX onto NT. Tried it for ages ago, but I never got any cool games to work on it...

Think about it; DirectX needs support from the graphic card drivers, sound card drivers and maybe joystick drivers. Since NT drivers must only support DirectX 3 (am I correct here?), DirecX 5 means that your're on your own.

With Windows 2000 you get the latest versions of all drivers to your new hardware.

Hope I've enlightened you...

/Krister

I'm sure W2k is full of advantages vs NT4, but well, hum, I must admit we're playing at work, using the company LAN, so I don't think saying W2K as better performances for games could be a strong argument to push them to change OS. I really need help to install that ... game on NT, or maybe you can advice another great racing game which could run without problem, ? Would Test Drive 4 do ?

Hmmm, what about GPL, in software rendering mode, a great racing game. That works with NT4. Just tried it on my second development machine. A whopping Pentium 90 with 64 MB and a Matrox Mill II running NT4 Server SP6a.

The framerate is, hmmm, *low* on that machine, but it works. Has multiplayer mode too. NICE !

/Krister

Sorry. Didn't notice that the link to the NFS3 NT patch was broken. Its now fixed.

Thanks a lot. I tried a few minutes ago, but I have a european version of NFS3, and the patch doesn't work with it... Think I'm gonna sit down and cry for a while...

No you don't want to sit down and cry you want to go an d get a copy of Windows 2000 ! Alright NFS 3 Still won't work, I've tried that many times but you'll be glad you changed your o/s.

------------------

------

My Computer

Pentium II 350

Gigabyte 6BXC M/B

16 meg Voodoo 3 2000 AGP

128 Meg of RAM

18 gig Western Digital Expert HDD UDMA 66

Sound Blaster Live ! 256

56k Modula Tech V90 USB modem

4 x SCSI writer

Advansys Host SCSI controller

I have installed and played NFS 3 just fine on Win2k. I updated with the compatibility patch from MS before I tried to install it. No problems so far.

Ed