Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DigitalDude

UT won't run on Win2K

When I run Unreal Tournament with the latest patch, I get the error: The instruction at "0x0040986d" referenced memory at "0x4196c4ed". The memory could not be "read". Any ideas?

Unfortunately, I don't know. I do know, however, that Unreal Tourny doesn't like Windows 2000 at all. It runs incredibly sluggish on my Athlon 700, 64mb GeForce 2 GTS comp....which I suppose is why I prefer Q3 at the moment.

-Ex-

UT likes my system just fine in windows 2000: p3 700, tnt2u.... maybe it's your amd pos smile jk.... not trying to start a flame war......

DigitalDude: did it work before you applied the patch? Also tell us a bit more about your situation: what's in your computer, are you using direct3d or opengl, etc.

UT runs great on my K7 550@750 so its not your processor. I will need more info to help you..like a detailed install info.

did you try fresh install on win2k and then UT without any updates or patches.

what type of MB and Memory. did you try moving memory to different dimm slots...

check it out and get back to me. Send me an email if you want.

Michael

Well, I just tried doing a fresh install. Now I got a different error than usual. "The exception Privileged instruction. (0xc0000096) occured in the application at location 0x0040aae4." Laddyboy, I have 96 megs of SDRAM 66Mhz DIMMs. I haven't tried swaping the DIMMs, somehow I don't think that'll fix the problem.

Still need more info:

Video card

cpu type (Im guessing Celeron if running pc66,any other CPU and pc66 doesnt cut it)

sound card

------------------

Well, I have a Diamond Monster Fusion PCI (Voodoo Banshee chipset) video card, my cpu is a AMD K6-2 300 Mhz. My sound card is a Crystal.

are you overclocking at all. are you running that pc66 at 100mhz.

what are your system specs?

I have athlon 700 with Geforce2 and it runs sweet (50-75 FPS average). I had trouble on initial install but reinstalled and it is fine. I am using the 413 patch for UT. Try changing your AGP aperture size and might want to kick it up to 128MB of ram on your system.

Runs fine here with Voodoo5 in D3D mode.

Only problem I have is that the mouse is incredibly fast. Like moving the mouse an inch will cause me in the game to rotate 360 degrees. I have the mouse speed in UT on slowest, but it still goes like crazy.

Brendan

I'm running UT with the 420 patch on Win2k Pro, with an Athlon 700MHz and a GeForce2 with no probs. Infact it seems to run better in 2k than it did in 98. It ran like hell before I installed the 420 patch, but that seems to have taken care of it for me...

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDude:
Well, I just tried doing a fresh install. Now I got a different error than usual. "The exception Privileged instruction. (0xc0000096) occured in the application at location 0x0040aae4." Laddyboy, I have 96 megs of SDRAM 66Mhz DIMMs. I haven't tried swaping the DIMMs, somehow I don't think that'll fix the problem.

96 megs of RAM? You need more RAM, around 128+ if you're planning to use Windows 2000. My Windows 2000 takes 186 megs of RAM in processes. I think it would be a good idea for an upgrade to PC-133 RAM with 128+ of RAM and a new Pentium III CPU. Also check for motherboard bios updates if you can't afford an update ( did they have flash bios back in the PC-66 days? ).

------------------
Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.0 Motherboard
Dual Intel Pentium III 850
512 MEGS of ECC RAM
Sound Blaster Live!
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card
GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive
Western Digital 20.5GB Hard Drive
Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)
Roland Sound Canvis SC-55
3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card
Plextor Plexwriter 12/4/32
Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM
Sony GDM-F500R Monitor

They've had flash bios for a loooooooooooonnnng time. Just flashed a P75@90 yesterday with a "new" bios. heh. smile

yep... just stick in more ram (you should remove and sell your old PC66 ram) and your UT woes will mostly disappear. UT ran like a dog on my friend's PII 450/TNT2 Pro/128Mb of RAM/Win 2000 Pro machine. He upgraded to 192Mb of RAM and viola: UT then ran fine!

I dont know what the solution is but its not the quality of your RAM or which slot it is in. (probably)

The memory error message is just telling you that UT tried to access some memory that was not allocated to it:-illigal operation type thing, except windows 2000 handles it a lot better than 98.

You could do with some more memory though.

Jump into your bios, make sure all caching and shaddowing is OFF/disabled. Make sure that that memory hole at 15-16MB is disabled, Make sure your cas latency is set to 3 and your timing is set to 10ns. Not sure what agp aperture you should have but 64mb seems to be the default. Check to see if your bios has a setting for pnp os, turn it off. Also, make a page file of (minimum) 128MB, 256 would be better, and make sure the minimum isn't less than 128. Good luck.

Well, I almost forgot to mention. The game runs perfectly fine for me on Windows 98. But, I'd perfer to run it on Win2K.

Digitaldude,

To put it bluntly. MUCH MORE RAM, DUDE.

Win2K loves at least 192Mb of ram to stop all the disk paging with your games. 256Mb is even better. 96Mb is just fine for Win9x but just won't cut the cheese with Win2k.

I start with 128Mb under Win2k and the only game I could play was Q3 (OpenGL). As soon as I tried Direct3D my disk access light was on almost constantly.

192Mb bit better under Direct3D (GODLIKE under OpenGL). 256Mb of RAM I can run Q3 at 1024 x 768 32bit smooth as on my TNT2 PRO 32Mb (PIII 450/100Mhz bus) and UT runs like a demon. One word dude, RAM.