Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
In2Deep

Vampire The Masquerade and W2K

Bought the game, won't install. Is it/Will it be W2k compatible? Has anyone had luck installing it yet?

------------------

One can not be betrayed if one does not have any people

Well i am not sure if it is win2k or not but i also can't install it. this is what i am running any help PLEASE!!

AMDk6III 400mhz

256 ram

tnt2 ultra

Win2k professional

what else could be the problem????

Please tell us HOW it won't install and perhaps we can help you.

------------------

*gniltrohc yawa srednaw*

ok. the fist screen comes up ok. i click install and it starts to open the installshield or what ever and then as the screen starts to swich (i guess to the install screen i would't really know) it comes up saying that file _INS5576._MP.exe created fatal errors and will be shut down. then the install is frozen and nothing more happens. i have not found anything to fix this as of yet.

That is the same error I get. I have to go to task manager and shut down the setup program which is not responding in the background. I wound up just installing WIN95 and dual booting now just to play this game. It better be good.

Athlon 700

Viper TNT2

Aureal SQ2500

160MB

------------------

A friend of mine ran into this problem. After reading through the readme and contacting the company, he told me that the game is optimized to run on Intel hardware, and that AMD hardware was not officially supported. They are aware of these problems, but whether they are attempting to fix them, I don't know.

I've got a Win2k machine on a Celeron 300a@464, and my install went fine. I can't run the game, though, because of my vide-card. I need the 3.75 GeForce drivers, darnit!

[This message has been edited by WyldKard (edited 08 June 2000).]

I do not think it is an AMD issue. I am running on an Athlon and could not install under W2K. I have a dual O/S so I switched to Win95 and it installed and plays fine with same Athlon processor. I think it is an O/S issue, not a processor one. Activision shot me a tech support email back saying that "Windows 2000 offers horrible hardware and driver support" and he continued to write that they do not expect a patch to make it W2K compatible. Whoever is running it on W2K should feel lucky - everyone else, get yourself a dual O/S.

------------------

so... maybe i am a little slow but how do i go about dual booting between my current win2000 instalation and win98. can i just install it somehow? i want to play someone please help me!! this is so anoying that they didn't make it compatable enough

I have had Win95/Win 2000 on different partitions since my first install of w2k. If you only have one partition currently You will not be able to install WIn98 without reformatting (I think that is right). There is a software called Partition Magic which can partition your one drive into 2 drives though and then Win98 can be installed. On boot you will be given the option of which O/S to choose

------------------

i've installed vampires on my machine and it worked fine. i've heard reports of geforce owners finding graphics problems but i haven't had any and am running it a res of 1280 and 32 bit.

my spec is

PII 333

128 Megs of Ram

Intel bx2 motherboard

Geforce ddr

and sblive

the only prob has is game won't allow me use eax as it says it isn't supported

apart from that it runs like a dream laugh

ok. so since i alreay have 2 drives (c: and D smile all i have to do is boot to dos and use the win98 cd and tell it to install to the d ;( then when i boot it will give me an option of which one to boot to? if it is that simple i guess i will do it asap.

Could not install under W2K. Installed under Win95 and now it plays in W2K. Whatever!! At least it works.

------------------

Read this somewhee, thought it might help

"Got a program that's refusing to run or install in Windows 2000 but you wanna do it anyway? Well here's how you trick your apps:

1. Insert your Windows 2000 CD.

2. Go into the Support folder.

3. Load the APCOMPAT.EXE file.

4. Select the OS you need to use, for example Windows 98.

5. In the "Start the following program" point it to the location of the setup file you wish to run.

6. Click Ok."

I cant get Vampire to run either, i get that _INS5576._MP.exe error

these are my specs

AMD K6II 400mhz

160MB Ram

Win2k pro

Voodoo 3 2000 (latest drivers)

and that apcompat.exe program dont help. SOMEONE figure this out please...dont want to return this game to the store. :(((

A link to the Redemption support page can be found over at http://www.planetvampire.com

There's a method of copying the CD contents to a directory and installing out of that. I've heard people trying that, and being able to get around the "crash on install" problems.

Activision updated their FAQ for the game. Go to Activision.com and go to support of Vampire for PC. They address the error message issue - not sure if it works though. I installed through Win95 and am not about to uninstall it to rely on activision just yet.

------------------

I have the following systems...

PII 233MHz, 96MB RAM, Voodoo3 2000

Athlon 700MHz, 256MB RAM, GeForce2

Both systems are running Win2k Pro, and the Athlon system was dual-booting WinMe at the time. The game installed and ran fine on the PII system, but the Athlon system experienced all of the problems previously mentioned in this thread. Sooo, I copied the game from the PII to the Athlon, imported the reg settings and it seemed to play fine for a long while. Now that I'm at the Vienna stage, the game crashes when I attempt to leave through the East Gate. BTW, the game installed fine in WinMe, but crashed instantly when attempting to play it. What does all this mean? Hell if I know.. smile Guess 2k has some problem with the Athlon er the GeForce. Go figure...

stay with Win98SE for games, Microsoft screwed up Millenium and it blows on certain games which will no longer run and Windows 2000 needs better driver support.