Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exorcist

Ground Control

I read the compatiblity thing and saw that Ground Control apparently worked fine in Win2k, and as I wanted to buy it I went ahead. Installed it, said no to install Dx7a and tried to run it, well, it came up with an error message - and crashed in a big way and ate up memory like no-ones business, I don't get it smirk

Any ideas?

-Ex-

Anyone? - I've tried selecting the install Dx7a option, but it doesn't look like it actually installs anything. Patching it to 1008 and still the same error. A Dialogue box comes up titled D3DX Error with "DDERR_GENERIC" in it.

I've checked the Ground Control forums on Sierras site, knowledge base, etc, etc. Sent a mail to tech support to get the usual "Win2k aint for games" rubbish. (which I do know, to pre-empt smart-ass replies here smile )

Really want to get this working frown

-Ex-

I've been playing Ground Control on Win2k Pro without a problem. Well.. I take that back, there is an annoying sound glitch. The sound on pre-mission breifings stutters badly, as does the music. However the in-game voice and sound effects work fine. I'm sure these problems have to do with Creative's ****ty liveware drivers. BTW, it will not detect DX7 - you should choose to continue without installing it.

Yeah, I've tried either trying to install the DX7 drivers or say "no" to the install...after the install it still crashes on startup, either before or after the patch frown

-Ex-

I have Ground Control installed and running fine (I'll get back to this in a min) but I have DX 8 installed. This could be why it's working.

Like neurobash, I also have sound problems, but not just the stuttering at the pre-mission breifing. After about 4-5 min into the game, all I get is this really loud annoying buzzing noise. It's enough to drive you NUTS! 1008 patch didn't resolve this issue in any way at all.

Gawd damn Creative!!

Pitty really, GC is a kick ass game.

------------------

Intel PIII 450

ASUS P2B-F (BIOS 1012)

128 MB PC 100 SDRam

Diamond Viper 770 32Mb TNT2 (Det. 5.17)

Quantum Fireball CR 8.4Gb IDE HDD

Quantum Capella 2.2Gb SCSI HDD

Tekram DC-310 SCSI Adapter

Panasonic CW-7502 8x4 SCSI CD-R

Mitsubishi Diamond Data 32x IDE CD Rom

Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 (ES 1370)

Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D USB Joystick

Epson Stylus Color 400 Printer

Dynalink V1456VQE-R External 56k V.90 Modem

Daewoo 710b 17" Monitor

Windows 2000 2195.1

#NTCompatible on UNDERNET!!!

I think i have found how to fix the error DX_blah blah... Maybe D3D drivers for u 3D Card aren't installed or maybe u have to reinstall Windows... This game works fine under Win2K and if u really want to play it and can't repair the problem, the best solution is to reinstall Win2K. BTW, my sound is good ( i don't have a SLive!, so i think it's the problem... I have a Vortex2).

I have been playing GC on win2k with virtually no problems.

The movies do stutter a little but other than that its great.

BTW, the game is fantastic.

System

P3 650

Geforce/ 5.30

soundblaster live