Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alamos

dx8 sux

I just installed dx 8 for win2k and unfortunately they dont work too well. Well its really my fault for being curious. Anyhow how do i go about installing win2k dx 7 drivers again? looked in win2k cd theres no instance of dx7 installation anywhere.

anyone know?

a while back somone made a patch that would reinstall Dx7 if you ever damaged the files, i think it was dosfreak that made it try searching

sfc /scannow from commdand prompt should replace DX8 with the older version 7 files, hopefully. BUT it will also replace any other updated files!!

I could send ya the files if you want them...if I still have them! I don't think your problems are caused by DX8 though. I haven't had a problem with them yet! Also uncompress the DX8 compressed package and run the Uninstall utility....it might reinstall DX7.

Hey all,

just a question in regards to Directx8.0

I have a dual boot with win2k, and win98

i find that win98 plays my games faster than win2k...

I have the directx8 installed for win2k, but when i try to install it in 98, it says the version wasnt designed for it. the file is dx8nteng.exe

question is, i thought dx8 would be the same for all O/S's? is there a seperate file for the win98based kernels?

thanks,.

Listen to this: dx8NTeng.exe. Hmmm, why is there a N and a T in there? Awh, probably nothing, i just run it on Win98, why wouldn't it work???

------------------

AMD Athlon 750MHz

ASUS K7V

ASUS V6800 PURE

128MB 133RAM

20,5 GB IBM HD

thank you sherlock, i saw that too..

MY question was, i thought DX8 would be streamlined for all Windows operating systems.

Eg. One file works for all O/s's.

Was i incorrect in that assumption, or will the final product be 'one for all'

I'm testing DX 8 and have had no problems so far W2K. There was a different d/load for Win9x. I have not check it out yet but will soon.

When you uninstall DX 8 it will put the DX 7 files back in place for you. At least that is what has been said in other forums.

notsosmart

would you be able to tell me where the win98 download for directx 8 is?

i wanted to see how it runs under 98 vs. 2k

im sure that there has to be one somewhere, if there was a win2k one.

no there isn't one. Yet. MS stopped accepting Beta testers ages ago. So the chances of getting are gone.

I use DX 8 with W2K SP 1 and no problems at all. To tell you the truth in CS the smoke looks real good and I do not lose and fps.

firstly for the dx7 files for win2k go to www.win2kworld.com and you'll find it under the download section. (probably in one of the archives)

secondly here are my specs:

p2-450

tnt

256mb ram

latest nvidia 5.22 drivers

has anyone tried dx8 on similar specs, and would they advise me to install it?

Regards,

CyRUS64

http://www.boob.co.uk

I've noticed those DX7 files aren't the same version as the retail Pro. Unless they have changed them recently.

thats a trade secret we cant tell ya :), all the links ive had are dead. As for SP1 Ive heard it should be out this month DX 8 im not sure when the release for it is.

DX8 on the system stated below is perfect boobman:

------------------

System Spec:

FIC VA-503+ 1.1b bios JE438

CPU Current Limiter Disabled

AMD K6-2 550 (300 when I talk to FIC tech support)

128Mb SSi PC100

STB Velocity 4400 16Mb PAL TV-Out

Hauppauge Wintv

Realtek 8029 LAN

Creative ES1371 (PCI64v)

56.6K (AkA 44k) ISA Modem

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW, 6,4,24)

Maxtor 91301U3 13Gb

LS120

and com and lpt i/o conflict error during bios startup.

Hardware fault caused by win2k beta3 and dodgy bios, now irrepairable.