Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Veddar

STICKY KEYS FIXED!!! - I KID YOU NOT!!!!

It is finally over, irritating sticky keys in Windows 2000, for once I can dump Windows 98 in the bin and light the match, and come to the bliss of Windows 2000

Ok before you all say this is just another hack saying its fixed, its not. Here are the steps to get rid of sticky keys!!

1. Download Direct X 8.0 Beta, dont ask me for a download site, but email zzottt@uswest.net ,he is the person I grabbed it from, Thankyou again smile

2. Do not install Direct X 8.0, whilst in Win2k standard, I did this, it installs with no unseen problems, but further examination and it does not replace the 7.0a files, and fausley reports it is running DX8.0

Extract the files to a temp directory (Right click the unpacker -> extract to -> wherever you want the temp dir) then restart your computer and boot up in Win2k safe mode

When you are in safe mode, go to the temp file you extracted the files too, then copy them all (Ctrl+A), and then paste them into your System32 directory (C:/Winnt/System32)

Two files will refuse to update as they are in use, do not worry just let them go, but make sure to overwrite all the rest.

After you have done this reboot back into Win2k

3. Run DXDIAG (Start -> Run -> DXDIAG) and you will see now, MOST files are updated, this is all you need.

If you followed the instructions above you should now be able to play all the games that were giving you troubles before

Games I have tested

1. Rogue Spear - Use to be frequent sticky keys - Now nothing!!!

2. Rally Championship - Use to be frequent sticky keys - Now nothing!!!

3. Quake 3 - Use to be mild sticky keys - Now nothing!!!

OpenGL and D3D seem to be working flawlesly, and the sound is much better!

Please let me know how you got on?? If you have any problems email, but it looks like a GREAT DAY for Windows 2000 smile

The system i used:

P3 500Mhz

Abit BE6

128 MB RAM

Quantum LM 30GB Udma 66

Diamond V770 Ultra TNT2

Sony 5x DVD

40x Reader

Mitusbishi 4x Burner

Hollywood+ Decoder

Adaptec 2940 SCSI Adapter

Intel Pro100B Network Card

I did exactly what you are telling, 10 days or so ago.

The setup will not install anything but only 2 files -don't remember which ones- even if it says that it is copying all files and blah blah. You're right dxdiag then will report you have directx8 installed but it is not true.

So I extracted and copied manually in safe mode.

The result was a completely sc****d directx setup with a lot of problems with no sound, dead webcam, crazy midi ports, etc.

I ran the win2kdx8unistall prog to repair but it was not enough.

I had to do a repair reinstall of the os from the original cd to get directx7 restored.

DX8beta suxxs frown

I think you should try it again smile

Well worth the gains, I went and tried it again, not 1 fault with any of my games, it is nice not having sticky keys anymore smile

The official DX8 Beta1 is a lot bigger then the one you ben seeing on the NET which has both Win98 & Win2000 drivers wiegth at 22meg for core run time.

Who ever put that package real mess up.

But it works SHS, so who cares atm, as long as it's fixed this stupid sticky keys problem

Which just goes to show Microsoft screwed the pooch when they put Direct X 7.0A in into the buikds, as thats when the problem started, RC2 = 2128 With Direct X 7 was fine, so must be some problem with a direct input file or something along those lines??

Anyway who cares its now getting EASIER to play games on a non gaming os smile

------------------

Its True! Its True!

ADSOLUTELY FUC*ING FANTASTIC!!!! Not a single instance of sticky keys to be found. You're a legend Veddar!!

Worked great here!!

------------------

Intel PIII 450

ASUS P2B-F (BIOS 1012)

128 MB PC 100 SDRam

Diamond Viper 770 32Mb TNT2 (Det. 5.16)

Quantum Fireball CR 8.4Gb HDD

Tekram DC-310 SCSI Adapter

Panasonic CW-7502 SCSI 8x4 CD-R

Mitsubishi Diamond Data 32x IDE CD Rom

Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 (ES 1370)

Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D USB

Epson Stylus Color 400

Dynalink V1456VQE-R External 56k V.90

Daewoo 710b 17"

Windows 2000 2195.1

#NTCompatible on UNDERNET!!!

I would call that a hack, not a fix.

I wouldnt touch it. It may fix a small problem but can, and probably already has caused more unseen issues that you may not find out about till later.

Anyway, each to there own :-).

Well, I did the fix about 5 days ago now, but suddenly the built in BULL*HIT file protection has decided to kick in and replace all the updated DX8 files. It only took it 5 days to realise, but hey that's MS for ya. How on earth do you turn this crap off so I can play my games properly once again?!??!?!!

Great fix, pitty about MS idea of system control.

Sticky Keys: You know how if you see a really nice and pretty girl on your computer... well you can guess the rest, but it can get your keyboard in a right state!

smile

I just tried it and it works quite well, the keys still get stuck in NFS:Porsche Unleashed, but only about once per race, makes it much more playable. Before it was impossible to go in a straight line!

A word of warning though, make sure you dont replace those two files (which cannot be replaced in safe mode). I did it in Win98, and transfered all the files, it messed up Win2k bad, had to re-install.

When i did it in Win2k safe mode it works fine.

So, I tried again.

I copied everything in safe mode then rebooted to normal mode : none copied file will stay but the two ones I already quoted in my previous post frown

Seems file protection won't let me do that???

Is there a safe way to force Win2k to accept the new files?

I don't want to s**** my box again doing the copy operation the dirty way, ie from Win98 or even dos.

Is there any way to turn off this bogus file protection at all?? I've lived this long without MS telling me what files I do and don't need, I sure as hell don't need it now.

As i asked in an earlier post in Tweaks, what does the app "c:\winnt\system32\skeys.exe" do?

------------------

Written on:

PII 300

160mb RAM

i740 8mb

20gb Seagate

6gb WDCaviar

Using 100% Australian Made recyclable electrons