Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tristan777

soldier of fortune and maybe win2k

soldier of fortune runs unplayable slow. the sound and video is extremely choppy in the intros. i have yet to actually play the game because i cant get passed the menus because its too choppy.

my setup is:

amd k6- III 450

viper v770 ultra w/ detonator 5.13

sb live! value with sb live! for win2k drivers

128 megs of ram

i think thats about it...

i also have a 13 gig wd hd, a netgear 10/100 nic and a cheapo v.90 modem.

i tried reinstalling the game several times. i even went through the registry and deleted every key i could find with raven or soldier of fortune in it. i also patched it with the only patch i could find which was a 1.04 patch that i got from sofnews.com

i know my system can handle it because i have a friend with the same system as mine except he has a voodoo banshee and a diamond sonic impact sound card and a 10 gig maxtor.

any idea?

thank you in advance...

I have the exact same problem!

It's some kind of video related issue. I used to get the same choppyness with Q3, now I get it with SOF. Only way I found to get it working, was to format and reinstall, with Q3 the first thing I installed, after the video drivers.

Problem seem to have got better as drivers have matured, but now SOF decides it doesn't wanna play nicely!!

Sorry I couldn't help more

------------------

Intel PIII 450

ASUS P2B-F (BIOS 1012)

128 MB PC 100 SDRam

Diamond Viper 770 32Mb TNT2 (Det. 5.14)

Quantum Fireball 8.4Gb HDD

Tekram DC-310 SCSI Adapter

Panasonic CW-7502 SCSI CD-R

Mitsubishi Diamond Data 32x IDE CD Rom

Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 (ES 1370)

Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D USB

Epson Stylus Color 400

Dynalink V1456VQE External 56k V.90

Daewoo 710b 17"

Windows 2000 2195.1

#NTCompatible on UNDERNET!!!

Well.. one of the first things you should have done is checked Raven's Support BBS (it has answered this question literally dozens of times).

You have 2 solutions:

1.) Using the TNT2 chipset (like your Diamond Viper), you can NOT run the game as an administrator (either it won't run at all or it is incredibly slow). The best thing to do is create a new user (PowerUser) and set the game to run as a different user (right click on the SoF.exe->Properties-> Run as different user).

or the easier method:

2.) Download the latest patch that fixes this specific windows 2000 + tnt2 error: http://www.soffiles.com/download.php3?directory=files&filename=sof104patch.exe&ID=105

(if that doesn't work.. head to http://www.sofffiles.com and choose the link

for the 1.04 patch from the main page)

------------------

"Contrary to popular belief, there are many forms of ignorance, not all of which are bliss."

Grrr...

just read the topic completely..

i use the official win2k reference drivers from Nvidia and the patch, and have yet to have a problem running SOF (beat the game the other day...).

------------------

"Contrary to popular belief, there are many forms of ignorance, not all of which are bliss."

In windows 2k you cant play the game in Administrator mode, log in as a guest or create another power user account. Works great.

nonsense, I played the complete game as administrator ... it's an error that is only bugging on some systems ...

Here is the answer to your problem....

you need to go and obtain the newest patch for the game. I did that, and the main reason for the patch was to fix the admin problem.

admin only worked for a select few, it worked for my friend, but he upgraded ram and then it stopped working.

just get the latest patch and it will work.

I also had the problem with a very choppy running SoF. My problem was very simple...

or solution is the better word..

Just run of EAX in the game! Then it works great, even with admin.

correction:

TURN OF EAX... instead of run eax or something like that... sorry guys.

it was a long day smile

Silent_one is right

it is even writen in the readme on the cd !

you can't run the game right when you have administrator rights, login as a normal user, not on youre domain

I beat the game under NT logged as administrator...didn't crash ONCE. Why should that be different under w2k?

i dont know but it is. ok i logged in as a power user and it runs now, but it's slow. i dont mean slow like before but the game is very choppy. it's halfway playable but not enjoyable. and i know it shouldnt be this bad because like i said before i have seen it run on my friend's system with the banshee. i have the latest update as well.

any ideas?

also, thank you all. aparently the forum decided it didnt want to email me notification of replies anymore, which is the reason for the delay.

ok, i applied the patch and now it doesnt run. so either it runs horribly or it doesnt run at all. geez... anyway, does anybody have any ideas? thanks for the help

-tristan