Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarU

Direct X 7.0a for win2k???? Will it work with win2k?

One question I have to ask...

Which joysticks are people having problems with under W2K? Both my MS 3D PP and MS FF Pro work perfectly.

Perhaps its the game port hardware or driver, or even the stick driver that is at fault...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

Hey Yuppie, if you noticed, both of your products are Microsoft! Of course they will work. They are the damn makers of the operating system. smile

EddiE314 : Yup, I'm back - and with 535 post still only "Senior Member"

HarU : Yes, they're both MS sticks, but their are several points to make...

1. Just 'cos the hardware is from the same company as the OS, doesn't mean it'll work. Ever tried the MS Phone under W2K?

2. There are several "moving parts" to this problem...

[*]stick itself

[*]game port hardware

[*]game port driver

[*]stick driver

[*]directx

[*]game

[/list:u]

If my sticks work on my setup (and FWIW so do the generic no-name game pads I have) but another stick doesn't, the problem is more likely to be the stick driver than DirectX.

However, without knowing which sticks, ports and drivers people are having issues with...we can only make a "best guess" as to what might be wrong.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

you think thats bad???!?! my Phoebe 56k v90 died and now i am using some Rockwell chipset 28.8 connecting at 38.4kbps, i doubt thats the real speed i am getting though, know any good Hardware modems that work in win2k? Yea, dial-up does suck, especially for you, downgrading from ADSL to 56k has to hurt.

I'm using an "HCF 56K PCI Modem" that i got from a computer fair for 20 quid (about $30).

W2K recognised it straight away...

Really? cool, maybe i can find it. I sold both my celly 400's for $200, haha, you can get 'em new for -$150. so i have $50 to waste, i might just check out that modem, Hey, i got an old Socket 7 (i430vx) mobo, but no jumper settings for it. It was free so i couldn't complain, i also got an Intel Pentium 166 MMX for it, i know the mobo can support it and then some because i got a 430fx and it goes up to 200MHz and it was made in like 95 and this one was made in 96, here's more specs for it

AT

2 IDE

1 FDC

4 72pin DIMM slots

1 168pin DIMM slot

4 PCI slots

3 ISA slots

1 SSM slot

This is what reads on the chipset chip:

PCIset

SB82437VX

L6293745

So, does anyone know where to get the DirtectX 8.0 beta drivers without regeistoring as a beta tester?

thanks

man, you guys are about lame and a half. if you would just READ each otherss posts you could actually accomplish something. Let me clarify the situation.

you can install beos in a BFS partition, but, it must be a primary partition and you must install beos 5 from the windows program first, then install beos 5 into the BFS partition from within beos 5. also, the beboot menu won't see win2k, but it can, just enter it manualy, also, you can bypass the win2k boot menu by simply deleting the boot.ini file from the c: root.

what are you talking about?! this post is about DirectX, not BFS partitions or BeOS. And no, you cannot get DX8 without being a beta tester unless it is leaked out.

Patzdandy, wtf?

Anyway im having problems with a controller called the Adaptoid (www.wishtech.com), which allows you to connect a N64 controller to the PC.

The problem occurs when i run Nemu (www.nemu.com), a n64 emulator, and try to select the Adaptoid as my controller. I get a direct input error which was fixed in windows 98 after having installed dx7a.

If anyone can get this to work, plz e-mail me at ihavesolvedyourproblemwithdx@boob.co.uk

Unfortunately, DX7A is required when the game that you are running checks the DX version and requires DX7A specifically as does High Heat Baseball 2001 from 3DO.

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneFr:

4.07.00.0700... Now stop saying that Win2K comes w/ DX7A... It comes w/ DX7... And DX7A isn't nessessary if ur Joystick/or/Gamepad works fine...

Spoken like a true... oh well.... It does matter. When you have games that give you messages saying "DirectX 7.0a must be installed" when you launch them under Win2K and then get no further, it F'ing matters.

Quote:
Originally posted by EddiE314:

Oh my God CycloneFr, you just solved the biggest mystery of the millennium!! Who would have thought that the new version of DX7 would be a little different from the one installed on win2k already? There's no difference anyway between the two, did you ever think that one OS is an NT based and the other was a 9x based? There are differences let me remind you.

man, listen, win2k comes right out of the box with DX7 installed, who gives a sh1t if its DX7a or not?

Hey, i got a copy of DirectX 9e (6.800.000.000.100.450.000.kiss.my.a$$.000.1a)

Want it?

Have a Nice Day.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 03 April 2000).]

Have you guys tried downloading dx7aeng.exe. Extracting the files from the .exe and then placing these files into your game directory? I did this with Quake 3 to see if I could get TurboGL to work in W2k and also to see if I could get any improvement in speed...I didn't of course.