Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rameen

Problem running Asheron's Call and Ultima Online on Win 2k

While running Asheron's Call the sound stops working completely about 5 minutes into the game. While trying to run Ultima Online the game either crashes out to windows when I choose the character or it crashes randomly while playing. I also get an error message after getting past the patch for Ultima Online - Failed to create mapping for mmf C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\multi.mul: Error 1006.

Of course the problem with Asheron's Call is my sound card a Monster Sound MX300 card using the A3D drivers that came with the final retail of Win2k but I'm wondering if anyone knows a fix. Also if you have any idea why UO would be crashing like that let me know. I have a TNT 2 using the Detonator 3.78 Win 2k drivers from www.nvidia.com

Haven't contacted Origin or MS tech support yet just wondering if anyone has any ideas first. Feel free to email me. Thanks.

Re: Sound dropouts: I've had similar issues depending on the background tasks running - for example, that definitely happens when Outlook plays its new mail notification sound.

It seems that when the card has transitioned to using DirectX, any "normal" sound call will pull the card out of DirectX mode.

The Win2K retail drivers have numerous problems with sound channels missing and IRQ steering among other things, so I'm waiting for Aureal's next driver release before doing anything about it!

I have the exact same problem with Asheron's Call and Win2k. The final sound I seem to be able to get is when I log on and portal into Dereth. Oh well, I thought the noise drudge skulkers made was annoying anyway smile

Ok, I have the sound working in Asheron's Call with my mx300 now smile

I simply turned off the hardware acceleration for the soundcard. Its buried and might be tricky to find but it has worked for me smile