Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GENiUS

Half-life under Win2k

I have just tried to install and run Half-life under Win2k, but made a program error right away. Does anyone know if it helps up[censored]? Or is there any other way of getting it to work?

It's ver. 1.0 of Half-life, and build 2195 of Win2k.

Thomas

Hrm. I never tried to run it without patching it first...

Runs fine on my system though with a Voodoo 3 card.

It would help us to know which video card you are using, which sound card you're using, which drivers you have installed for the devices, exactly what the error messsage you recieve (if any) is, exactly at what point the crash happens, your shoe size, your aunt's (on your father's side) maiden name and any other information you might feel is helpful.

------------------

*gniltrohc yawa srednaw*

You must patch Half-life for it to work with Win2K. The first patch will get the job done, but if you play multiplayer i think you'll have trouble getting into servers without the subsequent patches.

I've played it with a TNT2 Ultra, GeForce SDR and a GeForce DDR.

I have a Creative Riva TNT2, SoundBlaster 16. It's the standard program error Win2k gives when a program dosen't live up to Microsoft standard :-)

I will try up[censored] it, but I can't see what good that would do...

Standard program error?

STANDARD program error?

Hrm. Perhaps you use a less complicated version of Windows 2000 than I do.

Sorry so snotty, but it's been a day of end users telling me that my need for information to help them recover from crashes is bothersome and that I should be able to wave my magic wand over their machines and deduce the problem without asking for input....

Please. When you ask for help don't say things like, "It gave me the usual error message," or, "I can't see what good your advice will do." It makes us less willing to take our time to give you FREE advice.

Thanks for letting me rant.

------------------

*gniltrohc yawa srednaw*

U have to upgrade HL to get it to work. I'm running v 1.0.1.3 and it works like a charm, but v1.0 just causes a program error.

And there IS a standard windows error, namely it ****s things up and u have to restart....

------------------

Hmmm...

I aggree with all them.

The only thing I disagree on is...

I have never had a problem with any version of Half Life on my system...it's a great game.. and Opposing Force is a great sequel!

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

Do you have more than 1 CD drive?

I had the same problem and its becasue HL always looks for the CD when it does its CD-Check at the LAST DRIVE LETTER you have a CD on..not the first...stupid coding or what??