Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
johnf

Whats with DX7 & Win2K?

I was under the impression it was supposed to be a fully functional DX7. I have a Voodoo3-3000 AGP with the retail drivers. They show D3D is enabled in DXDIAG. But so many games that require DX6 do not work. Many of the LucasArts games do not work like Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, etc. They all give errors saying that DirectX is not working. Any info is appreciated.

------------------

Many of the LucasArt Games have a silly menu script that asks you to install DX6 if it cannot detect the DX6 or higher dll and vxd files.

This isn't to say that DX isn't installed on your system.

W2K does ship with (Final build 2195) DX7.0a which you would have thought run any DX D3D or DX6 or higher game.

Which for some games is mostly true.

Now, back to Lucasart games. Games like:

Grim Fandango

Jedi Knights

Monkey Island III etc...

Are looking for the Windows 9x DX files. W2K is a completely new O/S, but you can force the game to run.

All you need to do is over ride the silly menu request.

You can do this by going to the installation folder for the game (eg Grim Fandango) and look the .exe file that runs the game. Run this and the game may just run...

As for the DXDIAG. This I have found is pretty useless if you haven't got the latest Video Drivers for you 3D/2D Video Card. Get the latest Voodoo3 W2K Drivers and install these. It should help.

If you try and re-install DX6 it will just return you to the Desktop. you cannot install DX6 or lower on W2K. So worry not. DX7.0a is installed. It gets installed as a Standard feature of W2K.

When MS releases newer versions of DX, W2K will also be able to upgrade as well. Just as Win 95 or 98 can...

Hope this helps

Michael

Thanks for the info, I understand that DX7a is on here, but its just sad that Lucas built this crap to look for DX6. What did they think DX6 would not update? Or why didnt Microsoft think ahead and use the same DLL's filenames or something so it would be more compatible? Argh.

The problem I have with the Lucas games is it won't let me run the configure to even select D3D as an option, so if I run the game manually it goes into the software renderer automatically. Lame...

Hello Mickbench, I would just like to say that you are wrong on saying that you can't install DX6 on a W2K machine and I say this from personal experience as I have actually done it(was extermly tired and was running on only 3hrs of sleep, was not thinking clealy) anyway, after I installed it, it completly messed up my W2K install. SO anyone thinking about doing that You have Fair warning not to!!!!

------------------

DarkWolf

As I walk through the Darkness and the Shadows of the Night, you should be wary as you are never out of my sight.

How the hell did you manage that...

I have with me right now, LucasArts JediKnights, and have just gone into the DXSETUP Folder and run DXSETUP.EXE. I asked it to re-install Direct X, were nothing happened, and it told me DX is now installed. I have tried this two times now, one with a complete reboot, and nothing.

I would LOVE to know how you did it... Where was this Version of DX6 obtained from?

Thanks.

How the hell did you manage that...

I have with me right now, LucasArts JediKnights, and have just gone into the DXSETUP Folder and run DXSETUP.EXE. I asked it to re-install Direct X, were nothing happened, and it told me DX is now installed. I have tried this two times now, one with a complete reboot, and nothing.

I would LOVE to know how you did it... Where was this Version of DX6 obtained from?

Thanks.