Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
- Igor -

Has MS bothered to fix the "sticky keys" on W2k?

There has been lots of talk about the "sticky keys" problem with some games on W2k... has Microsoft (or anyone else) provided any solution?

Some problems appear to be PS/2 mouse related but that doesn't seem to be the case with Rally Championship 2000. I get "sticky keys" in this game while "driving" with keyboard only (and I have a serial mouse).

MS released a "compatibility update" for W2k but it didn't fix this particular problem. The latest patch for RC2000 didn't fix it either.

Any ideas?

- Igor -

Are you aware that "sticky keys" is an MS-provided "accessability option" to enable physically disadvantaged users to enjoy the OS?

By default, the control and shift keys become "sticky" if pressed repeatedly 5 times.

Use the Control Panel, Accessability Options to modify these features to suit you.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

Nobody is talking about the "sticky keys" as the "accessability option" in Win2k. This happens even if you don't have "sticky keys" enabled. Just try to play for example "Aliens vs Predator" which has a serious sticky keys problem. Making the game unplayable. This happens with the keyboard AND mouse.

try setting optimize performance to background services in control panel/system/advance it may help.

AVP_SAV: Is this a confirmed fix for this sticky key problem? This is the first I've read about a workaround. I haven't even bothered to install any games on my fresh load of Win2000 because of this problem and it's the only thing that forces me to dual boot Win2K & Win98SE.

Rob

Quote:
Originally posted by YuppieScum:
By default, the control and shift keys become "sticky" if pressed repeatedly 5 times.

I know about the accessability options and I have disabled them. Besides I don't use CTRL and shift keys in RC2000.

Quote:
Originally posted by APV_SAV:
try setting optimize performance to background services in control panel/system/advance it may help.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm not having any "stickiness" in Quake3 or UT (kb + mouse), but as I said before I have a serial mouse and most of these problems appear with PS/2 mouse and keyboard (and are fixed by moving the mouse to serial port).

- Igor -

Yes changeing performance to background apps fixed sticky keys in RC2000. wonder if it makes anyother changes?

It's a error where windows overlooks that a button has been released. I happens when you release a key while the system has other more important matters to attend to. Not all computers have this problem, it depends on how much you have running, and how many resources you have (ram and cpu).

Cool. I'll have to buy more RAM and a faster CPU to get the OS realise that I have released a key... no thanks.

BTW, while playing RC2000 I had no other apps running and I thought that Celeron 366@567MHz + 128Mb would have been enough for W2k...

- Igor -

switching to background is just a work around for sticky keys/mouse in games. We still have to wait for a real fix from MS for it only help reduce it.