Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lynx

Problem wtih refresh rate?

hi,

sry, my englis is bad, but anyway.

My question is: Anytime when I run some games, why refresh rate alway drops? Exaple: (quake2/3, Rally Chamiponchip 2000 etc.) My windows desktop: 1152x864, 32 bit @85 Hz, but when I run some game, the monitor refresh alway drops at 75Hz. My point is that I have used to run all games at 800x600 and 100Hz, but now . . .

Can anyone help my pease, how can I run all games at least @85 Hz.

---------

celeron333@500

A-Trend ATC6240V2

STB Voodoo3 2000

128 MB PC100

17" Nokia Valuegraph 447"

10,2 GB Quantum Fireball CX

I am having the same exact problem. I can tweak the refresh rate on the desktop until I'm blue in the face but as soon as I fire up Quake2 the refresh rate drops to 60 hz. I am the type with very sensitive eyes and the flicker makes the game nearly unplayable for me.

Has anyone figured out how to set the refresh rate in 3D? I tried loading different default monitor configs (my monitor is not yet supported in Win2K, the Sony GDM F500) and I have tried the MultiRes and PowerStrip utilities but have had no success.

Thanks in advance to any who can help!

Originally posted by Lynx:

hi,

sry, my englis is bad, but anyway.

My question is: Anytime when I run some games, why refresh rate alway drops? Exaple:

Important. Before you attempt this backup your registry.

If you do a search in your registry for Refresh Rate you will find folders that mirror your screen resolution i.e. 640, 800, 1024 in these folder are the refresh rates for each resolution (it's usually -1 which translates to 60 Hz) set this to an acceptable refresh rate that you , your monitor and your graphics card can handle. Keep searching through the registry because these folders appear twice and keep setting the values.

Start-Run-DXDIAG

Then go to the rightmost panel, HELP i think, and click on override default DirectX refresh rate...enter the value you want, 100 or 120 Hz...

No need to reboot afterwards, however this affects only DirectX refresh rates. For OpenGL (like Quake 3, Kingpin, etc...) i don't know yet for sure, try Powerstrip or something...

Hey Cyclone can you be very very specific about what you mean by hack the INF file?

Dxdiag refresh rates also set the refresh in GL games (q3) just fine, no need to hack anything.

[This message has been edited by JRS (edited 07 March 2000).]

Well DXDIAG did not help me and I wasn't real confident about hacking up any registry or INF files.

I thought I'd give PowerStrip another try and I'm glad I did as eventually I did get it to work.

The fix:

I loaded up the game in the usual horrible 60 hz refresh, then tabbed back to the desktop and used PowerStrip to force the refresh to 100 hz. When I tabbed back to Quake2, presto...100 hz refresh! It seems to have stuck too as I rebooted and Quake2 still loads up in 100 hz refresh.

If you have a V3 all you have to do is overide the default in DXDIAG. Just choose more help and you'll see it. It doesn't work for Geforce, I know I have both. For GeForce you just edit the .inf file and delete all the refresh rates you don't want and they re-install with it. It works fantastic.

Good Luck

Slavedog can you tell me exactly which INF and what to delete? I'd like to know your method in case mine fails in the future. I guess I never even mentioned it but I have a Creative Geforce DDR.