Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reaper_uk

LAN games in win2k

i have win2k on my machine but my friends only have win98 and win98SE. when we set up a LAN, simple lan using NIC cards and BNC cable, my games often suddenly quit whereas the games in 98 don't. Quake3 plays fine, kingpin and revolts both quit. i think i'm using IPX/SPX for kingpin and revolts, don't know about quake3.

Is this a win2k/win98 LAN incompatiblity or hardware? i've got an AMDk6-2 500, voodoo3, 128mb RAM.

the lan worked fine when i had win98 also so i'm thinking its software not hardware, but is it win2k or the games or abit of both.

cheers,

ps. hope i didn't babble too much.

Quake3 will only use TCP/IP.

What do you mean by "games often suddenly quit"?

IPX/SPX is crap. Spend the time on setting up TCP/IP properly.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

by suddenly quit, i mean for no apparent reason the game will quit back to desktop, no errors or anything.

how can i configure a game to use tcp/ip when it i can only see the option to use ipx/spx?

if all you see is IPX, then you don't have TCP/IP configured right, or IPX is the only thing supported under a certain game, don't ever use IPX, use TCP/IP.

Not to insult you EddiE314, but how can you say

Quote:
...or IPX is the only thing supported under a certain game, don't ever use IPX, use TCP/IP.

in one breath? If a game doesn't support TCP then it would certainly be a feat to get it running over TCP/IP.

[This message has been edited by DFB (edited 20 February 2000).]

Actually, the punctuation character "," - the comma - is used to indicate a pause in a sentence, which in turn allows for a breath to be taken.

So EddiE314 didn't "say" it all in one breath.

Nit pick all you want, he still says "don't ever use IPX" right after acknowledging that not all games support TCP.

hi.

ummm, just realised, my original question hasn't been answered. whats causes my system, win2k, to crash from games (back to desktop no errors) when using a simple LAN with my mates who use win98? doesn't happene in quake3 which i'm told uses tcp/ip, so could it be a incompatiblity with ipx/spx between the 2 OS's? if so is there anyway around this problem? (apart from not playing the games)

I have an AMD k6-2 400 + voodoo3 3000, 128 Mb RAM and win2k 2195. and I also have the same problem with half-life, unreal tournament and quake3 (quit to desktop no errors). I have a feeling that it's the drivers, couse I haven't had the problem before upgrading to 1.0 retail drivers.

I had this problem when i was using the last offical beta version of the voodoo3 drivers. haven't tried it on the offical ones yet.

According to me, it's coming from Q3 and notthe LAN : Q3 may be crashing so quitting suddenly. Q3 is using OpenGL which is quite buggy under Win2k and I think the other games you mentionned are running D3D. As you are under Win2k, it does not kill you computer (under Win98, you may have to reboot). Just try another driver for you video card.

To play IPX games under TCP/IP, use Kali.

Awx

[This message has been edited by Awaxx (edited 28 February 2000).]

my problem wasn't with quake3, that worked fine. it was the other games that would crash, the ones using D3D, oh well. What is kali? and where can i get it from?

cheers

IPX/SPX games crashing? Make sure you have the same frame type selected on both the 98 and Win2K machines. Usually Win98 will set the frame type to auto, and not always connect correctly to a WinNT machine. I don't know how Win2K handles this, but back in the day I used to force my Win98 and NT machines to a frame type of 802.3 which is the best performant and compatible. This may help. Check Win2K also for a frame type.

------------------