Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
peaje

UT comments at the moment..

Well as much as i like Q3Arena.. i like UT.

Today i got the Cd and installed it in 2 computer. One with Win98 and the other with Win2000 RC2 with a Dual P-III 450.

What it piss me off was all the time this game took to LOAD! WAOOOOOOOOO!!! even for loading the levels!!!

Both computers did the same! I know that UT doesnt support SMP but MAN!! i get tired of waiting for this game to load. The first UNREAL took forever to load... this one is almost the same. Q3 has lots of graphics but it doesnt take that long to load.

This is just a comment to see how all of you feel about this.

Do you have a UDMA compat IDE HDD??

If so, turn UDMA mode on for that chain and see if that helps out

Yes.. i do have a UDMA IBM 8.4 Hard drive.

And Yes.. that option is checked under Device Manager.

This game has always take lots of time to load.

i just hate iT!!

How full is your HD, and is it defragged lately?

You can probably tell if it "rumbles" your HD a lot, i.e moving the anchor fourth and back alot to allocate all those small fragments lying around smile.gif

hi end pc here.. 7200 rpm drive with ata 66

q3a map loads in about 10 secs 15 max.. and ut 5-15...

Well, my UT comment atm is.... the friggen lighting!! I've read all the posts but no one seems to know how to correct this prob. I can't install the update till I get my CD back of a mate, so untill then, is there any way to fix it, or is update required??

pIII 450

128 MB ram

tnt2 32mb ram

Thanks

My hard drive is very defrag. in fact i defrag my hd every 4 or 5 days.

This game TAKES FOReveR TO LOAD!!

not even with the patch.. thats why it i hate it.

Loads pretty fast for me, its great.. no problems here, and i havent defragged in like 2 months... hrmm,

300a Celeron OC to 450MHz

128MB

Voodoo3 2000

I have a k6-2 500, 64 megs of ram, ONLY a DMA 33, and it loads like a charm.

10 secs to load at start, 5 secs to load levels, if its assault and its the other teams to play, it takes 2 seconds to load.

Try turning the intro off.

I have noticed that 128Mb Windows 2000 boxes with TNT/TNT2/GeForce cards don't like UT especially using OpenGL for 3D acceleration. I've seen total allocated memory hit 270+Mb once a UT game is up and running! Using D3D seems to use less RAM, but 3D performance may not be as good as OpenGL for some users (GeForce users take note).

Adding more RAM (eg to a total 192 or 256Mb) will of course fix the issue.

However, 3DFx owners do very well with 'only' 128Mb of RAM. Even Banshee owners can play UT extremely well using the Glide API with little or no paging.

Greggy so what your saying is that with my Dual P-III 450,TNT2 using RC2 Win 2000 i need to add more ram so the game loads faster??

Umm.... thats sound like a bug issue in Win 2000. Why this game needs more time because it uses Opengl and 128RAM??

Dual P-III 450 is pretty fast for any game plataform .. i dont know.. why could be wrong here.. everything is working perfect.

In fact this is the only game that takes so long to load.. even using D3D or Opengl as the default video on the game.

Peaje,

Indeed dual PIII's (same as I have) are nice, but keep in mind that UT as far as I know is only one proc capable. Therefore it really is only running on a single PIII. Keeping that in mind, it does basically get a dedicated PIII for the other chip can take care of the OS's needs.

Cheers,

Steve

Nah Nah Nah...

Unreal Tournament takes his time to load.. some people says "5-10 seconds" like that but it's really longer than Quake3...

Quake3 is *click* *load* finish...

UT is *click* *Load* *BIG HDD noise* *load* *yawns* *still BIG HDD noise* -> MENU! "great"

UT takes at least 15-20 seconds to start..

No it doesn't come from your config, I've seen UT running at least on 10 different config (P2, P3, Cel, 128MB, 64, 192, TNT2, Voodoo3, Savage4,...) and it was always taking so much time.

btw, Quake 3 takes !two seconds! (clock in hand) to get into the menu if I skip the intro wink though it takes roughly the same time than UT to load a level.

As it says upon loading...

UT does a lot of precaching / caching...

Hence, takes time.

Also, if you downloaded the 405B patch, you will notice that the load time is almost cut in half...

hope this helps

It doesnt matter if is 1 proc capable. it just loads slowwwwwwwww.

This Unreal Engine.. with all this precaching loading.. really slow down startup on the game.

If you ask me.. about Q3A engine and UT engine.. Q3A loads 100% faster!! and it doesnt have to envy the visuals on UT.

I have install this UT game.. in almost 10 PC with diferents config. In all of them it takes Forever to load!! period.

And i know.. this wont be fix... not even with 100 patches.. Unreal engine have this problem with loading the game since "Unreal"

I remember.. i had a P-II 300 and it took forever to load..

Unreal Loading sucks..

Ill keep Q3.. :P

It is true loading UT takes some time, but for me it is worth it, I like the game so much that I can take that short delay, before I can start fraggin.... If you can't wait, that's your loss.

It took much longer time to load compared to Windows 98. I think it is probably because Windows 2000 suck out more RAM compared to Windows 98. Perhaps more RAM could help to speed things up a little?

Ok.. i will add.. another 128 RAM.. to see what happends.. then ill repost again..

More ram is not gonna make any noticable difference. Unreal simply takes a while to laod....thats it thats all.....

Actually adding RAM for me did decrease load times in a surprising fashion. But then I was noticing that on my 128MB machine that Task Manager showed 120+MB in usage BEFORE I started UT.

I added a 128MB module - giving me 256MB RAM and noticed an immediate improvement - not just in load times, but also in game play. Everything seems a heck of a lot smoother, and now any hickups in game play are usually the result of a horribly lagged server.

Just my $0.02 (if it's even worth that!)

Regards...

Good point, going up to 256 smoothed alot out however it didn't really make noticable difference on the initial load. Subsequent loadings of the game were damn fast however.

Oops... my bad.

Thanks KalleAnka for catching that.

I have edited to message to reflect the correct setting.