Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Neville

Can anyone comment on the speed of your games under Win2k

Im just curious about those who finally got one of their favorite games working properly and if so do you notice any difference in things such as speed or quality? Thanks

It might not be faster but the game either runs or dosent none of that crashing the whole OS and having to reboot. just kill it and get on with it. The only games that dont work are thinking its NT 4.0 with no DX5,6 or 7 which there is. Only some DX games work. Most opengl games work like Quake.

Unreal Tournament runs like a dream, Q3A keeps telling me that I can't load my gl subsystem, heh, so I have no idea how that runs.

------------------

-Mix

If you get your openGL drivers working all the quake engine games(halflife, kingpin etc..)Run great.Unreal tournament also runs amazing.In fact every game that works runs a hell of alot better than 9X.

When i ran unreal tournament under 9x i was using a resolution of 1024x768.The game ran OK but got some slowdown and jerky framrates now and then.Under win2k i am at 1280x960 and it runs smoooth!!!!.Other games i am running are age of kings,rayman2,heretic2,UltraHle.

OK here's what I've found out so far... Running Win2K 2195 (Final) with K6-2/450 160Mb PC100 RAM, Diamond V770 TNT2 (non-ultra), SBLive! Value, Maxtor 13Gb UDMA33:

1. Best working driver for TNT2 to date is nVIDIA 3.66, SBLive drivers I reverted back to default, I tried Toste's way of upgrading using NT4 Live!Ware 3.0 & new update which worked but not everything on it works i.e. mixer, speaker settings, etc. Also, it seems that a clean Win2K install performs better than an upgrade from Win98SE.

2. Quake 3 Arena (only problem so far is player setup won't let me edit the name and model, I wen't into q3config.cfg and edited name there but can't figure out how to change the model, don't know the model names), also had problem in beginning with game framing and then resuming (ended up making an autoexec.cfg in base3 folder with the entry "cg_draw3dicons 0"), the gamma was initially very dark and I found a post here that helped ("In the baseq3 dir, modify the q3config.cfg and find "gamma". You will find "ignorehwgamma", set this to 1, then find "r_gamma" and set it to 1.4, or whatever. This will make the screen bright.")

3. Unreal Tournament installed and performed admirably. Even faster than Win98SE. It took the v4.02 upgrade with no problem. Man this game ROX on Win2K!!!

4. Rogue Spear installed fine, I think that same ****tin' message about it can't find something Abort/Ignore comes up... I just ignore and it installs. It took upgrade to v2.05 with no problem. Game performance is on par with Win98SE.

5. Descent3 installed fine, however in the initial setup it couldn't find my TNT2 card so it wouldnt go into the main menu at all. I think I installed it when I had drivers prior to nVIDIA 3.66. Will attempt to re-install later.

6. Battlezone 2 took a dump soon as I went into installation. Hope somebody would message me when they get this working. The demo was awesome, can't wait to get the final running!

Overall, I think Win2K has done great for popular games considering it's not even out yet and the games and chip driver manufacturers really haven't gotten off their butts and make a mad dash to support Win2K. I think in due time all these minor problems will be resolved much like they were with Win95/98. Hard-core gamers unite and help each other out by posting solutions to problems and not griping about this new O/S! Change IS good ;-)

3.55 drivers / TntI /PII500 & 2195, Framerates are good enough for me at least.

It's my zombie like reflexes that make me suck at Q3 not my frame rate. And I'm stickin to that!

Win2K 2195, GeForce SDR (nvidia 3.66), Dual 550 Celerys, 256Mb RAM.

Unreal Tournament (OpenGL) is much better under Win2K than Windows 98. I can play at 1024x768 at 32bit with 16 bots hosting a LAN game under Windows 2000, where as Windows 98 is slugging out with exactly the same configuration. Quake 3 and Half-Life run at least as good as under Windows 98.

But Direct3D games are defintely slower on Windos 2000 than on Windows 98 (eg Descent 3, GP500, UT D3D etc) but I'm sure newer drivers will address this issue.

One point you've all been forgetting to make - what version of w2k are you using?

Anyway, my observations -

Using - W2k RTM (2195) Adv. Server, Nvidia TNT2 Ultra with 3.75, PIII 450@558 - Fast both in W98 and in W2k. But SMOOTHER in W2k (better multitasking because of NT kernel).

My other machine is a 166MMX @ 266 and 64 megs, crappy 2MB video, $7 sound card - BIG difference - HalfLife @ 400x300 in W98 is just OK (15-25 FPS), @ 512x348 in W2k very smooth (AT LEAST 20 FPS - usually around 30).

Note - I don't actually PLAY on that machine (I'm not a masochist), but it was interesting to compare the performance difference.

Another Note - BareBones W2k is MUCH faster than NT4.0 with all service packs and drivers - not only in games, but in general performance.

In general, my games run slower under Win2k. But that could be the driver that I am using.... no agp support... YET

the speed is just about the same as win98se for me, remember, this is NT5 not windows 9x

I've been having a much better time with the 3.75 drivers and my tntI. I'm getting around 25 or 30 FPS in the Q3 Time demos. And watch out cary grant I'm starting to win again.

2000user is right, win2k runs everything much smoother, and for me faster.

my games:

earth 2150 - runs much better and faster

falcon4 - faster then ever 1280 x äh

ultima9 - this game roxxs on win2000

rouge spear - a little better than on win98se

homeworld - faster

shadow company - great no crashes (in win 98 crashes often

demise - the same as win98

PIII - 500@560

256 MB ram

Matrox g400 max

U2W 9.1 Gig IBM

UDMA66 10.1, 9.2, IBM

SBLive

plextor ultraplex 32x SCSI

Tekram SCSI Controller

Creative Labs DVD Encore

Sidewinder 3D pro

WINDOWS 2000 pro Retail

the only thing i miss is the 3d sound from my soundblaster (no liveware :-(!)

voodoo3 2k on tekram mvp3 award bios

q3a - is running smooth for me at 1024x768. Actually its running great.

unreal tourny - see above posts

motyr - fast no probs.

messiah demo. works good. Be sure to install 2.0 clean and run in 16bit color.

half life - sweet.

nba2k - good.

Yeah some games dont work but Im still fraggin so Im good for awhile.