Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

Let's face it

I've installed W2K about ten times now, everytime I install it I do so because there is a new fix or new drivers that will allow me to play games better. But I have come full circle.

Windows 2000 will never be a gamers os.

There are just to many problems that will prevent it from every being that. MS as we can all see is not interested in us so I guess we will have to just either use 98 or Millenium when it is released.

Just my opinion,

What do you think?

U have to install it lots cuz it is BETA os and it is suppose to be updated a lot. As for the problems, 85% of them could be solved if u READ this forum and follow the steps correctly. smile.gif

I've already installed RC3, and tried a bunch of D3D games , and none worked: Nba Live2000;Fifa2000;Colin Mcrae;Microsoft Nba;Microsoft Age of Empire2;etc.... isnt it ironic that Microsoft games dont work on their products?! The only games that work , are the OPENGL and GLIDE games... sollution ... back to NT4 and win98 dual boot...i shure hope that there's a Directx7 version for NT4, as i will not buy Win2000....

If you cant get games going in Win2k you should wait awhile .I have installed about 20 games so far and have had NO problems.Remember this is still a Beta folks and harware manufatuers have not givin it full support.If in the long run your stuck using 98se or 98se the sequel(millienium)i feel sorry for you because Win2k is such a great gaming OS.If you cant get it going right know i suggest waiting a few months untill there is proper support to help you out.Personally if you look through this message board enough you will probably find the help you need.

I have the final version of win2k professional... its 2195.3 oem and it still has problems with alot of gamez.. i am hoping that when it comes out on feb 17 that there will be a patch or 3rd party drivers so win2k is backwards compatible with directx 6.1 games because right now it only playes q3arena and unreal tournament any directx 6.1 games it does not play and i tryed the 'setup.exe -Igntforce' command on them (system shock2 and Thief) they still didnt work... but i really like the final of win2k.. and it is defintly stable and fast for internet transfers... It will become a gameing system we just got to wait for support for the operating system other than microsoft..

I REALLY want to comment on this:

WIN2K is definitely not ready for prime time as far as gaming goes as yet...and the reason is simple...NO OFFICIAL drivers(or beta for that matter) from 3DFX!! or other video cards too..NOT to **** on a FEW of the REAL ogs so to speak that have TRIED to help people like Seldzar or Cham but help in this forum has been filled with "READ the old posts, dumbass!" or "links" to other sites with the NUMEROUS hundred different files out there claiming 3dfx support or whatever...not really helpful..guys..and isnt that what this forum is supposed to be about instead of slamming people on asking for help????Im a MCSE and as you real computer guys knows..that doesnt mean **** as far as "knowing" how to configure everything in the universe...just a rant on the state of "help" in this forum that has VAST potential but falls prey to "so-called" experts who covet their "secrets" instead of helping the masses...why no REAL FAQ on 3DFX in WIN2K on the internet??? anywhere on the internet??hmmm...makes you wonder...peace and happy new years!!!!!!!

W2K wont be a great GAMING platform.

Just average.

Just wait and see.. sorry if you all are going to be disappointed.

Uhh..i think ive seen this thread in other section of these forum?

Win 2k is already a great gaming platform.Nothing to wait and see for i am already using it just for that.Once the hardware is fully supported there wont be a reason in the world to use 9x.I cant even find a reason to boot into 98.i have been using win2k for almost a month now and using it for Everything i was using 98 for except i dont have to reboot every session because of lockups or crashes.And i had supported hardware in 98!!

[This message has been edited by kmoed1 (edited 28 December 1999).]

No one seems to be very helpful on this forum. I have seen numerous posts on this site from people asking questions and each thread does not have any respones (Including mine). I am not complaining but I find it very disappointing.

[This message has been edited by Kevin2 (edited 30 December 1999).]

I agree. I have gotten a ton of information from this site.Instead of complaning why dont people ask specific questions or do like the rest of us and look back through older posts.you will find what you are looking for!

First of all, I never said anything about the site. I said "Forum". I happen to think the site is great. Futher more, if you read my post I said "I am not complaining just disappointed". And last but not least, I cant speak for everyone that posted a question that didnt get answered but I can say I searched for any topics for my question and there weren't any previous posts.

You should try posting your question in a new thread.i looked back in all the categories and didnt see anything posted for your user name.If you post questions in running threads there easily lost.

Thanx Kamoed !

Me and Maverick had the same question. On this site, in the Game list it says that in order to make Tomb Raider 4 work with windows 2000 you have to make modifications to the EXE file. I was able to find the offset but I cant find the sequence thats listed. Can you be of any assistance ?

I am going to have a copy of tombraider4 this weekend so i will give it a try and let ya know if i get it goin.