Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
No_Name

Ok, this is a real *****!!!!!!!!

Ok I found DX 6 for NT but I still cant copy 1 friken file, Dsound.dll though in the zip that they give you it says, QUOTE: "If you can't overwrite the files, merge the regkey overwrite.reg and restart and then copy the files, merge the regkey dx6.reg"

And none of it works and since I cant overwrite the Dsound.dll the entire DX chain wont work so everyother game is dead. Any ideas on how to copy that one last file over?

No, DX6 for NT doesn´t work. Some fool put the Win 9x runtimes in this ZIP. The best what you can do is to get DX5NT4 (DirectX5 for NT) and use the SetDX6 patch (See FAQ here on the site) on it.

Christian

If you cannot overwrite the files, rename them and copy the file again. Anyway, where can i find the dx6nt4?

I will like to try it.

=)

Alright,

Can you guys put it in steps for me.

I still have no clue how to copy Dsound.dll

Can you help me out?

Thank YOU!!!

go to the \winnt\system32

rename the dsound.dll to anyother name and then u can copy the files down

------------------

?

You cannot rename it?

I have the same problem as yours when I try to copy the dx5nt's dlls into the

\winnt\system32.

I use the find utiliy and rename the dsound.dll by adding a ".old" behind.

After I have done that, I can copy every files in.

**** this ****!!!!

None of this homo crap works.

Damn it. I cant even get DX5 to ****ing copy right.

The way to do this is to go to Windows NT 4.0's VGA Mode. Then copy the files over to winnt\system32's dir. That's how I did it and it works. What happens is that VGA Mode disables DirectX and it runs NT in 16 color. After you copy over the DLLs and the EXEs, reboot the system and then goto the original mode of NT and it will work.

Still after all of this, Dsound.dll wont copy in any way or form. Cant find a way to copy it in.

Are you on NTFS? If not, just boot with a floppy to DOS, and then copy it.

If you ARE on NTFS, install WKS in another directory, boot to that, then copy files into the origional install directory. If you do a bare install of WKS, it should take less than 15 minutes. (BTW, I keep a copy of WKS burned onto a CD for just such an emergency. I have a FAT partion that I store data on, and I just copy the winnt dir from the cd to that partition, and viola! Instant second OS.)

Hmmmm...also just thinking you could go into CPL\Devices and set your sound card's driver to "Disabled" and reboot. That should open the file up.

I had the same error for a few minutes... until I remembered that I had winamp open... close down everything that uses any dx devices... (joystick, sound, 3d etc.). Then try again, it worked perfectly for me...

Does installing DX5 have any drawbacks? I tried it once a long time ago. I gained support for a couple new games but I seemed to loose support for a couple games that previously worked.

Is this normal?

Ben

I didn't experience any problems with DX5 on my computer... but then again I don't play many games... But one should believe that DX5 should be compatible with DX3.. but then again we're talking microsoft here...

ok,ok,ok.... this is not that difficult...

if the file is in use , go to the TaskManager and kill the DDHELP process, them you can overwrite the ddsound.dll ....About the DX5.zip you only have to copy all the files above the system32\ and run the dx5.reg, reboot.... The dx6.zip you cannot have the dx5 files,(use the original ones from any servicepack), them copy all to system32\ and run the .exe patch, it will change the version of the d3d*.* files to version 6 so that the software thinks thats the one installed...... peace'a'cake.....

Anybody with close microsoft relations here who can answer me why NT doesn't close down the ddhelper thread even though you close down the DX program? (this is not just ddhelper, loads of internal/semi-internal processes do this)