Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scoty

Age of Empires 2 not working under W2K

I have Windows 2000 RC2, but AOE 2 not working. I have a Viper 770 Ultra and i use the latest Driver. What can i do?

Just tryed that game under RC2 Voodoo3, MX300, single CPU no problems found

[This message has been edited by Igor (edited October 16, 1999).]

It does not work on my setup either. But I think it is because of my MX300 and my dual CPU machine. Those stupidly incompetent Aureal people still haven't got a driver working for dual CPU machines. Anything that is remotely sound intensive (such as DVD or cinematic sequences) locks up the machine.

[Note: that's of course true for RC2, but that is also true for NT4]

AOE2 runs fine here. I would expect that it's a driver issue on your end.

I've got a V3, SB Live.

Ok heres the problem, i'm assuming your using the newest nvida drivers for your TNT. If this is the case then the reason AOE2 is not working is cause direct draw is disabled. Games like AOE2 do not use D3D or OpenGL or Glide to draw the game on your screen. Any games that don't use the 3 3D API's use Direct Draw. With Direct draw being disabled, it's not gonna work =(. Direct Draw is not disabled in voodoo3's therefore that is why voodoo3 owners don't have any problems(like myself). Rc3 should fix these issues.

P.S. In regards to the Duel CPU and Mx300, I had an mx300 and it crashed win2k more than win98 ever crashed. Th solution? I sold my Mx300 and got an sblive. =)

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 17 October 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 19 October 1999).]

watch out! seldzar's gonna start charging for access to his site! smile.gif

on topic; i am running rc1 with a pci(!) TNT and mx300. no problems!

i can run the aoe2 demo without any difficulty.

I have not switched to rc2 becuase of all the problems i have heard of with nvidia cards.

as for the mx300, i haven't noticed any problems.

Friends of me posted different error messages when starting AoE2. One of them seemed to miss an actual DirectX (6.1 or newer), which could be resolved by installing DX7-w2k-final, the other created a complete error-log ("An error has occured...") which happened mostly with warez- and No-CD-versions. Must be due to the new ASPI-implementation of Windows 2000.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, as I just discovered it, but I have several prblems with my Win2k, and I'm not sure what hard- or software is responsible for them...

Anyway, about AoE2, it worfs fine for me for the first 15 minutes of any game, then I start having small problems with the Display of colors... Grass doesn't remain green, but becomes fuzzy, with light and dark green spots together... Same thing happens with the Sea, but in blue, of course.

Btw, I have a G400 Dual, and I d/l'ed the drivers from the Matrox web site.

If you can help me, thanks,

philippe.gif -IMoM, someflagofwhoknows.gif

[This message has been edited by IMoM (edited 18 November 1999).]