Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rune Moberg

C-Dilla copyprotection

I've been buying quite a lot of games recently, and I can't help notice that the ones with copyprotection are the ones that has caused me the most trouble... (seems strange paying for a thing, and then it won't work because it thinks you've pirated it...)

Anyway, I'd like to get up to speed on the subject. What are your experiences? Are there any C-Dilla protected games that do work?

I know that on my computer, Dungeon Keeper 2 and Need For Speed High Stakes won't run. (although the NFS-HS demo works fine) Worms Armageddon refuses to do much good. Settlers3 worked for a while (the copyprotection triggers a "bug" in the game: trees won't grow and you won't be able to create weapons).

Then there's "Commandos: Beyond The Call of Duty". At first only the tutorial ran, and then Eidos released a patch, which in fact did solve the problem with the main game... (I suspect the patch either upgraded the C-Dilla crap, or disabled it)

The european edition of "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri" used something different than C-Dilla I think, but what solved it in the end (for me) was that I got hold of the original US executable (which wasn't protected!). Without it, the game just crashed during startup.

These are all the games I can think of right now. I'd like to know if there are more of them. (and if there are a couple of them that actually do work under Win2K RC1)

What to look for: C-Dilla protection creates a small launcher (roughly 250K executable) which loads the main executable which now has an .icd extension. If your game has a big fat (usually a couple of megs) .icd file, then it's likely C-Dilla protected (in which case the smaller executable will have the string "C-Dilla" embedded somewhere).

My goal? To get the industry aware of the problem, and either force the banishment of crappy copyprotection, or atleast make it Win2K compliant (duh!). My dream would be to gather up a bunch of people and march down to the C-Dilla guys' headquarters and burn the place to the ground. :-)

--

Rune, games are a serious business