Works fine!

W2KPro 2072

Q3Test 1.07

1024*768*32

Asus P2B-DS

BIOS 1006 with SMP 1.4 enabled

CTL TNT with www.mswin2k.net´s OpenGL driver

CTL SBLive (native driver)

When enabling dual processors I was able to increase resolution from 800*600*32 to 1024*768*32 without any lagging!

Lasse

by the way, i just saw something strange, in the Driver Info section of Q3, it says me i got a RIVA TNT/PCI .... i got a diamond viper 550 AGP ... is that the same thing for those of you who got a TNT1 ?

Draken: I'm running SB Live on my system...

Quake looks and sounds great...

Digital

i have dual PII 300s w/ 256mb ram, UW scsi and voodoo banshee (until my NV10 or TNT2 Ultra comes) and it runs fine even in 1024 but only in normal mode smp mode leaves me with a gray screen... ohh and those tests are in both win2k RC1 and WinNT4 sp5.... i dont know how to timedemo it, but i have a sblive! too and it works except for SMP

The 3Dfx ICD OpenGL drivers (Windows NT/Windows 2000) doesn´t support SMP mode.

Well' I've found the Vortex problem with SMP.

Aureal's driver DOES NOT support SMP!

News from them is:

"The request for dual processor support in NT has been logged by Aureal but there is currenty no time line for when it

might happen."

They said this is because SMP is not "main stream" technology.

I suggest a campaign to convince them otherwise.

In the mean time, locking down the sound card's IRQ with Microsoft's DINT Interupt Affinity program, using the ProcessorAffinityMask registry entry to lock the AU8830 service to the same processor, then using Task Manager's Affinity setting to restrict the game to run on that processor, should fix the problem. :-/

This is little consolation to those running QIII.

For those wanting to play with the ProcessorAffinityMask, here's where to create the DWORD value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AU8830\Parameters\ProcessorAffinityMask

This entry is a bit mask, which means the number of binary "1"s in the byte is the number of processors to use, so you want to set this to a value of 1.

INCLUDE OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER THAT YOU SHOULD NOT MESS WITH THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, ELSE YOUR SYSTEM MAY CRASH, CEASE FUNCTIONING, MELT, CAUSE GLOBAL WARMING, MELT POLAR ICE CAPS, ETC.

"by the way, i just saw something strange, in the Driver Info section of Q3, it says me i got a RIVA TNT/PCI .... i got a diamond viper 550 AGP ... is that the same thing for those of you who got a TNT1?"

Smerfie! You are probably running the PCI drivers! Download and install the latest AGP drivers.

I did install the latests ASUS drivers for windows 2000 that supports both TNT1 & TNT2, same thing, no changes.

But i wonder if it's not w2k fault's, in my computers properties it says my processor to AGP controller is lcoated on PCI bus 0, device 1, function 0.

Then, my properties for 'NVIDIA RIVA TNT': PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 ...

i deleted NT4, don't know if it says the same thing ...

Another thing, when you start Q3 in single cpu mode, open the console, and scroll back at the top of the startup logs, the first thing you will see if the cpu detection. when you launch Q3 in smp mode, it stops on the white screen just before the menu, which i think is the moment when it tries to detect the cpus ...

Ahhhh.

Excuse me, they haven't made AGP specific drivers for NT.

You run the "PCI" ones regardless.

Sorry. :-(

I saw a recent post while browsing that ID is aware of a bug with SMP that is keeping it from working on Win2000, and are working on it.

I'm still looking for the (*^&%*&) reference.

well i'm gonna re-install NT4 + ie5 ... it's the same thing than w2k, Q3 smp works, and it needs less RAM to run smile

i'll just lost my dear fading menus and the cursor's shadow argh ...

Have you considered ripping out IE all together?

I retrograded to IE3 then disabled it.

My system is perfectly stable, and runs all versions of Quake slightly faster than Win9x. :-)

Now if I could just get decent sound drivers...

Say, anyone with cards other than Aureal having problems?

Using a Dual PII 450, 128Mb ECC PC100 SDRAM using NT4 Sp5, I was only able to get SMP working with a TNT2 (Diamond Viper 770 32Mb Ultra), I tried with a Diamond Monster II 12Mb with both the 3DFX reference drivers and even Diamond drivers for NT4, neither would allow SMP. Have not been able to get my hands on a V3 as yet to test...

As for sound, the SBLive! would run under both NT4 and Win2k (2056) with Q3Test without any issues, using standard release drivers, LiveWare 2.0 and 2.1 Update...

hmm i'm bored ... reinstalled NT4 + ie 4.1 to get the quicklaunch bar in the taskbar + ie5 + sp5 . Now several probs ...

First one, Q3 SMP seems to be slower than Q3 with 1 cpu.

Second prob, NT4 randomly crashes, and i don't know why, it doesn't seem to love my computer .... I installed the fat32 drivers, the Awe32 drivers, and i tried the Diamond & the Asus drivers for the V550 ...

no probs under Q3 with the awe32.

To rehash a post i made on AGN3d.com -

I suspected the V3 drivers were the problem with SMP failure in Q3. To test my theory I ran a dedicated server with SMP -

F:\q3test-1.08\quake3.exe +set dedicated 1 +map q3test1 +set r_smp 1

This runs sweet - no V3 interference. I was then able to start another instance of Q3 - this time in non-smp mode and join the server on the same machine! Nice ping...

Can't wait for proper SMP support with V3...