Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pimpin228

w2k good or bad? whats your opion

It rocks. I would be more interested in hearing if others will be upgrading to Windows XP when it comes out. I will more then likely get a copy at work, but I don't think I will unless there is a real need to. This has all I need for the forseeable future, and a skinable OS is something that I could live without.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

haha, there is a lot more in XP than that, obviously you speak with no clue as to what your saying..

I'm upgrading to XP frankly because win2k is a crumb in comparsion. I want a fast, stable, compatibility, gaming OS that runs all of my stuff and allows me to do stuff easier and better than before, XP is the only thing suited to that description. Win2k is nothing in comparsion. So, I'll be defintely upgrading

I dont know if there is any need to upgrade STRAIGHT away. Especially if you are a developer, spending ages getting your env right ..you dont want to **** it up by putting in something new and basically untried by the general populace.

The same can be said for gamers ..video card drivers take about 3 to 6 months to come out with updated drivers ...same with sound cards ..your gaming rig is fast STABLE and reliable ..why jeapardise that to try it out early?

Basically those who do are the ones you see on the boards with classics like ..

"WTF my VIA SMP Athlon just crapped it when i tried to play Q3"

"When I select shutdown it doesnt turn it off"

"Why isnt there acceleration for my video card"

or the old fav

"Why doesnt <APP> work in XP"

Responses to all those questions are answered with

"Wait for Service pack 1"

2k is the sh1t XP is the sh1t

if you want to know about winxp and all the frickin goodies go check out winsupersite.com or intense beta or any of the bazilion sites that have reviews on xp

or better yet find a place to download it. It is not hard to find/get. Hell I have it and I have a modem.

so they say it's an "upgrade"..

bull, should be NT 5.5 or NT 6, not 5.1 (I hope they change that)

All of the above. The Home Edition and Professional have a release date of June. The Server versions will be released later. The first Server version should see light about 3 months after the initial release.

XP has everything that 2000 has. Mix Windows ME features into that. Slap the Luna interface on. Then add a bunch of nifty features like concurrent logins to the mix. Windows XP is really shaping up to be an astounding OS. I'm definitely looking forward to it's release. I figure I'll be an early adopter of this one too, just like I was with 2000.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdulmage:
I don't have time to list that many things, i'm done, this thread is over with, god lame...</font>

Then make the attempt to enlighten us with a few of the better points of the OS since I have no idea what I am talking about.

------------------
Regards,

clutch

Win2k rocks but I will be upgrading to Windows XP when it come out. Win2k is a lot better than Win9x and ME in terms of stability, security, etc. But Win2k is not compatible with all the games out. Windows XP is suppose to have better gaming support than Win2k and also using NT engine.

Heres what concerns me with XP and future MS os's: subscription based software and OS's. Thats something Im not too keen on. Also from what Ive heard XP is gonna require a minimum of 128 megs. I can personally attest to the fact that win2k is almost unusable with 64. I dont think we need to shell out the big bucks everytime we upgrade an OS just so we can run it.

But the biggest concern I have is with the subscription based part of XP. Oh sure, we'll still see shrink-wrapped software...for now. Think about the security hacks against Windows now...once weve got this subscription based thing going off the net think of the possiblity for even more attacks. Plus, seeing the fact that Windows gets bigger and bigger with each release, who wants to download a 600 meg os. Not me, thats why weve got Cd-roms and dvd's for. Plus if your doing a clean install, youre not going to be doing that on a 56k modem, and even with dsl and cable, your gonna sit there for 10 hours just waiting for the os to download--before you can install it. And, oh say, you lose power or the server your downloading from goes out, your screwed.

Id say if MS goes with a sole web based format for all their software they're shooting themselves in the foot.

I wouldn't imagine that it would be a "download only" type of format. We use Solidworks (3D modeling program) and have a subscription format for it. This format actually works quite well for us because we have full access to all new updates, and we get sent new revisions via UPS when they are out. Support is also built-in to this subscription. The cost is quite high for this however (5 users at $6,000US initial cost, and $8,000US per year for maintenance) and prohibitive for smaller buisnesses.

Subscription-based software is not new, and does offer a lot of advantages for companies. In most cases, you can get whole new versions for the cost of your maintenance contract and not have to pay for upgrades. Also, licenses tend to be more flexible (such as concurrent usage vs. per seat) and cheaper when purchased in bundles. I would imagine that home users will still have the ability to get their software on CD, even though it will probably be a disaster-recovery type disk for new PCs, and will be able to buy the software at a store in disk format.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

The subscription service is primarily for corporate use. It provides a way for the business to purchase multiple licenses much cheaper than they currently can. It also insures that they are running the latest version of the software without having to purchase upgrades. Users will still have the option to purchase single-license stand-alone software. Also, the software will still be purchased on a physical disk (when bandwidth issues are dealt with, I'm sure they will offer downloads as well.) However, like Windows XP, the user will register that copy with Microsoft. They can then purchase as many licenses for that software as necessary. Each license will work on a specific machine.

As long as they continue to offer stand-alone versions, I think the subscription plan is great. If they try to force it on everyone they will see a huge backlash from the consumer market. They know this, so I don't see it happening any time in the near future.

in my opion win2k is the best os on the market today may be tommorrow no but today yes, as we all know bigger and better things are to come in life but for this time and day we must all say win2k is the best thing know to man at least for those of of us who use it everyday anyhow. just think it is like a car just when you thought you just bought the best and newest one they turn around and make a better one. so give it time there shall be a better os yet to come. but for now vote win2k.......!!!!!!!!

alright then what about patches for xp and where can you get the patches. and what about games like quake III others

[This message has been edited by Pimpin228 (edited 24 February 2001).]

Okay what about drivers for plug and play devices?I'll wait a couple months after xp comes out then get it so I'll have drivers and updates for games

Cody: its always good to wait and not just jump on the bandwagon and hurry up and get WinXP, when i first got Win2k before it was released it sucked because half of my hardware didn't work, after awhile though drivers were released (except by creative labs....bastards!). I think you should wait man, you're getting that Duron this Friday and i hope you get more RAM, as said before i advise 192-256 at least to function properly (Win2k). As for WinXP, jdulmage or another tester will have to inform you as to how much ram you'll want to have if you decide to make the switch from Win2k to WinXP.

Thats what I'm saying. I understand it's a new o.s.,but i just saying wait and plus i want to see some previews too!