Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Linux distros?

Everyone with the alternative OS heres a post for Linux. Ive heard a few speak up about it, but there has to be more than a handful. Steve Ballmer declared Linux threat numero uno, so anyone in doubt dont pass off Linux like its nothing.

Just some general questions to start off:

How's KDE2 running?

What's the difference between Debian and RedHat Package Manager (RPM)?

Best for gaming?

Easiest to network?

Improvements that should be had for Linux?

If you think Linux sucks, or are uneducated about it, please dont say anything.

My personal beliefs about Linux are that it is here to stay, has things that Windows shouldve had from the beginning, and is becoming a viable alternative to Windows for some people.

Some of my concerns are the knowledge you have to have to get stuff working, a clear how to on recompiling the kernel, active driver support right out of the box and drivers along with that on the cd, ease of networking (Lets face it, Win2k is a breeze to get going), and will it ever get to be preinstalled on home computers from companies like Dell, Compaq,HP, or Gateway?

Kde 2 is by far the best GUI for linux yet. Integrated HTML, MAC OS style menu bar, translucent windows, opengl support and better multimedia support, and incredible speed.

RPM's seem alot easier to use... they act almost like the Macintosh BIN installers.

Best for gaming, i'd go with redhat 7.1beta mainly because nvidia's display drivers install without much mucking around.

Networking, well, it doesn't matter what distro you are using to network as long as you are running KDE 2.x it'll be easy.

Improvements i'd like to see, shockwave support, Internet Explorer for Linux, DriectX emulation, Full SB Live! support.

I like Mandrake the best very eazy to install.

Thing I didn't like with Linux

1: The 2D font suck not as clean as Windows.

2: Netscape Suck.

3: Dev stuff need be install or you get error with recopile ekkk that real pain if you new user to linux even I have problem this.

Vampyr I don't recall there being Internet Explorer for Linux, Real win did this start "DriectX emulation" ?.

I didn't state that those existed... but linux would be improved if they did

Well, in theory, becuase Linux is a variation of Unix, you could download IE4 for Unix and install that...dont know if that would work though,havent tried it.

Some stuff I remember about Mandrake 7.2 in KDE: the Konquer web browser was very good, unlike Netscape. But Netscape was the only one I ever used, because I screwed up my internet connection. Konquerer is best if you like IE. I'll stick with Mandrake unless Red Hat is just as easy.

Im not into line commands, so what, we're not all programmers here.