Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

Is this good now for my duron 800mhz and case temps?

my case temp or system temp is now only peaks at 95 F and cpu temp peaks at 109 F which is mainly in gaming.

normal use its around 89 to 91 F case temp and cpu temp around 90 to 95 F.

is this bad temps?

should i have more cooling to lower them more?

like maybe a new heatsink/fan for processor or add a System Exhaust Blower in one of my pci or agp slots ? please help thanks

btw i added three sunon 80mm 42.5 CFM 36.6dBa fans in my computer one in front of case at bottom which brings cool air in and 2 in the back of case way at top above power supply to take hot air out. Thats all the mounts i had and i didnt want to do any blow holes cause that would of been a lot more expersive and plus i dont overclock maybe i will sooner or later but not now i dont think

pic of System Exhaust Blower

http://nerdsbyte.safeshopper.com/24/388.htm?897

also pic of my case

http://www.vikingcomputers.net/ca-scatx100f.html

Well, mine gets a little toastier than that at its peak and with my room heater on, it hits 111F.

If you havent already, get some heatsink compound to help cool your cpu. If you really want to have a cool cpu, get a vapochill-but its a few hundred for the case and cooling system. That, and you may have to mail order it.

Im overclocking and I havent had any problems at the points Im at.

I really wouldnt sweat it if thats the hottest you get. Ive heard that if you dont get hotter than 120F at any point you should be okay.

[This message has been edited by Brian Frank (edited 10 March 2001).]

Okay, Im sure were okay. I just looked at the Battle of the Computers post, and Pimpin228 seems to agree more or less that as long as the cpu stays under 120 F, you should be okay.

I think were both okay.

Now are you satisfied with the heat issue?

Yes and btw i got use to my 36.6 dBa sound noise now lol

dont know how

but i dont think i could handle anything over it

like 40 to 50 dBa hehe

well thanks for all your help

very appreicated

Now heres something you might be interested in-CPUcool. Simply awesome, get it at www.tweakfiles.com, its a good cooling utility that allows you to setup the exact make and model of your mobo (ie Asus, A7V in my case). It lists Abit boards, but I havent really looked at the whole thing. Right now my temp is at 84F and the highest its gone is 103F. Im also overclocking too!

This makes Motherboard Monitor wilt in comparison--not that I really liked it to begin with.

Just figured youd be interested in it. wink

CPUcool is the program. But it wont monitor your system if theres nothing it can monitor as far as temps. It will monitor other stuff like the amount of available ram and cpu speed, but it wont measure the temps.

oh

and btw is it good to have a fan below the power supply in the back taking air out?

i dont have one there but i may beable to make 4 holes to put a 80mm fan there

thats around where cpu is but i bet a mini orb would do better huh to cool down my processor

if i had a cooler processor would my system/case temp lower ?

Well, more fans wont hurt, but if youve got a crappy HSF or havent gotten rid of the normal tacky stuff on the bottom with some heatsink compound (use a razor blade to scrape it off), you may want to do either of those things. The orb coolers look better than they perform. Before you get some mondo HSF, make sure it will fit on your board. The only board that I havent heard having HSF problems is the Asus A7V (lucky me :P )

Id personally advise against modifying your case. If you dont have a lot, you may want to consider getting a smaller case, just because yours may be too big for the amount of fans you can easily put in it,w/o modifications.

Definitely get some heatsink compound on your cpu--just enough to cover the core, nothing else, a thin coat is all you need, just make sure you put enough on too. You can get some stuff up at Radio Shack, and that works fine.

The power supply fan blows air out, so having another fan right below it might help, but there is a certain point where too many fans just wont help much.

Id really concentrate on keeping the cpu cool. So look at getting a good HSF cooler, the CoolerMasters do a pretty good job, although they are kinda tough to put on.

Try CPUcool out first before you go blowing $$ on any new fans.

I dont know how much having a cooler cpu would cool down your case temp, but I dont think it will hurt anything.

Your sitting pretty good.

Like I said, try the program--make sure you hit Save Settings under the File menu. It works pretty good. See how it does before you buy more stuff. smile

when you use the paste can you remove the paste if you ever want to add a new heatsink onto processor or put a new processor end?

i am thinking you can

And how hard is it to get the retail heatsink/fan off without crushing the processor's core?

Yes, you can remove the paste off the cpu and HSF. If and when you replace the cpu and not the HSF, make sure to scrape all the compound off it, and put a thin layer of compound on the new cpu core.

I couldnt tell you how hard the retail HSF is to get off, maily cuz I never used it and I got the unboxed version both times.

If its anything like my Intel stock HSF on my PIII system, its probably gonna be kinda tricky to get off.

What your getting with the stock HSF is really good considering its probably not that great to begin with. If you end up going to a T-Bird, definitely get something high end.

Just be careful, and you shouldnt have any problems.

BTW, the orb cooler that I have is the Kiwi orb cooler made by the Manhattan company--they make a lot of PC cables.

Checkout Toms Hardware and Anandtech's web sites for info on HSFs.