Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

Need help with cooling options i have

Ok i have $120 right now but really dont want to spend a lot of it cause i want to soon beable to get a ibm 30 gig HD 15 gig if i cant afford 30 gig. and maybe some more ram like 256 to 512 mb of ram.

My cpu highest temp during gaming was 123 F and case was 118 F tops on normal use its about cpu temp 104 F to 109F and case temp 109 F to 113 F

But if i leave both sides of my full tower case off i only reach up to 104 to 106 F tops in gaming and case temp about 98 to 102 F tops.

Curious if i should just leave both sides of my case off or leave them on and get better cooling?

wondering how bad the dust could kill my system with both sides of full tower case off . its not by a outside door so thats good but still i know it can get dusty even with a closed case.

Or should i like cut a whole in my case for a blow hole for a fan ?

i dont know exactly what i am doing if i cut a hole in the side of my case cause i never did it before but it may be better cooling than just adding like a fan down below in front of the bottom of my case where the fan cage is. Then i could add another fan or 2 or dual fans in the back top of my case where they have two holes for case fans in my full tower case.

Not sure what i should do

any advice would be very appreicated

http://www.vikingcomputers.net/ca-scatx100f.html

(a pic of my full tower case just in case you want to have a look at it)

p.s. sorry if this messsage is too long frown.gif

Okay, first get rid of the stock HSF if you still have one and get a cooler master they're only $10. If you have a place in the front of your case and/or back put fans there. Have air coming in from the front and blowing out the back. If you have a free slot in back, get a slot fan to put there.

But do get a least one fan for your case anywhere, and a new HSF. Spend around $30 for the HSF and case fans total. I really dont take the sides off my pcs unless Im working on some hardware.

Make sure the airflow is in one direction, that will keep the case temp down alot. Also, if you can, try keeping your pc in a cool, dry place. A basement with a concrete floor is good, works for me. Keeping the case sides on will keep more dust out than if you had them off, plus it keeps you pc safer.

Right now, get your cooling taken care of first, then get the hard drive, and then ram-providing you have at least 256 megs. But do get the cooling taken care of first, because that hard drive wont cool off your system any.

Okay, I just looked at your case: stock up on fans before you upgrade anything else. Make sure the air flow goes in one direction, ideally from front to back.

Thanks smile going to go look at radio shack to see what they have

and btw what about blow holes? cutting a hole in the side or top of my case?

also do i use just normal case fans for both bottom front of case and back top of case? that just blow air.

and the one for the slot the heat exhauster one?

You could try what I have:

A piece of 12cm diameter air-con ducting that takes the air from the front case fan and dumps it on top of the processor.

Dropped my processor temp by 7-10 degrees.

------------------

Written on Win2000 using:

PII 300

Aopen AX6B

160mb RAM

Diamond Viper 770 32mb

Matrox Millenium2 2mb

SBLive! Value

20gb Seagate

6gb WDCaviar

1.2gb Seagate

Pioneer 32x CD-R (Slot)

Realtek RTL8029AS 10mbit

Dlink PnP 10mbit

MAG 15DLS 15"

Osborne MO117 17"

Using 100% Australian Made recyclable electrons

[This message has been edited by felix (edited 03 March 2001).]

hey those Panaflo case fans do they come with a 4 pin connector already on them ?

cause i want to make sure

and whats the difference from the ones that say Tailed Fans cause they are Panaflo case fans too but $1 more for each

please reply thanks

the tailed Panaflo Fans come with a Male Molex connector on them so they plug into your psu.

psu = power supply correct?

and the ones that are tailed you got to add the connectors yourself right ?

*i meant to say the ones that are not tailed fans you got to add connectors to them

sorry

btw what does the H1A and L1A , and H1a mean ?

behind the fan names

and do you know of any other sites that sell these fan for the same price or cheaper cause they are out of the 120mm fans right now

yea the ones without molex connectors you have to either add ones or splice into the wire. H1A and L1A? i don't know man, maybe High 1 Amp or Low 1 Amp.