Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

I just got a new Mobo,processor , and case

I tend to avoid Maxtors like the plague. My experience has always been that they are extremely loud and have a life-span of about a year (if you're lucky.)

Seagate used to be just as bad. Then they purchased Conner. This brought about much better drives from Seagate. Before they were bought-out, I used Conners almost exclusively.

The only real complaints I have heard about the new IBM drives is that they are a bit on the loud side.

I'm currently running a Western Digital 40GB ATA-100. I've always had good luck with them.

Fugitsu also puts out a very reliable drive. But they have fallen behind everyone else in speed and size recently.

I'd suggest going with either the WD or IBM.

i got my one dimm of 256 mb of micron pc133 , cas2 ram today and i was wondering how should i set my Abit KT7A Raid Motherboard BIOS. i had pc100 ram and it didnt look like it changed any setting so i was wondering cause i could be in slow setting and the ram not doing much for me.

so thats why i am wondering if i need to set stuff faster or something

thanks

I dont have your board, but to get the memory to use the CAS-2 setting,look under one of the advanced menus about memory timings. There you can set the board to automatically detect the ram settings or manually set the cas timing. Consult your manual too. Also, its probably wise to take out that stick of pc100 if you want to use the 133 MHz front side bus setting (FSB). Im not saying that youll screw yourself 100% if you do, but pc100 ram isnt really made to run at a 133 FSB. If you do keep the pc100 stick in, put the 256 stick in the first dimm slot. This is supposed to get the maximum performance out of the memory if you put the highest meg dimms in the lower dimm slots.

ok everyone i got 256 mb of ram pc133 , cas2 of cruical ram should i buy another dimm of this for $96 to make 512 mb of ram for my win2k pro or get my ibm 75 gxp series 30 gig HD 7200 rpm ATA/100 HD now for $175

btw i got a maxtor 8.4 gig 5400 rpm ATA33 HD right now but its not terrible but its not great either

well now that you have 256mb, I would say that your next priority should be the hard drive. I have that same maxtor drive, and there was a noticable increase in responsiveness when I upgraded my system drive to a 7200 RPM drive....

did it make like a 50 % speed increase?

cause i am on win2k pro and i think it may help me a lot but not sure

please reply

thanks

for win2k all any one really needs is no more than 128 sdram nothing more and please go with western digtial for a harddrive i have had mine for years and not one problem have i had with it.

Is this a bad temp for my duron 800mhz processor and system temp.

i have both sides of my full tower on.

My cpu temp most of the time is around 105F to 115F (41 to 51 C) i seen in gaming it reach 118 and even 120 F (54 to 56 C) but no higher

and my case temp most of the time is 111 F to 118 F (44 to 54 C)

Is this bad ?

i dont know if i should add a case fan or what cause i really dont have any all i got is a cpu fan on top of cpu's heatsink and a fan that is on the mobo that came with it

i sorta dont want a loud computer but you think i could deal with a loud loud computer if i had to ?

like one that sounds like a blow driver on 24/7 or 747 going off

where can i get that type of exhaust fan from?

radio shack ? or what

and doyou mean to cut a hole in the top of my case frown

?

please explain thanks and how much will this help really?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gq2:
for win2k all any one really needs is no more than 128 sdram nothing </font>

bullshit

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gq2:
for win2k all any one really needs is no more than 128 sdram nothing more</font>

What are u smoking? I need to get me some of that sh1t promptly! Or wait no you are probably smoking crack.

In my opinion Win 2k requires at least 256 megs of ram for acceptable performance. (note this is my opinion so I can't be wrong about this) Also the more ram the better. I've got 512 megs and I will buy another 256 very soon.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Four and Twenty:
(note this is my opinion so I can't be wrong about this)</font>

lol wink

ok about the ram i know

256 mb of ram is alot better for good performence but more is always better for NT smile

but not for everyone

but 256 is good for everyone to have on win2k pro for it to be fast and good.

but what about my cpu temps and case temps

and stuff like that

For your processor those are about average for normal cooling. I would suggest adding a bit though. What type of cooling do you currently have?

The simplest setup is to have 1.) HSF on the processor (of course) 2.) a fan at the front of the case pulling air in and 3.) a fan at the back of the case blowing air out. Make sure to position the back fan so that is pulls air over the processor. If you do not overclock any of your components, this should be adequate. It is also best if your case has some sort of ventilation vents on the side.

GQ2, if all you do is surf the web 128 is fine, but anything else, you will want more ram. I dont know how you got this insane idea that Win2k functions just fine without anymore ram above 128. MS seems to put out more bloated OS's every time. Win2k will run much better with more ram. The bare minium Win2k will run on is 64, but Ive tried that before, its not a pretty site. The bare minimum you really should run Win2k with is 128 megs. The more ram, the better. You obviously dont seem to have heard about Unreal Tournament and Quake 3. Most gamers running Win2k will tell you 128 is okay, but its better to have at least 256. I dont know how you got the idea that Win2k can be pushed around in a speedy manner with 128 megs. Windows ME can function very well with 128. But ME is a different OS than 2k. ME is the supermodel and 2000 is the bodybuilder. The diet for the supermodel isnt gonna fly for the bodybuilder.

as for any whome it may consern 128megs of ram is a perfect choice for the beginner not for the top notch programmer if you go that way then more is better but for the beginner 128 is good enough so be kind to me i am not that stupid ok win2k is and should be for the top notch user but you have to learn somewhere so why start out top notch if you don't have a clue of what your doing with it, it is just like wacking off for the first time you whould have to choose to either try it dry or lube that sucker right. my opion till you get use to it dry is better. so be kind don't rewind move forward and learn on that note..........

<rant>

Personally, the switch from Win9x to Win2k was nothing, i had no problem adapting to the new UI and driver system (probably cause i used NT4 many of times), but i wouldn't even advise anyone to use Win2k unless they read up on it first and find out what they're getting into. As for RAM, 64MB will run some games, if you start getting into games like Deus Ex and UT then you'll soon discover that they'll barely run unless you have 192MB ram, even if you have a 700MHz cpu, and a GeForce 2 Ultra, some people will still notice UT Engine based games stuttering and hanging for a second or two if they have 128MB ram, for most people a jump from 128 to 192 will fix this and a jump to 256 would fully cure it. I advise NT Newbies to get as much ram as possible and run win2k, cause they're gonna be the ones in here b1tching and whining that their computers run slow and that Win2k sucks, all because they didn't get enough ram in the first place leaving them only one person to blame.....themselves.

</rant>

hey you know what is so strange i played unreal tourment ,quake 3 area , quake 3 team area just fine with my old pc100 128 mb of ram. it was 2 dimms of 64

so i guess i was lucky or something

and i only had a intel celeron 366mhz

but not i got my processor ,mobo, ram , and case that are all new

my 256 mb of micron ram (crucial ram) , pc133 , cas2 , lifetime warranty, and one dimm works better but not a huge difference i guess

and btw games ran like better in win2k pro most of them than in win98 or win98SE with my old system. in win98 or win98SE unreal tourment would start skipping and pausing on me on win2k not at all. So maybe that 128 mb of ram was bad in win98 or win98SE hehe

its strange but it was true.

thats very true smile

but what if someone dont have the money to upgrade to 128 or 256 mb of ram for win2k and may not have a fast enough processor then you have to use win 98 frown cause windows me is even worst

but since i got the power for win2k i can run it mostly expect my HD is alittle slow but its fine for now

thinking about getting another dimm of 256 to make 512 mb of ram but have no idea if its worth it or i should

i will have to think about it

got $70 right now so i may just save for my new ibm 75 gxp series 30 gig HD or get another dimm of 256 mb of ram then start saving

yes "win 98" is really bad but "win ME" is worst never use it "it just plainly sucks"