Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bursar

New OS from Microsoft?

no doubt, makes you look dumb, especially when you post it in an WINDOWS NT place. Cause if it wasn't for MS, you wouldn't have a PC and I can almost promise you that one. Wouldn't be a need for a PC. These things are not even funny to begin with, just dumb. If your gonna post stuff like that, you will learn to take your flaming from me.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 25 January 2001).]

For gods sake, lighten up.

It was meant in jest. Personally, I love Windows 2000 and try to suggest it to others where possible.

I'm looking forward to Whistler and I expect to keep using their products for many years to come.

If stuff like this annoys you, then why not just ignore it? You don't do yourself any favours by posting these 'that's gay and you're dumb' comments.

Let it go.

bah...they probably post this stuff up in their offices at MS anyways...just to laugh that they rule and linux never will....haha

Careful jdulmage, your last comments were tantalizingly close to revealing that you do indeed have a sense of humour!! laugh

If it wasn't for M$ i wouldn't have a PC?ummm no... if it wasn't for IBM and their wonderful PC-DOS I wouldn't have a PC.

yep...clutch...

also I quote

"And the revolution that Bill Gates and Steve Allen had about the microprocessor"

..uhh, that'd be about all I need to say.

IBM was the first company to come up with DOS. Later, Bill Gates left IBM to start his own company microsoft... were he raped ideas from ibm to makes ms-dos. Later he raped ideas from apple's gui and came up with windblows

OK, I just saw "PC-DOS" listed, and from what I learned PC-DOS was licensed from MS. Besides, didn't Apple rape their ideas from somebody else? It would seem difficult to give credit for the modern GUI/OS to any one company.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

haha, raped? boy, ain't that a nice immature comment. Let me list this up here

Apple - 1970's = nice GUI, far from today's standards, good job. But, these things were already made by Xerox and were popular.

Macinotsh with their OS = Microsoft was the company that developed it. I quote once again "Apple needed a company to help make their graphicial user interface and Microsoft was just the company to develop it"

So Microsoft helped Apple/Macintosh

OS/2 = an IBM/Microsoft joint OS for a while, Microsoft splits up with IBM (good move too) and OS/2 was finished by IBM.

Microsoft Windows = a creation of what Bill Gates had experienced in his life, he used a bit of Macintosh, a bit of OS/2 and so forth. The leader today. The leader cause you have no choice? don't think so, they had plenty of time to jump into Unix, OS/2 or Macintosh at the time, but people chose Microsoft.

Linux = a stolen idea by some guy using his 386 computer. He took Unix and added a few little things and called it the kernel while other companies such as GNOME and KDE went out and stole Microsoft's GUI to use as their own with a few changes, but you can still tell where they got it from.

All in all Microsoft has taken ideas, but from companies that they have helped or have been with at one time. Linux just stole everything without helping anyone to start with. But you have to take a bit of the best from each to develop something good.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 26 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 26 January 2001).]

How did Linux steal UNIX? Isn't UNIX open Source?

And by the way, Linus never charged for it...

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 26 January 2001).]

UNIX is not open source. Or wasn't at the time anyway. True UNIX [not to imply True64] was owned by AT&T, and they charged for it, you betcha.

My favorite part of this whole OS war is that KDE et al. are trying to make their GUIs look like Windows, while MS is trying to move away and offer alternatives, more like... the various Unices.

And, MS did license the GUI from Apple, so it wasn't 'stolen' as one could argue that KDE et al. did do to Windows.

-bZj

I thought it was AT&T, but also saw Bell.

What I'd heard was that one of those companies(the original maker of it) was in trouble and told to stay out of computers for fear of monopolies and stuff.

So they gave out the OS, and said have fun, and refused support.

and it developed from there.

Oh well...I heard that several years ago...and am not sure if it's true or not.

Anyway.

I like Linux---it has more power than I know what to do with.

I like Windows---easy, and relatively straightforward to use.

I'll run them both from here on....each competing for my attention.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdulmage:
no doubt, makes you look dumb, especially when you post it in an WINDOWS NT place. Cause if it wasn't for MS, you wouldn't have a PC and I can almost promise you that one. Wouldn't be a need for a PC. These things are not even funny to begin with, just dumb. If your gonna post stuff like that, you will learn to take your flaming from me.

</font>

i HIGHLY doubt he won't have a PC..ever heard of MAC's? PC and MS are note the ONLY companies in the world u know smile
mm there is also Linux/UNIX (which can run on intels)Freeusb/BE O/S there a ALOT of other o/s's adn software companies out there and maybe if MS did rape the market these companies would be far more popular as well,, now i am happy about what MS has done for the computer industry, but don't act like they invented it!!! anways, it was a joke as well so chilla'x.

oh and P.S MAC is based on UNIX smile mainly in there new MAC X o/s purely UNIX and java based o/s :), as well BE O/S was made by to former programmer of teh MAC o/s.

now as for all info here this is mrerely information to which i haev gatherd from MANY MANY sources, many of whihc are quite reliable,a s for teh UNIX adn LInux i real don't knwo jack one m..well anyways GRETA PIC!! tis very funny, and here is another

jokewallpaper-dialogbox.gif

------------------
=========================
ICQ me!!!
========Specs========
ASUS P3V4X
VARIOUS O/C SETTINGS
PIII 533 @ 640 133fsb
PIII 533 @ 584 150fsb
384mb PC133
20gIBM 7200 rpm
40g MAxtor 7200rpm
Sound Blaster LIVE!!! Platinum
ATI All-In-Wonder 128 32mb 2x Agp
19'Samsung SyncMaster 950p
Logitech Wireless keyboard/Mouse
Creative 52x cdrom
Richo CD-R/RW MP7040a 4/4/32
Epson Stylus colour 760
Cable modem

and i networked with a MAC G3, now sharing printer/hardrives and internet.
WOW, aren't i special now laugh

AND iT ALL WORKS GRRRREAT!!!'

Man, I havent posted in these forums in ages.

"like Linux---it has more power than I know what to do with.

I like Windows---easy, and relatively straightforward to use.

I'll run them both from here on....each competing for my attention"

I am in the same boat. For me, Windows2k is easy to get things going for what I need. And for my home use of it, just games and browsing the net, and maybe a 3d rendering app every now and then. But linux is like a challenge and a whole new way of doing things in a sense. At work, I have the option of using both OS's, and I use windows most of the time (our network is NT based) but for other things, I dont mind using linux.

Mr.Guvernment I think your "MANY MANY sources" need to be checked, b/c that information was only vaguely true, at best.

People usually refer to PCs as x86 machines, which Macs are not, so that comparison is suspect. I still think Intel and MS are the owners of the home PC, but they are fading recently. [This is not to say I worship either, their business practices are questionable, but they built the home PC.]

Only MacOS X is based on BSD/Unix, the previous MacOSes were not Unices at all. I don't know where you get the Java based idea, but I'd like to read about it, if you could give me a link.

-bZj

it was actually a m8 who has the MAC o/s X beta say that it ..mm i am not sure of his words exactly,, but i belive it was supports' java, i am sorry about the previous message, and thank you for corecting me on my previous posts, i had always though theMAC o/s was based on unix or linux,, or is it freebsd?..i dunno anyways..l8's

------------------

=========================

ICQ me!!!

========Specs========

ASUS P3V4X

VARIOUS O/C SETTINGS

PIII 533 @ 640 133fsb

PIII 533 @ 584 150fsb

384mb PC133

20gIBM 7200 rpm

40g MAxtor 7200rpm

Sound Blaster LIVE!!! Platinum

ATI All-In-Wonder 128 32mb 2x Agp

19'Samsung SyncMaster 950p

Logitech Wireless keyboard/Mouse

Creative 52x cdrom

Richo CD-R/RW MP7040a 4/4/32

Epson Stylus colour 760

Cable modem

and i networked with a MAC G3, now sharing printer/hardrives and internet.

WOW, aren't i special now laugh

AND iT ALL WORKS GRRRREAT!!!'

The 'modern' GUI, the mouse, all of that, was developed at PARC (Palo Alto Research Center) labratories. MS and Apple BOTH stole what they have from them.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeadCats:
The 'modern' GUI, the mouse, all of that, was developed at PARC (Palo Alto Research Center) labratories. MS and Apple BOTH stole what they have from them.

</font>

By Xerox at their PARC facility, correct? I thought that PARC was more like an "suburb" where various compaines have R&D facilities there. I know Ethernet tech came from there as well (but not from Xerox, I think :)).

------------------
Regards,

clutch

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by clutch:
By Xerox at their PARC facility, correct?
</font>

I believe so.

Yes, it was Xerox's PARC labs.

From what I know of this, Xerox gave away their GUI idea to Apple on purpose. They didn't want to develop it, put wanted to see the technology succeed. The conversation that I remember about this took place a while ago, so I may be off a little, but I'm pretty sure the GUI wasn't 'stolen'.

-bZj

Man, just use which ever OS makes you feel confortable and fit your use. If you want to run server and don't play games then you might wanna choose Linux or Win2k. But if you want to run a server and want more gaming support then try Win2k. I think Win2k has more gaming support than Linux. Not sure though, it was a year ago when I was deciding between Linux and Win2k and Linux at that time didn't have that much gaming support and my video card driver wasn't out yet. But they might have more gaming support now. Well...Win2k is a lot easier to use and straight forward like someone said above. For me I have been using Win2k for awhile...since it came out and I am happy with it. I don't think I will be using Linux since I don't have a computer lab running like Inferno. =)