Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CM

[POLL] Whistler or Windows 2000?

I am bored. Here another poll for you:

Do you upgrade to Whistler after release of Beta 1?

No. I keep Windows 2000 and upgrade later (maybe Beta 2 or RC)

and you.... ?

laugh

I don't plan on leaving Win2K until I upgrade to Whistler on an IA64 chip.

Hopefully, they [intel or AMD] can accomplish this in the next 4 years. I mean, if I can still use my 486/66MHz with Win95 five years later, then my PIII/500E@667 with Win2K should last for a while.

-bZj

I agree, i'm staying with Win2k, i've seen nothing yet that would convince me that Whistler is better (yet) than win2k.

I like too play around with new os, sow i will upgrade but only if all my software works on the beta

i use only whistler now. I have 2 installs on both my HDs because 2276 has some problems with my mouse. I like whistler because its faster than windows 2000 and just as stable too. Ive had no hardware problems to speak of and the only thing that doesnt work is a/v autoprotection but i dont download stuff that would be infected anyway. There is a built in firewall included in whistler and updates are automatic also making it better in that sense. Whistler is also being written to run games better so if you play games i would use it.

because i dont need to block a whole port, i just need to filter an address but leave the port alone.

I'll get Whistler...but only Professional or better yet(if it's like Win2k (adv)Server vs. Pro where the server edition feel faster), or one of the server editions.

But...call me crazy, some of the new skins look kind of, I don't know. Makes it look too "friendly" to GUI...I'll probably get it and go back to the older-Windows look(in the previous BETAs this was possible..is it still)? Or if I can customize it....maybe I'll do that

for the most part, I go by icons, text means nothing to me, as I'm the sole user of my computer.

are people running personal or professional for the most part?

yes the classic look was still in there, im not sure how the skinning will be handled but if all there is is the retarded themes in it now i will just s.hitcan em. I run whatever i can find leaked, out of the 3 builds ive use 2 have been pro 1 has been personal. Once it hits beta you will see more versions being available for download to people that know where to find em.

Well hi there all!

I was about to upgrade to Win2k Pro, from Win98SE, when I saw all this about Whistler. I play games & surf the net, so I was amazed at the number of games running on Win2k, though some of my hardwares applications (scanner & camera for eg) will not run on Win2k, along with some other issues. I might now stay my hand & wait for whistler to show its colours a bit more. What do you who have used Whistler say?

------------------

"You only work so you can play!" -wise rich man

pka if dosen't work now in Win2k then it not going work Windows.NET aka Whistler.

So better start think about buying hardware that is Windows2000 Compatible.

you couldn't be far from the truth...

there are currently over 250 hardware devices that never worked in 2000 that work in Whistler now. Go for Whistler and see if they work.

;(

DOS supports almost nothing. With the addition of a driver and a command in config.sys. TADA! It now supports! WOW!

Get the hint jdulmage?

no, I don't..

DOS has nothing to do with this poll, DOS has nothing to do with Windows 2000, DOS has nothing to do with Whistler.

"Get the hint jdulmage?"

what the hell is that suppose to mean, are you trying to prove some sort of an indirect point here? What you said made absolutely no sense to this discussion.

I think what he is getting at is that any newer revision of any product usually adds compatability with hardware and/or software, fixes bugs, adds visual and/or operational enhancements and generally improves on an older product. DOS ran things designed for it just fine as did Windows 3.0, 3.1 etc. To say that Whistler is so much better just because it improves upon Win2k is silly. After all, it is expected that it will be "improved". There were lots of hardware that did not work in Windows95 that now works in Windows98. Also some that didn't work in NT but now works in 2k. As for his comments having nothing to do with this discussion, since when has that been a point for you? Irrelevancy seems to be a habit for many posts.

Ed

I don't really care anymore, post all you want in the others section, post all you want anywhere else...because I ain't gonna be here anymore...it's been made clear to me that I'm a useless user and my posts mean nothing to nobody....

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 03 December 2000).]

come on jd, grow up, would ya? you seem to be rather easily offended...

somebody should keep a count of how many times you say you're leaving, 'cause you always seem to find your way back... smile

[This message has been edited by CUViper (edited 04 December 2000).]

I changed my mind... I use mainly Whistler Beta 1 wink