Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
faro

icons look like win95 and direct 3D doesn't work!

Hi,

my windows 2000 operated perfectly for 2 month. But yesterday I started the game Unreal Tournament (in glide-mode). After hours of happy playing and a shutdown.

I bootet my computer today: Now the Icons in Windows 2k look like the old fashioned in Windows 95. It seems that the icons are only in 256 or less colors. If I set "high color icons" in the effectsmenu from display it doesn't work either. I think this effect checkbox doesn't work anymore. Then I reinstalled my graphicscarddrivers (Voodoo3 2000 AGP) but that could not fix the problem.

I - after hours of trying - wanted to play Need for Speed Porsche (a Direct X-Game) - but NFS could not initialize my graphics card. There is direct 3D Driver there (and no Direct Draw acceleration). I think this has to do with the icon - problem...

can someone help me? Possibly a regedit-freak out there?

Thanks and sorry for my bad English

Greetings from Germany

Faro

sadly i have no help for you but i have seen a similar problem with the a voodoo3 3000 agp that happened after running unreal and having it crash it happend to my college roomate. When his unreal crashed all icons were white they had the proper shape but they had no color whatsoever. we tried reinstalling the drivers and we tryed using the voodoo drivers that came with win2k all to no avail. Finally when we were quite fed up we reformated and started over. Needles to say that fixed it. Probably not the answer you were looking for but that will do it.

I've noticed that my taskbar icons will look really ****ty if I switch to Large Fonts. For instance, I run 1024x768x16 and small fonts on my 19" monitor. If I switch to large fonts with the same resolution, the taskbar icons (specifically on the right end of the taskbar) look really cruddy.