Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
In2Deep

Adding an O/S

Can a second O/S (WIN95) be added to W2K after install. I currently have W2K as my only O/S, but I realized I lost the ability to use some software (some games and my cd burner software). Can Win95 be added without having to reformat and lose everything currently?

------------------

One can not be betrayed if one does not have any people

Bad news i'm afraid....unless you own or are prepared to fork out for the latest version of PowerQuests Partition Magic.

Only way to do this is to remove Win2000, create two partitions on your drive (preferably both FAT32 so each can read the other - it'll still work with NTFS on Win2000, but Win95 won't detect the partition).

Install Win95 FIRST to the c:\ drive, then install Win2000 to d:\. Win95 may trample your Win2000 boot data if you install it after Win2000.

Win2000 will assume the role of default O/S (you can change this to Win95 if you want) but you'll be able to switch between the two when the Boot Menu appears.

If you're bothered about losing data to fdisk or may want to create future hassle free partitions, then i'd invest in Partition Magic.

It is, quite literally, magic.

Cheers

PowerQuest PR Dept.