Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alam

Bell Sympatico problem with RedHat9.0

I am using Bell Sympatico high speen internet under RedHat9.0. When I am connected to the internet, my connectiion automatically goies off and then comes in. I used the pppoe that came with RedHat9.0. As root, /sbin/adsl-setup is used to configure internet connection. Everything is fine and simple. I gave user control "yes" during setup. However, everytime I have to pass /sbin/adsl-start as root. If I do that as user, nothing happens. My NIC is configured to get IP from dhcp during boot. It causes delay during boot time and fails to get IP. That's reasonable, I think. However, what should be the correct configuratioin for the NIC. I tried with static private IP but then I do not know the DNS.

Would be very much happy if some one can give a solution.j sleep ?

Hi there,

For your sympatico high speed internet ,first you have to assign your eth0 a fake ip like 10.0.0.1 and netmask 255.255.255.0 rather than getting your ip by DHCP by running redhat-config-network this can bring up your interface eth0 quickly at boot time. After your system boot up run adsl-start , and find out your nameserver's ip from your /var/log/messages file and put those two DNS address into /etc/resolv.conf . e.g nameserver x.x.x.x.

To run your sympatico internet connection at boot time just make afile with any name like sympatico with the commands given below

#!/bin/bash

adsl-start

sleep 3

ifconfig eth0 mtu 1480

and add the file into your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file with full path. Don't forget to change the mode of file to executable.

I hope you know about little changes in your /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf and pap-secrets for your sympatico id and password.

Enjoy,

crazy vkumar crazy