Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ironman666

network in win2k

hi everyone. here's my prob/questions. i have two computers which are networked together. i also have dsl, which i want to share between tht two computers. the "server" has win2k pro and the "client" has win98. the dsl modem is obviously setup on the server. i downloaded/installed sygate and set it up to share the connection. the client, however, could only surf to hotmail.com and msn...in both ie and netscape. i doubled check settings and made small changes in settings. one thing to note, i have dsl but i have to connect cause its not a static ip. i was thinking about install server or advanced server and use its internet sharing features cause its built in and supposed to be good, but if anyone has any suggestions then i'm all ears!

Syed Ahmad

Windows 2000 has internet connection sharing built into it.

I am running two computers linked together and sharing a single cable modem. I have two net cards installed in my "server" and one in my "client" machine. I have both computers going into a hub and the cable modem goes into the second nic card on the server machine. Then I just do the internet sharing thing on that nic card. It works great and I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Good luck.

Fisrt of all, get rid of Sygate, you obviously have not done your reading. ICS is built into pro also.

Second of all, go and read the Win2k help file and search for ICS. ICS is SOOOO easy in 2k it's not funny.

Make sure you have static internal IP's for both computers and install a gateway on the client to your server.

That's all there is to it!

first i knew about ics, but i wanted to try sygate first since others who have networks have suggested it. but regardless, i tried the built-in ics, all aboard, winroute, and nat32. i get the same results with each. the only difference i saw with ics compared to the rest was that i could now ping ip's, but still can't surf the web, telnet, surf using ips, etc. again, the network is fine as far as file and printer sharing.

syed ahmad

hey ironman

you said you have dsl access

but do you get your ip from a dhcp server (before win2k starts) or do you connect with PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)

cause this later sucks really hard

the only way i found to share web access is to use winroute 4.1 and set up a proxy server (NAT does not work either)

if anyone had any knowledge of how to optimize PPPoE under win2k plz give your insights

i connect with PPPoE. i would like to avoid using "all aboard", "sygate", "winroute", or any program like cause because i just installed win2k adv svr and i'd like to use the built in ICS or NAT. i tried all those programs listed above anyways and they didn't work. win2k's ICS has been the most promising for because i can ping ip's and at least surf to a site, even though its just to microsoft's site. to me, this is a routing issue. i have a feeling that either my isp (bell atlantic) does not allow this or some of my settings may be off. again, file and printer sharing is just fine. thanks in advance.

syed ahmad

when I messed about with ICS, I had to ensure that the machine that was routing to my ISDN TA to get a connection to the Internet had to have my ISP Primary and Secondary DNS entered in my NIC IP Properties.

What this does, is if the IP address you try and ping is not located within your Network, from either, internal DNS, WINS or LMHosts, it will contact your ISP DNS to resolve the address. So if dialup force up the connection. In your case, just resolve out of your Network to the Internet.

So get this from your ISP, and enter the DNS Numbers on Both Machines NIC.

Goto a command prompt and type nbtstat -n to ensure that all local NETBIOS names are resolved to a Static IP Address.

If so, you will know, as it will say UNIQUE or REGISTERED. If not then create LMHOST files for both machines. Look for a file call LMHOST.SAM and follow the instructions in this file.

Then type netstat -r to check your gateway is routing to a correct NAT IP.

With ICS and DNS all setup, you should be able to ping any IP on any machine with your GATEWAY and DNS IP addresses entered.

Good Luck.

>Goto a command prompt and type nbtstat -n >to ensure that all local NETBIOS names are >resolved to a Static IP Address.

>If so, you will know, as it will say UNIQUE >or REGISTERED. If not then create LMHOST >files for both machines. Look for a file >call LMHOST.SAM and follow the instructions >in this file.

>Then type netstat -r to check your gateway

>is routing to a correct NAT IP.

>With ICS and DNS all setup, you should be >able to ping any IP on any machine with >your GATEWAY and DNS IP addresses entered.

hey mickbench. i got the dns from my isp. but i'm confused about the lmhosts.sam file. i'm not sure how to configure it. also, would lmhosts.sam have anything to do with ics? cause at the moment i'm play with ics, not nat. but let me know. thanks for the help though smile

syed ahmad

If you have names registered when you type nbtstat -n, you don't need to configure the LMHOSTS file. It just helps with networks connected to the Internet, as it then won't try and resolve the NETBIOS Name across your Gateway.

But one other thing I may think is wrong. Do you have RIP installed. I know WinNT Server 4.0 needs RIP to re-route TCP/IP Stacks across a multi-homed Server. You then enable TCP/IP routing on the NIC connected to the Internet.

I haven't played around with W2K Server yet, so can't see if you can install this service or not. But check this... It may help.