Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Ok....wtf?

My computer was reformatted today after trying XP for a while.

W2K right now.

the thing won't shut down, or restart

after the blue screen for shut down, there's a blinking cursor, and it just stays there with nothing happening.

It does this for shut downs, and restarts.

any ideas?

Here some ideas:

...was reformatted... What was formatted ? Is w2K starting Ok ? What file system do you use?

You could try to boot into safe mode, shut down properly and go again. Doesn't cost much, anyhow and helps sometimes.

Could it be that you have a boot sector that was not reformatted? Other than this I can't see another option than to fdisk the drive to new partition(s), format them and see if that helps. Maybe you want to try a fresh install first.

If I understand your post correctly you can do a normal startup but not a restart, the system just hangs when shutting down.It could be the power management, are you / were you using ACPI ? Can you hibernate ?Maybe the new install switched the power management for you. That seems to cause similar probs fore some. ACPI is great if *all* your hardware supports it, but it is picky.

BTW, try DriveImage or Ghost next time, that way you get the old system back 1:1 in a few minutes.

H.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Harry (edited 29 March 2001).]

NTFS, yeah, tried everything for shutdown.

got nothing

ACPI works in this system...

oh well

I'll reformat and try again.

if you have installed it again and it doesnt improve, I would make sure that you have all of the latest drivers for all of your hardware. some NIC cards had some issues early on with 2K I believe the 3com 905c was one of them there were a few others as well I just cant remember any of them.

I've been using this system for a while. never had this problem

I've done several reformats to it; I tend to try to reformat monthly

the NIC works fine..Dlink 530TX+

I've used about 7 of these NICS in various ocmputers I've built for myself and others. Very dependable card

IT also still operates at a PCI speed of 48 mhz...which not many other cards can claim.

do you hear the disk park. Then the system just hangs? If it does I forget what file is causing it but I believe in service pack 1 that was fixed. I assume you already have SP1 installed. Does this only happen in a soft boot or a hard power cycle as well? I dont know...I would disable all the power management #crap(set everything to never). disable any BIOS power management. Also I would install it with FAT first the use the command line conversion tool after you get it up and running.

*******edit*******

I generally encourage to complete the conversion to NTFS after your first successful boot. My reasoning is you can still navigate to anything you want with a 98 boot disk once its NTFS it wont find the drive wink. The best way IMHO is to setup a small boot partition formatted with FAT then for all data storage have another partition with NTFS.

[This message has been edited by Moniker (edited 30 March 2001).]

I've ran this drive with NTFS for about...oh...a year?

I have SP2 isntalled(beta, or RC, don't remember which).

I never have any power things on, as I leave my PC on all the time.

Dont format your computer every month.

I have been using Win2k in my computer installed since 9 months and haven't had a problem. Dont install betas.. They are no good

Well, miku, please understand that betas arent perfect, so sometimes they can screw up your system real bad so you have to reformat. They're in beta form because MS wants to get out the bugs first instead of just whipping out an OS and just selling it as is. If they did that, we'd all be running on Macs right now, or running Linux.

I've not had any problems with the beta

I always download betas, just to try out the "new features"

hell, the IE6 beta's lock bars is something I've wanted for a long time.

I format monthly or bi-monthly not out of problems, but usually out of boredom

and we all know how fresh systems run a bit faster than older systems

oh well

I'll get to it later this week...maybe next week.

I might be getting a SCSI setup, and if I do, I'll be trading some drives around...

Yeah recently with all these new builds I have been redoning my sys like every week. I think beta 2 will set me up for a little while though.

SCSI sounds nice (drool!)

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500 (SE440BX-2 Chipset)

Triple Boot

Windows Millennium Final Retail (c: FAT32)

Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1 (d: NTFS w/ 4K Clusters)

Windows Whistler Pro Beta 2 2462a (e: NTFS w/ 4K Clusters)

PIII 500 @ 512.8 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs PC100 SDRAM

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM / Core & Mem Overclocked by 20 mhz)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

Yamaha DS1 Integrated Audio

2 x Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controlers

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 W/ 8K block size (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage 1 NTFS partion w/ 4K Clusters)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse USB

MS Natural Keyboard Pro USB

Dell M770 17 inch CRT

Dell E550 15 inch CRT

the thing about the SCSI is..

I think I'll get the 3 drives for free...but I don't know if they're any good.

they'll have come from an old(but PIII) Optiplex server

Should they happen to work, be large enough, and be faster than my UDMA100 setup, then I might just migrate soem stuff over.

but will I keep the 45 and 15GB disk I have now?

I could replace the UDMA66 30GB drive..

I dunno. I want a drive for Linux--the 15GB would be great for that.

I won't have a SCSI card for it, but I'll probably end up getting one of the Adaptec XX160s for it

INFERNO-you want something to cure boredom. If you aren't very experienced with linux go grab a distro(something other then mandrake)and get it to run everything you do with your windows box. The reason I say dont use mandrake is not because it sucks but, because its the windows of the linux distros. It is super easy to install and configure so it wont keep you occupied that long.

Whats wrong with an e-z install? Linux is a difficult OS to get running in the first place, why should one do it the hard way when theres the easy way?

Oh boy! Mandrake 8.0 is in beta right now.

Hopefully, Linux will reappear in town again.

Havent seen it in awhile...

I did

it worked fine(Mandrake)

only thing that didn't work was my modem, and that's not a big deal since it's 1. A Winmodem, 2. Never used.

I tried freebsd, but it wasn't bootable, so I wasn't going to play around wiht it

Brian- I didn't mean it that way I just meant that it is an easy install and it may not keep you occupied that long. If you want a real taste of *nix load a BSD or Debian. My whole point was really that if you get bored and want to learn something new that will keep a linuxnewbie busy for weeks Madrake was made for peole who havent used linux so it takes alot of the work out of it. Mandrake is a great OS its just that its the easiest

Oh, okay.

Ive heard that Mandrake isnt the best for gaming though. Is there another distro thats easy to install on a multiboot pc like Mandrake and runs as well? Ive heard of multiboot difficulties with Red Hat. I am looking at Suse distro, but whatever is easiest to get running as an alternative.

I liked Storm Linux, but for some reason the version I got (2000) didn't have Samba in it. Other than that, it was really cool.

------------------

Regards,

clutch