Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

NTFS Partition to Fat32?

Has anyone successfully used Partition Magic 6.0 to convert an NTFS partition in W2K to FAT32? Before I attempt to convert my c drive to fat32 and lose everything because something goes wrong I would like to know if anyone has done it. You ask why I would do this. Well I want to dual boot Linux and W2K without having to use a boot disk to start Linux, well I can use Bootmagic as long as I have a fat32 partition on my master hard drive.

Hi, Ronin. I've used PM 6.0 to do the very thing you ask about. No problems at all. Though I've had problems with past versions of PM, this one seems to be fairly decent.

The only thing I do not like about PM is that it uses Win2K's own CONVERT utility to do the opposite; to convert FAT partitions to NTFS. The problem with that is that there appears to be no way of doing it without having to settle for the default 512-byte sector size...way too small, IMHO.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001