Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarU

Unexpected Lock-ups in Win2k....plz read..

Okay, i am stumped. I have this machine at work that locks up about 5 times a day. At first, i thought it might be heat, so i ordered a sh*t load of cooling for it. The temperature on the machine is about 50 degrees celsius after i installed the cooling. The specs of the machine are:

Tbird 1.2 ghz

Asus A7V

768 megs pc-133 ram

30 GB ATA-100 West. Digital HD

Creative Annihilator 2 MX

SB PCI128

Acer 50x CD-ROM

So, the machine is in this wooden cabinet, and it was running at about 65 - 70 degrees celsius. I know that is extremely high. By the way, what is a comfortable speed for a fast tbird? Anyway, because of this temperature, i ordered about 400 dollars worth of cooling for this thing. Windtunnel case, 2 5 and 1/4 bay coolers, 2 Card Slot outtake fans, and the case comes with 3 fans....2 90mm and 1 80mm. It has all of the drivers installed such as the via 4in1 drivers and all of the device drivers. I still suspect the heat, but im not sure, because my machine at home (which is very close to the specs on this machine) runs at about 53 degrees celsius, and it doesn't lock up at all. I am not sure where to start as far as troubleshooting. Do you guys have any ideas???

Thanks in advance..

LOL....thx dosfreak, but that is not an option. Ive been telling them that for a week now, but it has to look nice. The machine is in the corporation's conference room. Unfortunately it has to stay in this custom built wooden entertainment unit and taking the case off is definately out of the question. Any other suggestions? Do you think it is a heat problem? Is that temperature too hot for a TBird?

make sure there's some kind of circulation going on in/out of the cabinet.... all the fans in the worlds aren't going to help if it's blowing around the same hot air!

Are you 100% sure it's a heat issue? I would verify it first by taking it out and putting it in the open. I can understand having to put up with users demands but your gonna have to explain to them that this is the way to go if they want it fixed. It could either be heat or memory. But as you stated it was running very hot. I don't know where the computer is situated but mabye you can take the back off the cabinet or place the computer in an out of the way place.

Is the computer THAT ugly? laugh

omg! your system should run at about 30c.

hsf for your processor, who put it on and what is it?

start turning off fans in your case. with so many fans they might be running into each other cancelling each other out.

make sure your power supply fan is blowing outside the case.

make sure your incoming fans have pleanty of fresh air available. then calculate the amount of space around your out fans against the cfm of the fans. if u have a 40cfm fan and 26ft. around the outside of the fan, all u are doing is pressurizing the case and stopping all airflow.

just a few suggestions as i also have my 'puter in a wooden case just a little bigger than the 'puter.

case temp = ambient+4 deg f

cpu temp = ambient +10 deg f @idle

ambient +17 deg f @load

hmmm, well, thx for all of your suggestions.

I got the RAM checked out, and it checked out to be good. So i know it isn't a RAM problem. It seems as though it is a heat problem. You guys are right though. The fans are just circulating the same hot air and it just isn't helping. I guess i kinda knew the answer to my own question. Well, thx guys...

Mount a "nice-looking" A/C unit in the cabinet door.

smile

------------------

Regards,

clutch

ill tell you what your problem with your machine is...

as i have the exact same problem and i have a **** load of cooling on my machine with a;

Asus A7V

AMD Tbird 1ghz

256ram

Geforce 2 GTS

blahblah....

win2k

its the problem with Windows 2000 and the VIA chipset on the motherboard.. windows 2000 does not support the chipset very weel at the moment.. as ive found out, my machine will lockup any time... even if ive just rebooted.. it may lockup,.. very frustrating. anyway try thisd patch from microsoft and see if it helps. it didnt help me, but anythings worth a go.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/q261606/default.asp

This update resolves the "Video Hangs When Running 3-D Graphics Programs" vulnerability in Windows 2000. When you run a program that uses 3-D Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) on a Windows 2000-based computer that uses the VIA AGP chipset, your computer may stop responding. This vulnerability is caused by incomplete support for the VIA chipset in the Windows 2000 AGP drivers. Download now to add driver support for your VIA AGP chipset.

------------------

homicide

Homi, I believe the newest 4-in-1 driver from VIA deals with the AGP problems of the previous drivers.