Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

OC a Duron

I've got a question on overclocking my Duron 600 with PC133 SDRAM. Im using the Asus A7V KT133 chipset mobo revision 1.02. In BIOS, Ive already overclocked the FSB to 113 the highest that it'll run stable. Ive done that lead pencil trick on the L1 bridges but when i try to OC by using the 6.5 and up multiplier, itll fire up, but not boot up. Im leaving the default settings with the jumper for the voltage. Do I need to increase the voltage? and if so by how much. And how high can i OC the chip. I use a cooler master and it works pretty good-I havent hit past 40 C/102 or 103 F with it at 680 MHz.

Also, I was advised to put some thermal compound on the hsf and scrape off the pad with a razor beforehand. Now it's gone up a few degrees before I'd seen the temp as low as 27 C. I dont think I put too much on-just enough to cover the die.

ok - first off - if the pencil trick dont work it acts tho the multiplyer is still at 6 - it will still boot.

If it aint booting then its a voltage issue - turn the fsb back to 100 set multiplyer to 7 and voltage to 1.8 fire it up - if u get 600 ur penciling is garbage if u get 700 good, boot into windows and see whats happening - u MAY get it to a gig if ur lucky my 800 is at a gig and it never above 40 C

with my global win fop 38

as for the thermal compound - that trick will work - if u use good themal compund as replacement like artic silver

i can max the votlage on mine (tho urs may go higher) at 1.85 - id say if it dont work at 1.85 ur goin 2 high - u should be able to get at least 800 out of it tho

Well, I tried increasing the voltage, but no go. AMD might have found a way to stop overclocking Durons and T-Birds now. I bought it early in Nov.2000. At least I know I've reached the limit for OCing. I did find an OC utility to overclock Voodoo4/5's.

Thanx