Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

Which GeForce2 GTS is the best?

i was wondering if anybody could recommend what the best GeForce2 GTS card is? i am torn between the Leadtek Winfast GTS 32mb DDR and the ASUS v7700 GTS 32mb DDR, although these don't have to be what i end up getting.

i am looking for performance and driver compatibility (of course stability). i'm gonna be using the Detonator drivers, most likely v6.49 unless somebody can recommend a better build. i want to make sure that i will be able to pop in this card, install the Detonator drivers, and be ready to go (in the best possible scenerio). can anybody help me out? thanks!!

Trey

I recommend a 64m card if you want the card to last for a year.

Hercules Prophet 2 GTS 64m.

[This message has been edited by DosFreak (edited 24 December 2000).]

i know the 64mb version is the best, but i want a 32mb version, i don't have that much money smile i am looking at the ASUS V7700 or the Leadtek Winfast GTS

If you aren't looking for TV-out or whatnot, then the cheaper one is the best. Both are from reputable companies, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you get one online in a "whitebox" version, then it will be even cheaper. Hell, you may even be able to get a 64MB GTS or Pro for the same money as the 32MB cards you are looking at!

laugh

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Hercules is suppose to be very good but they are really expensive. If I have money, I would go with Geforce2 Ultra 64mb version of Hercules. I am using Creative Annihilator2 (Geforc2) myself since I couldn't afford over $400 for Geforce2 Ultra version.

Hey Trey, wait and see what happenes with my Tyan Tiger 133, I got my new one in, it is as stable as a piece of ****ing plutonium. I might get a different MOBO , but ill let you try out my Geforce 2 GTS if you want. cause i am definetly getiing a different mobo. It blows dick, Ok man, Ill talk to you later.

Have fun Skiing, Ian

It's highly unlikely that the NV20 will cost $1000 (That's £750 to you users of proper money smile )

Even if it does, it's release will in turn greatly lower the price of the Ultra cards.

Personally I'm waiting until March/April before I change my current card, prices will have sorted themselves out by then.

THe Ultra cards cannot drop in price because they are very limited plus the DDR memmory running at that high speed is too expensive.

The NV20 if it uses the same memory would cost a lot more.

I wonder how nVIDIA is gonna solve the memory bandwidth issue.

i ordered myself the ASUS V7700 Deluxe 32mb DDR GTS ... it seems to be one of the best, from what i read and see its a remarkable piece of work and very compatible with the Detonator drivers. not to mention it has encoding capabilities and DVD enhancement, and it comes with some cool stuff!

Sparkhard, you should check it out if your Leadtek is giving you trouble, i got it for $240 total (with 2nd day shipping) off of www.essencom.com although the standalone card was about $50 less i didn't mind paying more for the extra features. see you soon! hope your motherboard problems work out ok in the end ... if you get a new one look at MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, and ABIT. ttyl!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Trey

Cool! I got the 64MB version because I like to run Q3 at 1024X768X32Bit. You should have quite a bit of fun with that card.

hey clutch, whats your FPS in Quake 3 Arena at 1024x768x32bit? i get 85.5 fps in demo001 ... what do you get? (i have the 32mb version and running 6.49 detonator drivers)

this is what i type before i run the demo:

cg_drawfps 1

timedemo 1

then i run demo001 ... lemme know what you get! smile

Trey

Hey Trey , how the phuck did you get quake 3 to run with your GeForce .. mine keeps looking for the phucking 3dfx shiit.. did you re install ???? or did you clean install everything on that new HDD. Ahh well phuck me, lemme know. 8)

Sparkhard

Well, with my slow-*** Aopen AX-34 mobo slowing it down, I got about 100fps on that demo. Even with the tweaks I use, I get about the same speed (no gibs, no gun, etc.). My friend has an ASUS board with the same VIA chipset and P3 800 (his is 133 bus, mine is 100) and he gets 125fps with my config. I can't tell ya what it is with the default config that you are using, but I can show you mine:

seta cg_drawfps 1

seta cg_drawgun 0

seta cg_draw3dicons 0

seta cg_gibs 0

seta com_maxfps 0

seta cg_br***Time 0

I get rid of the stuff that I don't care for, and it actually runs faster. The damn gun gets in my way, and I don't care for the 3D icons in the console. The gibs just cloud the area when I am firing into it. Another thing, I had the Ultra, and it wouldn't go any faster than this card would at this resolution, that's why I feel that the mobo is just slowing it down. I will get an i815 mobo in the next couple of months (buying my wife a Grand Cherokee, I don't think she'll notice a $125 expense, then again...) so we'll see how that goes.

wink

holy **** clutch, what drivers are you using?! smile i hope i can get it that fast eventually, this is only the 2nd day i've had the GeForce2 GTS so i haven't learned how to maximize it yet.

Ian (sparkhard) all the games you installed WickedGL on will phuck over your GeForce 2 GTS ... this is all you have to do. find the 'opengl32.dll' or whatever its called and copy it over the one in the game folder (quake 3, soldier of fortune, half-life, etc) and that instantly fixes it. or just reinstall the game. i had to reinstall Tony Hawk 2 completely to get it to work, and its still not as fast as it should be. i'm trying to learn about the drivers and which set is the best though cause i think its a driver problem more than anything. i'm using the Detonator 3 6.49's now, so we'll see what happens. most people have recommended the 6.34's so i might try them. anyways, i'll let you know if i find out anything more, but that hotfix should work for all your games. if all else fails just reinstall them. ttyl!

Trey

ok i installed the 6.34 drivers ... image quality and smoothness have increases, FPS has slightly decreased (1 - 3 fps in most games) does anybody know if any of the other sets offer the same quality with faster speed?

i'm trying the 6.47's ... i'll post how they are on here after i test them a bit ... let me know if you have any recommendations etc.

hey with a duron Gig and Geforce 1 DDR i get 88 fps in win2k, q3 version 1.11 - no tweaks, and 1024*768*32 and everything maxed out - what spec u got trey?

clutch - im ***uming my card is kinda maxed out if ur getting 100/125 with a slower proc????

i get between 83 - 85 fps in quake 3 with your same settings, i have the GeForce 2 GTS 32mb DDR ... here are my gaming specs:

Pentium 3 800 MHz (100mhz fsb)

256mb PC-100 RAM

WinME

Detonator 6.47 drivers

i bet your extra processing power and your extra FSB make the diff. for you ... when i can buy a new mobo and get a t-bird 1.2 ghz i'm sure i'll notice an improvement too smile

84.5 fps using the stock config running maxed at 1024x768x32. I think that my friend will get around 100+ with a regular, unmodified config. Here is my system as it stands now;

P3 800@840 (8x105)

256MB RAM@133MHz

AOpen AX-34 (Via Apollo Pro 133A)

Hercules ProphetII GTS Pro (GeForce 2 GTS 64MB, 200/400MHz)

IBM 25GB IDE HD

Samsung DVD-ROM SD-604 5/32X

Generic Floppy 1.44MB

Generic Tower Case

PC Power and Cooling 350W ATX Power Supply

Radius 19" Monitor

Hey Trey , I am getting 100 fps on my new system . using SPM 1 . without SMP 1 i get about 79-81 FPS. this is wiht no overclocking of my graphics card.

Leadtek Winfast 2