Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
isaacg

Problems with sound in win2k

Hi,

I've got some weird problems with sound in Windows 2000. In general windows apps, everything has a reverb/echo/ambience effect, which is very annoying. There is a similar effect in games, only on some it makes everything sound stuttery, like it is replaying sounds over themselves. I stuck in an old SB16 ISA and had similar problems. Everything works fine in win95. I have a generic soundcard with a FM-801 chipset. I'm using Forte's 2.00D drivers (newest), Win2k with SP1, DirectX 8, newest via drivers (4.15a i think). Any ideas people? This is driving me crazy... Thanks!

what kinda mobo/chipset u got?

i had an mvp3 and i got lots of crachtling/stuttering although i had an sb live my mates also get it with other cards and that chipset also make sure summat stoopid aint happening like mic is pickin up sound and feedin it back thru laugh

MB is a Soyo 5EMA+ VIA based Super 7 board. And no it isn't the microphone, does it with headphones too. It's is intential ambient effect I think.

ok i would agree with tank on this one:

here - try this fire up winamp and play a song

then either move a large lump of data across the IDE bus or a large amount of data across the AGP bus (large file copy or vis in winamp) and u should find the sound starts to crackle like hell

if it does then u have the same prob as me i had to live with it until i got a new mobo (VIA KT133 based ABit KT7RAID and a duron)and now its gone but as i said i would agree with tank - its some kind of bus mastering prob - that chipset is simply sh1te one question to tank - does it do it on your systems with the kt133 or just the MVP3????

I tried playing a mp3 while copying a 300mb file (copy and paste in explorer) and it didn't even hicup. 320kbps mp3 too.