Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyC

Best TvTuner/Capture for Win2k?

im picking between Hauppauge WinTV, Pinnacles PCTV, 3dfx VoodooTV 200, and wonder what should i pick. I want 3dfx ones but beta win2k drivers.. scares me... WinTV and PCTV are nice and support Win2k good i heard. But is quality good? Mpeg1 codec? i would like to watch tv, record shows i miss (like simpsons) and encode videos i have taken from a camcorder. around $100 mark.

-[CyC]

scares you hehe that good one as of now the VOODOOtv is only TV card that can capture higher resolution then any other card out that cost $100 or less, Plus is come with MPEG1 Editor & MPEG1 codec & FM radio MP3 recorder, Unless you want spend more money on real good capture card.

You should try going to 3dfx forum at http://www.3dfxgamers.com/

hehe... well.. ive heard it sucks in Win2k and BSOD problems galore.

-[CyC]

I have a Hauppauge WINTV-Go and an ATI All-In-Wonder 128...tried them both in 2k

the WinTV works perfectly....but I don't try capture.

ATI doesn't have real support for their TV stuff...so that's no better.

not sure about 3dfx's I know it's expensive...but soemthing about that company...doesn't make me feel so good.

sure they have a great past...but it's the past. They quit the manufacturing process....

I've heard some good things about Pinnacle's PCTV line, but it's an all-or-nothing sort of thing under Win2K: either it works beautifully or it crashes and burns. Apparently it's a driver issue, so if you really need to you should be able to fall back on the Brooktree drivers and generic TV apps.

I'm expecting mine to arrive either today or tommorrow (it's scheduled to get here today but my campus's mail system is pretty slow, so I might not actually get it until tommorrow) so I once I get it up and running (or not, as the case may be) I'll post the results.

If you're looking to capture stuff, then quality is going to be the same for all of them, since they're all based on the same chipset. The only difference between them is the software, which you're best off pitching and replacing with VirtualDub (http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net) anyway.

ATI's got some pretty nice recording software, but any of them should work with 3rd party VCR software like WinVCR or SnapStream PVS (the latter of which has a free version). 3rd party software should give better results since they support MPEG2 in addition to MPEG1.

Guys I was thinking of picking up a ATI ALL in wonder 128 16 meg pci for video capture, I have a celery 2 566 @ 952mhz running win2k. Would it capture nice?

Did you read Inferno2000's post?

In my experience, ATI doesn't make the most stellar drivers, so I wouldn't go with that.

Well to tell all the truth I get any capture BT878 and get InterVideo WinDVR.

Hauppauge dose have the best support out there.

Take note some of the capture card don't on board audio capture chip.

Hauppauge dose have the best support out there.

Pinnacle Systems

LifeView

there so just min out there take your pick

ok so Happauge Wintv would be the best to go with? seems that card does not capture video at a very high res though

That ture nor do any of the other card being it take a lot of hosepower just to do 640x480 in AVI raw capture other then that you need to go with MPEG capture card.

Some of the site need to translate with BabelFish.

Some them can't be bougth in other area of the world.

Some don't support other language with in the driver & application.

Some them only have Win9x driver.

With Tuner.

Canopus MTV1000

ProVideo PV256 PCI MPEG-II

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR I own this one but the drivers have problem.

VIDAC VMagic

NoN Tuner.

I/O data GV-MPEG2-PCI

LifeView FlyDV-MPEG

Melco MEG-VC2

Pentamedia NAVIS2

Dazzle's Digital Video Creator IImad (This has very very bad TechSupport)

What chipset are you running? If running a VIA chipset and wanna run your desktop at 32 bit. Then forget about winTV..there's this nasty occurrence of massive streaking on screen.

Hello -- I'm dumping my Matrox RRG due to the recent cancellation of the MJPEG drivers for W2K, so I'm looking for a replacement that has hardware assist, preferably MPEG.

SHS -- you mention that Dazzle has bad support. Could you elaborate? How are the drivers?

Any other options from a North American-based company?

Intlharvester belive me get teshsupport is a nigthmare just give you idea I still wait for that phone call from last yrs in oct so here it gose "I made 5 phone call for 5days in a row monday thur friday well it July 2001 still no reply and dosen't count the count less email I send off 30day in row.

As for drivers win I frist got it I had all kind of problem more then WinTV-PVR did.

If you willing wait a few more week maybe by then I may have some info on the Creative Labs Video Blaster DigitalVCR I hope it good news but we see.

pr-man for love of god don't get a DVC you be sorry from what I heard of this card it dosen't support VIA chipset & some peolpe have problem with newer intel chipset that is the same problem that the DVC2 has but not the newer intel chipset.

As for winnov well there not much to say about other then they do have good techsupport and good drivers support but you may well get Hauppauge WinTV-FM card at half the cost to do the same thing.

To give you guy better idea AVI captureing v Hardware MPEG captureing

AVI capture

1) Capture raw AVI "take a ton of space we taking gig but that depend how long the movie is"

2) Edit the AVI

3) Convert the AVI to VCD "This take hours very long time 5 to 10 hour convert it depent on how long the movie is & how system is"

4) Burn Baby Burn

Take very long coffee brake you need it hehe

you may get done in 8 to 12hours for 1hours of video

Hardware MPEG Capture

1) Capture in VCD "1hour about 750MB which about 74mins for one CD"

2) Edit

3) Convert MPEG to VCD format

4) Burn Baby Burn

Well 2hours has gone by and I'am ready watch it on my DVD Player

So it took 2hours to make 1hour of video.

The one I like going buy it spec ProVideo PV256 PCI MPEG-II

One person post alist of he ask them several questions about the PV256

Q1: I am interested in PV256 PCI MPEG-II Encoding/Decoding Tuner Card.

A1: For this line we have,

PV256T PCI MPEG II Card w/TV Tuner+Remote Control at S$160.-

PV256C PCI MPEG II Card at US$150.-

Q2: Does PV256 come with Video for Windows (VFW) driver

or Wndows Driver Model (WDM) driver?)

A2: Yes, it is with WDM driver but not support VFW driver.

Q3: Does PV256 come with Application software?

A3: Yes, it is with Application software

Q4: Does PV256 work with Adobe Premiere software and Ulead MediaStudio software?

A4: Adobe & Ulead .... the software you mentioned about are all for AVI.file. But our Card is for MPEG.file so it can not work together

Q5: Can PV256 card do hardware transcoding from AVI to MPEG?

A5: Yes, our card is direct to MPEG.file

Q6: Can PV256 card do hardware re-encoding of edited MPEG clips?

A6: Our card is using StreaMachine chipset

well SHS I dont have a VIA chipset and I dont have a new Intel chipset I have the old tride and true 440BX chipset which seems to work with everything LOL

ok well sounds like I should get the PV256 then

I e-mail sales@provideo.com.tw today ask them a few more questions like

Q7: Can the PV256 do Time-Shift Recording?.

Q8: Dose the PV256 come with MPEG2 Editor?.

Q9: Windows2000 support?

Q10: Dose the PV256 have internal audio out to pass the sound to the sound

card or is it only external 1/8 to 1/8 mini jack?.

Q11: Do the drv support other language, which language one ?.

Q12: Which MPEG chipset is it useing? Like C-Cube

SHS I think I might pick up the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB, does mpeg1 and mpeg2 and TV tuner and win2k compatible. Looks sweet. what do you think?

Thx for the link SHS, now im not looking at the wintv PVR pci card, im looking at the wintv PVR USB which I know has drivers for win2k already. Compusa has it for $199.00 is that a good price?

Would the Provideo PV-256 PCI be a better choice? I think that is $150.00

$199.00 that is a good price but far I know USB drivers for Windows2000 support is under development.

Hell for $10 more why not go for the PV256T PCI MPEG II Card w/TV Tuner+Remote Control at S$160.

I don't know which will be better.

I just got an email from provideo. they dont have any branches in the us yet just tawain but I could order directly from them. hmm wonder how support would be if I have to ship it to tawain smile

I think the PV-256 looks great, now is it overkill for me? i am not looking to do professional video editing per se, I just want to capture video off vcr or TV or my camcorder and make VCDs for family distribution and for viewing at home. maybe burn some TV shows to cd also. Would the PV-256 work well for that?