Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

suggestions?

Well, I've finally had it with the ALi/TNT problem and will go get a new video card, wondering if anybody has any suggestions.

Current system:

AMD K6-2 450MHz

Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev.4.1 (with ALi V chipset)

PC100 128MB SDram

Leadtek Winfast S320 16MB AGP2x (RivaTNT)

10.1 GB IBM Hard Drive

Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI Cd Burner

Pioneer DVD-Rom

Tekram DC310/U PCI SCSI Controller

Hauppauge WinTV PCI Card

Soundblaster PCI64

D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet

not much of a system as you can tell, and I don't want to buy a new system yet, figured I'll just get a new video card, or maybe I should toss the mobo and get a new one? which would be better? I just want to be able to get win2k running stable.

p.s. heard the Vodoo cards were pretty compatible with the ALi chipset?

um stick with your nvidia - nvidia cards Should work with ALI Chipsets - what probs are you having? ill see what i can do

I you REALLY want to toss anything make it the Mobo (unless that is a first gen TNT). i would plump for a duron 600 and an abit KT7 i'll cos you about £150 or so. if it is a first gen TNT i would suggest getting a GF2MX or summat but if ur having probs with the TNT you will have problems with that too. Just gimme some idea of the probs u are having and ill see what i can do.

well, from researching the web, I've found out that I'm not alone when it comes to ALi/TNT incompatibility. I have tried every driver both from the Video Card Manuf. to Nvidia Detonator drivers and none seems to work. Even all the bios updates as well as the ALi AGP drivers. (I've tried about everything btw)

I constantly get random BSOD's and have only recently managed to get it running stable with the leaked Detonator 7.17 drivers. Stable meaning I can do basic web surfing, but when it comes to gaming, the BSOD's will start to re-appear. With previous drivers I was resorted to turning off ALL hardware acceleration in order to maintain stability.

The BSOD's range from KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED to BAD_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (and some others I don't recall at the moment) errors to IRQ something....I've actually had this problem for over a year now and finally have had it.

Hope you have some good problem solvers for me to try.

Drivers:

ALi AGP 1.69e

Detonator 7.17

DirectX 8 final release

[This message has been edited by three (edited 21 November 2000).]