Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lordlee

WinTV WDM and DirectX 8

Like many others, I am a frustrated user of WinTV and W2K VFW viewers (any wintv screen resize freeze my pc). After doing some research on this forum, I decided to install the WDM driver (on www.cyberlink.com.tw) after DirectX8 comes out. Now it's out, I was wondering if any brave soul has done it, and could share the exprience?

These WDM drivers doesn't work for me frown . I always get a "moved" TV picture, besides the fullscreen quality is really poor and the sound is not working.

SHS, they run perfect for you?

Kevin

I can tell you that they worked perfectly for me, BUT I had DX8 installed. Have you installed DX8?

Shrink

Yeah, I tried this earlier with a beta version. Don't think the final will help more since there aren't any applications or games which will fully support DirectX 8, will it?

Kevin

kEViNoPolY DirectX8 is not just for Games it allso for Deivce I like this every hear of DirectShow ?.

Well, after uninstalling and installing the WDM drivers again (this time with DirectX 8 Final Version) I still have the same problems. But I found out that the "moved" TV picture thing can be fixed with restarting the WinTV software again. But still I've no sound. I'm sure that the audio-settings in WinTV and Windows are correct, also the "Audio driver" seems to be installed correctly in the Device Manager.

Do you have any other ideas?

Kevin

Are you sure you have Line-IN all way up ?

do the same in WinTV2000

yep, WDM drivers work with mine, they work better with DX8, and yes DX8 does take full support, especially if you have the Nvidia DX8 beta drivers on, they worked like a charm for me.

If I start another TV application before WinTV (like MoreTV), then WinTV runs fine and with sound. Weird, isn't it? Doesn't Hauppauge support their own products? I have the WinTV Radio with BT878 chipset. I hope this will be fixed in the final version of the WDM driver.

Kevin

Can someone explain the difference between the VFW and WDM drivers? I am using the standard (VFW I guess) driver and am pretty happy. Why are the WDM drivers better? Should I switch?

Thanks.

VFW = Video for Windows

This has been a round for very long time in fact in day of Windows3.1x

WDM = Windows Drivers Model

This new driver format make it eazy for dev to code + share the same drivers cross two different Windows platforms like Win98SE & Win2000 other then Graphics Card, It build more like NT drivers for better compatible that if the drivers where build rigth in the frist place this allso mean chipset need hardware support in min case there can work a round that but not all case.

If like lean more go here http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/wdm/

:kEViNoPolY

i don't know about your rig but i had a pb with 2 asus mobos (p3b-f & p3v4x) the tv tuner card i use needs an irq for sound processing and i remembered that using ACPI on those force use of irq9 for my PCI cards

if when you check your device manager it says something like "everything is using irq9" and your tv tuner sound WDM is not working try reverting your computer to "standard PC" it worked for mine.

Well, thanks for your help guys. With SHS help I could at least get the sound working, however it's mono only. I still have the problem that the picture is moved on the first WinTV start - even with the new Detonator drivers v7.17 and DirectX 8. I hope this will be fixed when Detonator 4 (?) and the WDM driver goes final. So far it's working quite nice now.

Kevin