Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Avalanche

Atuo power down problem on ATX

I just installed Win2k in my system and I love it! But it's doing something I don't like. It's not recognizing that I have an ATX motherboard, and won't auto power down on shutdown.

The System is:

AMD K6-2 400Mhz

Asus P5A (ATX Form factor)

128Mb PC-100

8.4Gb ATA/33 HDD

Windows 2000 SP-1

Windows has recognized my system as an AT/AT Compatible system, shouldn't that be ATX?

Thanks for your time, anybody's help is greatly appreciated.

GMPeil

System is in ACPI mode, with a fully compliant BIOS, at least that's what my motherboard manual says. I've got the BIOS set up for it.

[This message has been edited by Avalanche (edited 08 November 2000).]

i had the same problem except mine always restarted rather than just showing the "Turn ur computer off now" screen. did that with my old mvp3. is that by any chance what ur board is based on?

does it show the shutdown screen menu at all?

I had that problem with ME and it wouldnt even show the "its now safe too...blah blah" and eveytime i installed something or rebooted i had to go through scandisk, now i have 2k and it isnt doing it. My point is....it could be drivers...maybe

All need to do is enable APM

Control Panel | Power Options see the Tab APM

To answer some questions:

1)My motherboard is based on the ALi AladdinV chipset. It is my suspicion that is is the Power Management drivers that are to blame, but there are no updates to tryout to see if there is any improvements.

2) Yes it shows a shutdown menu, and goes through the entire shut down procedure and goes to the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen, just like an AT system.

3) I can't go to the Control Panel - APM tab because there is no APM tab. Windows 2000 thinks this computer is not an ATX, but an AT/AT Compatible, and so never isntalled the stuff for APM under the Control Panel. Again, I think it's the ALi drivers that caused this because there are two different types of Asus P5A boards based on the ALi AladdinV chipset, one that is totally ATX like mine and another one that had both AT and ATX power contectors.

Is it possible that the drivers are confusing which version of the motherboard I am running?

Thanks.

OK avalanche (wasn't this Final Fantasy VII Cloud chiefs?), nothing is wrong. Your BIOS is ACPI complaint. You only have to reinstall Windows 2000 in ACPI mode. To do it, boot from CD, and when prompted "press f6 to boot from another SCSI device...", press F5 instead. Choose "ACPI compatible system" from the list.

By the way, I also have an ASUS p5A mobo, and should download the lastest ali agp driver, since ali's chipset is know to cause a lot of problems in win2000.

[This message has been edited by someone_nt (edited 08 November 2000).]

Then try this way then go to the Device Manager Click on View | Show all hidden devices do you see "NT Apm/Legacy Support" ? if it there rigth on NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node click on Enable done deal if it not there add it thur the Hardware Wizard.

First of all, I'd like to let everybody here know that I'm very grateful for their help with my little problem. Now that that is done, I'll continue the saga.

1) I tried enabling the NT APM/Legacy node, and when the computer didn't show the "It is now safe to shut down your computer" screen I was sooo happy, but my happiness was dashed when instead of shutting down, the computer just restarted. I tried three times and it did it every time, just a restart, not a shut down. So the APM/Legacy node is out, I guess Windows knew better than me when it disabled it for me.

2) Onto someone_nt's suggestions. First Avalanche may have been a character in FFVII, I wouldn't know I never played it. :-) I chose the name because it's the model name of my electric guitar, and I'm very unimaginative when it comes to nicknames. :-)

But about reinstalling, I'm very new to the WinNT world, and I know nothing about reinstalling. First let me tell you what I do know: My copy of Win2K on CD is not a bootable copy, so I wouldn't know how to boot to CD without the install diskettes.

Also how will "overinstalling" Win2K affect my current install? Will it leave it untouched, like an overinstall of win98 did? Or will I have to reformat and do a clean install? I really want ACPI to work, but not if it means rebuilding my software yet again.

Again, let me thank everybody who's sent in there hints and tips, you've been very helpful.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Avalanche (edited 09 November 2000).]

Well, if you can't boot from CD, there is another way to reinstall Windows 2000 without floppies. Just put your Windows 2000 CD-ROm in your drive and let Setup begin. Choose "Start a new instalation" (do not upgrade). After coping some files, the setup program will prompt you to reboot. Do it.

Let boot manager automatically choose "Windows 2000 setup". When prompted "Press F6 to boot from another SCSI device..." press F5 instead. Choose "ACPI complaint system" from the list. Continue setup and reboot.

NEW METHOD(this not not so good, but won't require a new installation: go to device manager, choose "system", expand it, and right click on it. Choose "properties". Go to "driver" tab, and click on "update". When prompted, Choose "let me choose from a list". Then click on "show all hardware", and choose "Advanced configuration Power Interface systen" (or something similar). Finish setup and reboot. Windows 2000 will redetect all your devices and after some time, will reboot again. Now, you will have ACPI enabled, and Autopoweroff will work.

The only way you gone get ACPI is new Motherboard & CPU, Socket7 didn't come with this features sorry bud.

Thanks, someone_nt, you've been very helpful. Either I'm really dumb, or my hardware/software configuration is very different from what you are describing in that alternative way of achieving ACPI, cause I can't figure it out.

I want to do the reinstall, but I want to know if any of my settings are going to be affected with in the current install of 2000. I want ACPI, but not at the expense of reinstalling everything again, at least not so soon after this upgrade to 2000.

As for SHS, you are wrong. My motherboard does support ACPI, infact Asus has a whole long write up about it in my manual. Maybe you are thinking that my board, being a Super Socket 7 board is just an ordinary Socket 7 Pentium board, but it is not.

Thanks for your time.

[This message has been edited by Avalanche (edited 10 November 2000).]

Belive me mine said the something diff motherboard then your mine you.

If have it on just turn it off in the bios &

Change ACPI to Standerd PC in the Device Manager it under Computer.

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 10 November 2000).]

I agree wif SHS, you don't need to re-install

just goto "standard PC" in "computer" in device manager and update the driver from "standard PC" to "ACPI". Click on update drivers, click on "display list of of known...", blah blah, and select Advanced configuration and power interface(ACPI), ignore the rest as there for multi-processor PCs. Reboot!

Well this is probably the last post I'll make to this thread. I tried enabling ACPI by changing my computer from a Standard PC to an ACPI Uniprocessor System, and windows could not boot. I suppose if I knew more about using the NT Command Prompt, I could have used the Repair Console to change it back, but I'm new at this.

So I guess I owe SHS an apology, you were right that ACPI is not available on my system, even thoughmy BIOS, my motherboard manual, and Asus techinacl support said it should work.

Oh, one final bit. When doing the reinstall I hit F5 to see if I could get the ACPI thing to work there (since I had nothing to lose), but it didn't have it in the list, and to get info on it, it wanted a thing called "Windows 2000 hardware detection disk #1. I have no such disk, and have no idea where to get one.

So that is my tail of sadness, let it be a warning to any who may be in a similar situation. If ACPI doesn't work the way youthink it should, chances are you are wrong, Windows knows more about that kind of thing than you! :-)

no!!! it was "Advanced Configuration and Power interface(ACPI)" the mobo is most likly to be compatible to some extent or another. My old (now dead) FIC VA-503+ needed loads of bios updates, and the serial ports never worked in ACPI (used add on card), but at least my TNT worked! It didn't without ACPI. Do the F5 setup now!!!

I owe you an apologize too. I made you change your computer type from standard to ACPI, and I didn't remeber changing standard HAL to ACPI is not possible (but switching from ACPI to standard PC is).

But I ensure you ASUSP5A runs fine in ACPI mode (at least in my system). You have to do what other people told you in the previous messages. Try booting from Windows 98 CD, then replace your CD with the one of Windows 2000. Go to D:\i386\ and run "winnt.exe"

do a repair installation, and voila, your system will work again. Or don't do what I say, because maybe I've ruined your computer because I didn't explain me properly.

Sorry Avalanche.

Final question: are you one of those spanish who bought PCWORLD in march 2000?

My specs:

Asus p5a mobo (bios 1011)

riva TNT 1 card

sblive w liveware3

directx 8

windows 2000 in acpi mode.

Whoah! euankirkhope, calm down. Really jeeze. No it's okay, the only thing on my computer that doesn't work without ACPI is Auto Power Down, the rest is fine. So it's not that big a deal.

I said in my post I tried doing the F5 setup for ACPI, but it wouldn't give me the option, and I didn't have the disk it wanted to use to get the information.

And someone_nt, I have nothing but good things to say about your help. You didn't screw up my computer, it works just fine, I did a reinstall of Win2k, and all's well. Still no ACPI, but that's nto a big deal really when you think about it.

I'm not willing to reinstall again any time soon, so ACPI is out for the time being. But really everything seems fine.

Unless you guys can tell me some reason why something could happen to my hardware if I don't get ACPI working, I think it's fine the way it is.

And about that thing about spanish. No I'm Canadian, from the province of British Columbia in western Canada to be exact. :-)

Oh, and about my exact hardware/software list, it is as follows:

Asus P5A BIOS 1.007a (where did you get 1.011?!?!)

AOpen ALN-201 NIC (Cheap stupid thing!)

Voodoo3 2000 AGP

128MB PC-100

Win2000 SP 1 w/ IE5.5 SP 1

DirectX 8.0

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Avalanche (edited 12 November 2000).]

You can get the lastest bios at:

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_7/ALI_Chipset/ALI_V/P5A/

////////////////////////////////////////////

The reason to ask you about being spanish is because IDG sold thousands of PCWORLD magazines in March 2000, which had a fully working Windows 2000 copy. This copy was suposed to be a "120 day trial". After that time, these copies would not boot anymore.

But they made a mistake and they put full working Windows 2000 copies instead of the 120 day evaluation copies. So, MS really gave away for free windows 2000 to all PCWORLD spain readers. Also, these copies were upgrades from Windows 9x/NT 4, so you really couln't boot from them via BIOS. Few people buy upgrades from Windows, and they tend to buy a new version instead, which can boot from CD.

/////////////////////////////////////////

Finally, here goes my last atempt to bring ACPI to your computer :-).

If you ever have to reinstall windows 2000, you could try this to enable ACPI automatically at setup (no "HAL changes" and no "F5 key")

. Copy i386 folder from your Windows 2000 CD to your hard disk drive. Find a file named "txtsetup.sif". Edit its properties, so that READ-ONLY is not enabled. Then open it in notepad. Look for this section:

;

; [ACPIOptions]

; This section lists options that affect the installation of ACPI on x86

;

; ACPIEnable

; 0 - ACPI will be disabled at install time regardless of the BIOS

; 1 - ACPI will be enabled at install time if an ACPI BIOS is present

; 2 - ACPI will be enabled based on the GoodACPIBios list, the NWACL

; and ACPIBiosDate

;

; ACPIBiosDate = mm,dd,yyyy

; Supplies the date that a BIOS must have to be considered good if it is

; not in the GoodACPIBios list. If a BIOS has a date greater than this and

; is not in the NWACL list, then it will be used unless ACPIEnable = 0

;

[ACPIOptions]

ACPIEnable = 2

ACPIBiosDate = 01,01,1999

[NWACL]

FujitsuV66NAS=FujitsuV66NAS

ABitBP6=ABitBP6

ASUSP2B-D=ASUSP2B-D

ASUSP2B-DS02/03/99=ASUSP2B-DS02/03/99

ASUSP2L97-DS02/02/99=ASUSP2L97-DS02/02/99

ASUSP5A-B=ASUSP5A-B

ASUSP5A03/12/99=ASUSP5A03/12/99

CompaqArmada3500=CompaqArmada3500

CompaqArmada6500=CompaqArmada6500

CompaqM500=CompaqM500

CompaqPanther=CompaqPanther

CompaqPresario1692=CompaqPresario1692

CompaqPresario1925=CompaqPresario1925

DellCP???01/27/99=DellCP???01/27/99

DellLatitudeLT=DellLatitudeLT

DellInspiron3500=DellInspiron3500

DellPE1300=DellPE1300

DellPersonalWorkation1300=DellPersonalWorkation1300

FICPA2013=FICPA2013

FICVB601=FICVB601

FujitsuCAPRICOR=FujitsuCAPRICOR

FujitsuM63E=FujitsuM63E

FujitsuM65=FujitsuM65

FujitsuSPRINT=FujitsuSPRINT

FujitsuTANDEM=FujitsuTANDEM

FujitsuElm=FujitsuElm

FujitsuMaple=FujitsuMaple

FujitsuSycamore=FujitsuSycamore

GatewayE1200=GatewayE1200

GatewayE1400=GatewayE1400

GatewayProfile=GatewayProfile

GatewaySolo=GatewaySolo

Gigabyte=Gigabyte

HitachiFlora220CX=HitachiFlora220CX

HitachiFlora220MP=HitachiFlora220MP

HitachiFlora270EX=HitachiFlora270EX

HitachiFlora270VX-NH7=HitachiFlora270VX-NH7

HPAshaki02/24/99=HPAshaki02/24/99

HPHPCCD=HPHPCCD

HPKayakXUMP=HPKayakXUMP

HPLH4=HPLH4

HPPuma02/12/99=HPPuma02/12/99

HPScimitar=HPScimitar

IBMAPTIVA145=IBMAPTIVA145

IBMTP240SandShark=IBMTP240SandShark

IntelKauai=IntelKauai

IntelL440GX=IntelL440GX

IntelSea2=IntelSea2

IwillDBS100=IwillDBS100

MicronAtlanta=MicronAtlanta

MicronTrek2U375=MicronTrek2U375

NCRS20GX=NCRS20GX

NECPowerMate8100=NECPowerMate8100

NECVersaNote=NECVersaNote

NECVersaNoteC2=NECVersaNoteC2

NECVersaLXAGP+=NECVersaLXAGP+

NECZ1=NECZ1

SiemensMobile750=SiemensMobile750

SonyF290=SonyF290

SonyN505=SonyN505

Sonypcg777=Sonypcg777

Sonypcg888=Sonypcg888

Sonypcgf16=Sonypcgf16

SonyPCVL300=SonyPCVL300

Sonypcvs520=Sonypcvs520

Sonypcvs720=Sonypcvs720

Sonyz505dx=Sonyz505dx

SuperMicro = SuperMicro

ToshibaPortege3300=ToshibaPortege3300

ToshibaSatellite4030XCDT=ToshibaSatellite4030XCDT

Tyan=Tyan

ViaVP3A=ViaVP3A

[FujitsuV66NAS]

AcpiOemId="FACP","FUJ "

AcpiOemTableId="FACP","V66NAS "

[ABitBP6]

AcpiOemId="FACP","AWARD "

AcpiOemTableId="FACP","AWRDACPI"

AcpiOemRevision="<=","FACP",30302e31

[ASUSP2B-D]

AcpiOemId="FACP","ASUS "

AcpiOemTableId="FACP","P2B-D "

AcpiOemRevision="<=","FACP",58582e31

[ASUSP2B-DS02/03/99]

AcpiOemId="FACP","ASUS "

AcpiOemTableId="FACP","P2B-DS "

AcpiCreatorRevision="<=","FACP",31303030

[ASUSP2L97-DS02/02/99]

AcpiOemId="FACP","ASUS "

AcpiOemTableId="FACP","P2L97-DS"

AcpiCreatorRevision="<=","FACP",31303030

[ASUSP5A-B]

AcpiOemId="FACP","ASUS "

AcpiOemTableId="FACP","P5A-B "

[ASUSP5A03/12/99]

AcpiOemId="FACP","ASUS "

AcpiOemTableId="FACP","P5A "

===========================================

As you can see, ASUSP5A was not on the ACPI complaint list, because it fails to wake up from suspend mode. But you can force windows 2000 to install acpi anyway. Just change ACPIEnable = 2

to

ACPIEnable = 1

save this file and start Windows 2000 setup.

Try this method one day, when you have to reinstall windows 2000.

Well bud, believe it or not, this past saturday i installed win2k on a formatted partition for the first time. I've had the EXACT same symptoms as you--and have tried everything that everyone here suggested, including things on my own, plus ideas from people over at www.arstechnica.com in the openforum. You are using a RIVA TNT based video card. It turns out that this was the problem. I solved the problem today, and I am still completely amazed how easy it was.

What you need is a particular device driver, but not one available on the creative labs site.

Here is the site that you can get the NVidia 7.17 Driver from: http://zoiah.m3dzone.com/

Here is the forum posting that I found the link in (the actual posting is off topic): http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic...amp;m=988096582

If this does not solve you problem, plesae post here in case i experience more problems myself.

Polish Hammer

Okay since youasked for a post. No I don't have an nVidia based card, it's a Voodoo3 2000 AGP, like I said a few posts earlier. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm glad you got the problem sorted out, but I believe someone_nt as it right, the Asus P5A is not on the list of supports ACPI motherboards because it doesn't come back from suspend mode the way it should, so Windows automatically rejects the install of ACPI. He sent a very good work around a couple replies up, and I may use it some time when I reinstall.