Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmmijo

AMD Phenom ][ Model 955 CPU

Has anybody noticed these new CPU's reporting their core frequency different to the OS ???

I just upgraded my Phenom Model 9850 to this new CPU and now both Vista and Windows 7 reports a core speed of 800MHz instead of 3.2GHz.

The BIOS had already been updated and reports it properly, the ID string for both OS's shows the correct AMD Phenom ][ Model 955 in the registry for all four cpu cores.

The interesting thing is that CPUz shows a core speed of 800.1MHz x 4 which would come out to 3.2GHz, but why is it reporting it this way instead of the overall CPU speed ???

Am I missing something or what ???

Also, AMD doesn't appear to have any CPU drivers for either Vista and Windows 7, I wouldn't think this has anything to do with it as it's probable that Microsoft has already included the proper drivers out of the box.

The worst part is the very low CPU Index Score from both of these OS's, worse with Windows 7 vs. Vista but not by much.

It's sad that the older CPU reports as a 2.5GHz model and it's index scoring is much higher.

Any ideas ???

Resolved this matter with a BIOS update, I hadn't noticed it when I posted this thread.

I think it was just the older BIOS not properly identifying the CPU info properly to the OS.

No change in the CPU speed and the Windows Index went way up wink